F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone with RC toy hobby?
Studio RSR

08-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Anyone with RC toy hobby?

I got interested in RC car/plane/heli these days and was wondering anyone of you guys have any experience with it.

I would like to start with car first and perhaps move onto boat or plane.

What's the basics of the RC world?

What's the easiest yet most fun to play with? car? plane? boat?

What's the cheapest of all to play, maintain and upgrade and etc.?

What's the verdict between battery powered and gas powered ones?
Which one produces more power and longer play time?

Which brand to go with?

Any recommendations on a good forum site for the newbie?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

Hi
Here is an exsisting topic about the RC toys,
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...6&highlight=RC
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

Yup, what would you like to know? I've been in the R/C thing on and off since '89. Alot of things have changed since then. I do alot of airbrushing, here's some of my work.

This one was in RC Driver Magazine and RC Car Action Magazine recently.

Starting off I would say to go for an electric car. Expect to spend $1000 to get up and running. Try to buy most of your stuff used.

Here's a really good forum to get some info from.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/index.php

EDIT: I just saw you had some questions.

What's the basics of the RC world? Here are some recent changes to the RC industry. Brushless motors are becoming fairly common and it's great because you no longer have to worry about conditioning or maintaining the brushes. Lithium Polymer batteries are also making it into the mainstream. These batteries allow you to run faster and longer than their older counterparts NiMH or NiCD batteries. These Li-Poly batteries are bringing the electric cars up into the power range and run times of nitro cars. In radios you no longer have to worry about someone being on your frequency and taking over your toy. So be sure to get a radio with DSM (Digital Spread Spectrum)

Quote:
What Makes DSM Technology Different?
The most important thing regarding DSM technology is that it transmits in the 2.4GHz range. This range is well out of the frequency ranges that normal interference occurs on, which is generally below 300 MHz. This means that glitching due to things such as bad bearings and electric motors are a thing of the past when operating at this high of a frequency. Another benefit is the fact that the 2.4 GHZ frequency range is legal for use in both the U.S and overseas. So if you travel overseas to international events, you'll find that a radio equipment change is no longer necessary. Also, due to the short wavelength of a 2.4 GHz signal, the antennas on the radio and receiver are much shorter than what's typically associated with standard radio equipment. This means you can drive without a big metal rod in front of your face, and you no longer will find it necessary to have a long antenna dangling out of your car or truck body.
What's the easiest yet most fun to play with? car? plane? boat? I would suggest looking around your area to see what's raced and supported by local stores. You'll get bored just driving by yourself. So look around to find beginner classes to race in. I would go with a car because that allows you the most options to run. Planes should be flown in specific areas and in some areas you need a license. If you're near a lake a boat could be fun but still not as versitile. If you go with a car/truck you might want to look at buggies or trucks because you can run them on any surface. Most cars are only good for smooth surfaces because of ground clearance.

What's the cheapest of all to play, maintain and upgrade and etc.? I would suggest an electric car/truggy/buggy, etc. Nitro is fun but you spend alot of time tuning it. It has slower acceleration and can be a real pain in the butt if you don't know what you're doing. Electric is cleaner, has much faster acceleration and you'll be be running it more than tuning it. You'll be breaking some items in the begining to get a brand that is supported by local hobby stores. So when you break something you can just drive in and pick the part up. It's good to stock up on commonly broken items as well.

What's the verdict between battery powered and gas powered ones? See my notes above.

Which one produces more power and longer play time? With Lithium Polymer batteries. Electrics no have similar run times to gas. Power is comparable, but an electric equivilant will always destroy a gas version in acceleration.

Which brand to go with? Various brands are pretty good. Some beginner brands that are decent are Hot Bodies, HPI, Team Associated and Traxxas. For pro racing brands I'd suggest X-Ray and Serpent. If you're more of a collector then look to Kyosho and Tamiya.

Last edited by 561design; 08-20-2008 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
DannyZ
Sergeant Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW Z4 3.0i

I would suggest Cars at first ...depending on your ability to learn quick either start with a battery powered (beginers)because it really is just turn on and go..straight to the point. If you want to start a litttle more advanced get a nitro car (gas) in the long run it will be more fun and more power and less down time...believe me theres alot of down time unless you buy upgrades which cost $$$...but gas reduces them.

I had a Traxxas Nitro 4TEC...I agree that you should definatley buy one used. and either upgrade it or race/drive it as it is.

further more the actual fun part to me became the tinkering with more than the racing of the car.

I dont recommend helicopters and/or planes for beginers...they are way to difficult and expensive...last thing you want is to destroy your $3,000 RC plane, just because you hit an "air pocket"

By the way those airbrushed 350z's were sik.
      08-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i e36 m3

where can you buy these toys?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 561design View Post
Yup, what would you like to know? I've been in the R/C thing on and off since '89. Alot of things have changed since then. I do alot of airbrushing, here's some of my work.

This one was in RC Driver Magazine and RC Car Action Magazine recently.

Starting off I would say to go for an electric car. Expect to spend $1000 to get up and running. Try to buy most of your stuff used.

Here's a really good forum to get some info from.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/index.php

EDIT: I just saw you had some questions.

What's the basics of the RC world? Here are some recent changes to the RC industry. Brushless motors are becoming fairly common and it's great because you no longer have to worry about conditioning or maintaining the brushes. Lithium Polymer batteries are also making it into the mainstream. These batteries allow you to run faster and longer than their older counterparts NiMH or NiCD batteries. These Li-Poly batteries are bringing the electric cars up into the power range and run times of nitro cars. In radios you no longer have to worry about someone being on your frequency and taking over your toy. So be sure to get a radio with DSM (Digital Spread Spectrum)

What's the easiest yet most fun to play with? car? plane? boat? I would suggest looking around your area to see what's raced and supported by local stores. You'll get bored just driving by yourself. So look around to find beginner classes to race in. I would go with a car because that allows you the most options to run. Planes should be flown in specific areas and in some areas you need a license. If you're near a lake a boat could be fun but still not as versitile. If you go with a car/truck you might want to look at buggies or trucks because you can run them on any surface. Most cars are only good for smooth surfaces because of ground clearance.

What's the cheapest of all to play, maintain and upgrade and etc.? I would suggest an electric car/truggy/buggy, etc. Nitro is fun but you spend alot of time tuning it. It has slower acceleration and can be a real pain in the butt if you don't know what you're doing. Electric is cleaner, has much faster acceleration and you'll be be running it more than tuning it. You'll be breaking some items in the begining to get a brand that is supported by local hobby stores. So when you break something you can just drive in and pick the part up. It's good to stock up on commonly broken items as well.

What's the verdict between battery powered and gas powered ones? See my notes above.

Which one produces more power and longer play time? With Lithium Polymer batteries. Electrics no have similar run times to gas. Power is comparable, but an electric equivilant will always destroy a gas version in acceleration.

Which brand to go with? Various brands are pretty good. Some beginner brands that are decent are Hot Bodies, HPI, Team Associated and Traxxas. For pro racing brands I'd suggest X-Ray and Serpent. If you're more of a collector then look to Kyosho and Tamiya.
Wow!!!! Thanks for the detailed reply!!!!!!!!!!!
I 'll definately look into electric ones first. I can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZ View Post
I would suggest Cars at first ...depending on your ability to learn quick either start with a battery powered (beginers)because it really is just turn on and go..straight to the point. If you want to start a litttle more advanced get a nitro car (gas) in the long run it will be more fun and more power and less down time...believe me theres alot of down time unless you buy upgrades which cost $$$...but gas reduces them.

I had a Traxxas Nitro 4TEC...I agree that you should definatley buy one used. and either upgrade it or race/drive it as it is.

further more the actual fun part to me became the tinkering with more than the racing of the car.

I dont recommend helicopters and/or planes for beginers...they are way to difficult and expensive...last thing you want is to destroy your $3,000 RC plane, just because you hit an "air pocket"

By the way those airbrushed 350z's were sik.
Thanks for the reponse!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

My lil joy!
TA05MS

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32 View Post
My lil joy!
TA05MS

Wow I love it!!
Do you buy cover separate?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

If you want speed and noise and the novelty of an miniature engine - nitro

If you want torque and reliability - electric
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
DannyZ
Sergeant Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW Z4 3.0i

nice job on the BMW...yes you buy the cover of your choice seperate and paint/decorate it yourself(that is half the fun)

you can always tell who knows what they are doing by how clean and collected the keep their wires good job BNR32
      08-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32 View Post
My lil joy!
TA05MS

Nice.
But it looks awfully clean for a RC car. I wish mine was that clean and no damages mine is Savage truck so it is slightly different story I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
jimmy330xi
Captain
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: '06 330xI, '04 YZF R1

I got a helicopter not too long ago, an electric one, no previous experience, that thing is a blast. It was easy to learn too.

'06 330Xi, '04 CBR600RR, '04 YZF-R1, '06CBR600RR, '10 S1000RR
M-tech, Injen, Hamann, Remus, KW, Breyton
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I've been into RC planes for quite a while now. I absolutely love it, but it does require a lot of time, money, and open space! Remember, part of RC planes is actually building the plane yourself, which makes flying it even more rewarding.
Very helpful forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php
Fantastic Kit Site (Highly recommended!!): http://www.mountainmodels.com/