F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Paris, France. What To Do When You Visit!????
ARMA SPEED

12-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
eazydoezit
Front Line Infantry
Mexico
Rep
Drives: e92 TT AW

Question Paris, France. What To Do When You Visit!????

So I'm going to be taking a trip up to Paris from Los Angeles. I'm 20 and going to be going with some family. I have a stepbrother who's my age so I'll have someone to go out with at night.

Has anyone been to Paris? Any suggestions on good things to do/places to go (night life out there).

I kind of want to be ready before I get there so I don't waste time looking for good places to visit when I'm already there
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
I heard French hookers are good
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

so you don't really care about seeing anything except night clubs? or do you want suggestions of things you should see while you're there? if you want to see some the best of parisian tourist destinations, check out the louvre, champs elysees (and while you're on the champs elysees, check out the arch de triumph), eiffel tower, and versailles. eiffel tower can have some insane lines to visit during the summer, but i wouldn't worry too much if you're going off peak season.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
+1

5 euros or something.

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

I've been to most of Europe. I would start by saying Paris would be one of the last places to go, especialy now. Most of Europe, aside from maybe southern Spain, Italy and Greece are 'freeze your balls off' cold now and will be so for the next 3 months or so. The other reason I would not go to Paris is that they HATE Americans. If you get outside of Paris most of the people still remember that 60 years ago we saved thier asses from the Germans.

No matter what your political ideas are tell everyone you meet that the wars in the Middle East are terrible, you voted for Obama and Clinton was the greatest president the US has ever had and you will be fine.

My suggestion is to go farther south where the weather is better, the women are prettier and the people are nicer.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1911 View Post
The other reason I would not go to Paris is that they HATE Americans. If you get outside of Paris most of the people still remember that 60 years ago we saved thier asses from the Germans.

No matter what your political ideas are tell everyone you meet that the wars in the Middle East are terrible, you voted for Obama and Clinton was the greatest president the US has ever had and you will be fine.
+1 to all that. they do absolutely hate us (feeling is likewise though ), and no matter how much you try to blend in with everyone else, you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. and about the voting thing, that is also true...with most everywhere in the world right now, not just europe. it will just save yourself infinite amounts of stress if you just go with the flow in social scenarios. remember, you're a guest in their country, you don't make the rules and you won't change anyone's mind about their view of americans right now. it sucks, but it's true.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Just put a Canadian flag on your forehead and back pack and you're good. haha
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmstyle71 View Post
then you're screwed when they ask you about hockey
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Just tell them you want a Mc poulet
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
eazydoezit
Front Line Infantry
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
I'll make sure to check that out.

Quote:
so you don't really care about seeing anything except night clubs? or do you want suggestions of things you should see while you're there? if you want to see some the best of parisian tourist destinations, check out the louvre, champs elysees (and while you're on the champs elysees, check out the arch de triumph), eiffel tower, and versailles. eiffel tower can have some insane lines to visit during the summer, but i wouldn't worry too much if you're going off peak season.
Of course I care about seeing all the main attractions, that's why I'm going with my family. They have a couple of things planned out. We're going to visit some museums, landmarks, some nice places to eat, etc.... But of course I'm not going to ask my family where the night clubs are or how the night life is over there, thats why I'm asking here....
We are going to Paris, we have a hotel there, that will be our home base for 9 days. I want to try and go to Barcelona for maybe 2 days while I'm there. I did some research and found a train that can get me there in about 12 hours.... but I've also heard that there is some sort of "bullet train" that can get you there faster... don't know, I have to check on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1911 View Post
I've been to most of Europe. I would start by saying Paris would be one of the last places to go, especialy now. Most of Europe, aside from maybe southern Spain, Italy and Greece are 'freeze your balls off' cold now and will be so for the next 3 months or so. The other reason I would not go to Paris is that they HATE Americans. If you get outside of Paris most of the people still remember that 60 years ago we saved thier asses from the Germans.

My suggestion is to go farther south where the weather is better, the women are prettier and the people are nicer.
Like I stated previously, the trip is planned so our home base is in Paris so we can't change that now... I'm basically looking for places I should not miss beside the obvious ones like museums and the eiffel tower.

I also don't plan on going to France with a political mindset, telling every person I meet that America is the best country in the world. I'm going to be on vacation not trying to pick fights as a foreigner in another country. I speak Spanish fluently and have Mexican parents so I'll make sure to act like I'm a Spanish speaker rather than an overly proud American(which I'm not).

So yeah, I really want to try and take a 2 day trip to Barcelona while I'm there if any of you know any information on how to get there in a timely manner (besides flying) Preferably train.

Quote:
+1 to all that. they do absolutely hate us (feeling is likewise though ), and no matter how much you try to blend in with everyone else, you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. and about the voting thing, that is also true...with most everywhere in the world right now, not just europe. it will just save yourself infinite amounts of stress if you just go with the flow in social scenarios. remember, you're a guest in their country, you don't make the rules and you won't change anyone's mind about their view of americans right now. it sucks, but it's true.
I did vote for Obama, so if someone were to randomly ask me who I voted for (assuming they find out I'm American) then I will gladly say Obama. If they have a problem with that I will gladly have them French kiss my clenched fist.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
eazydoezit
Front Line Infantry
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmstyle71 View Post
Quote:
Haha I don't know anything about hockey
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

as far as i'm aware, there isn't a high speed train from paris to barcelona. the best way is by air, honestly. you can find cheap airfares from easyjet, less than 30 euros each way usually. but train if you must, it's just going to take a lot longer.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

but if you want to take a pretty cool high speed train trip, check out the eurostar to london. it's not spain, but if you're looking for a cool european train experience for a tourist, you can't beat the eurostar. unless of course you're taking trains through the alps
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
eazydoezit
Front Line Infantry
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
as far as i'm aware, there isn't a high speed train from paris to barcelona. the best way is by air, honestly. you can find cheap airfares from easyjet, less than 30 euros each way usually. but train if you must, it's just going to take a lot longer.
Alright, I'll definitely check out easyjet, thanks for that info.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #15
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

If you like beer get a Kronenbourg 1664, its really good. Other than that you won't have any trouble figuring out stuff to do, it is a nice city despite the people and you can also find that many people do speak english. The last time I was there was two years ago over christmas and new years we went to Paris for a day and it wasn't too cold, probably around 40 degrees or so and we comfortably walked around. Depending on how long you're there for you'll most likely see the main attractions (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre, etc) on the first day then see other parts of the city during the rest of your stay. No matter what enjoy your trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
jun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

go get a crepe!!

(talladega nights is on right now...)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #17
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1637 View Post
If you like beer get a Kronenbourg 1664, its really good.
+1 that's one of my favorite beers, although i didn't get turned on to it until i got to england one trip. they just started stocking it at some local beer stores here, i get it very often.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #18
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Check out www.raileurope.com if you were looking to go to barcelona.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #19
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Walk with a map in hand in any direction and look for numerous landmarks all over the city. When you get tired ...Stop at a cafe or patisserie, have a fabulous dessert or meal with coffee or tea, have a smoke (if you are a smoker) then get up and repeat.

Paris is a city to be discovered on foot ...You won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #20
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

With 9 days you have time to do a lot. Definately look at Euro-Rail. You could easily spend a couple days exploring Paris. Take an late afternoon/ night train to Barcelona and sleep on the train. That is the way to maximize your time.sleep while you travel. You can spend 2 or 3 days in Barcelona and retun at night as well. Y(u could do the high-speed train to London for 24-36 hours and then still have a few days at the end to hang out in Paris.

That might be a lot but if you think this trip is sort of one of those "once in a life-timers" it is worth the globe trotting
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #21
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

eat FRENCH fries.... ha ha ha
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #22
eazydoezit
Front Line Infantry
Mexico
Rep

Good Idea, If I do take the train I'll make sure to do a night trip....

And yes mr. mcfly, I'll try some French fries... haha
Appreciate 0