ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB F82, 2018 AW F86

Can I change my A/C knobs?

I have an '08 3.0i. I have the non-climate controlled air conditioner. While its fine in terms of keeping me warm or cold, the real problem I have with it is that the knobs just look really really cheap.

Anyone know if I can pull the knobs off and put on the ones from the auto climate control system? They are metal/rubber look, and dress up the interior a bit.

thanks
Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep

bump.

anyone have a creative solution?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
rollingstone
Rep
Drives: Z4c 3.0si

Have you actually tried just pulling your climate control knobs off? Because the auto climate control knobs include a little led indication for position, I doubt it's a direct swap.

Then again *grabs owners manual*... I've never seen the manual controls as mine is automatic. But looking at the diagram in the manual, who knows, they might slip on there. You likely wont be able to see the light for position, but if you are mostly doing it for looks, that might not matter to you.

You could try calling the parts/service at the dealer and just ask. Or they might even have a set you could try.
      03-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep

Yeah, at some point I was thinking about trying the ol' "pull it and see" but thought maybe someone else out there had the same problem with them looking so cheap and had a solution.

In hindsight, I wish I had the auto climate, but the car the dealer had with it was $10K more than the one I got, so I couldn't justify it.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
rollingstone
Rep

FWIW, the auto climate is only okay. I mean, it's not as sorted as some other cars I've had with it. And if I had a roadster, I'd probably have opted for the manual controls. My Z3 worked just fine with manual, and I found it easier to regulate on top-down days.

That said, the Audi TT I had for a bit had much better auto climate controls. I don't think I touched them once. I'm always fiddling with my Z4's controls, and I've got a closed cabin coupe. Looks notwithstanding, you made a good financial choice IMO.

Why not go to a dealer and check out a used Z4... When your in there, give the controls a tug. DON'T swipe them, of course, but you might get a good idea if they will fit or not.

Maybe I'll try to remove mine and let you know.

Cheers.
      03-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep

rollingstone: yeah, i went from a tt coupe to the z4 too, so i know what you mean. never had to touch my controls on that car.

maybe i will go tug on some knobs and see what i get. let me know if you happen to do it to yours.
thanks
rob
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrwalker View Post
rollingstone: yeah, i went from a tt coupe to the z4 too, so i know what you mean. never had to touch my controls on that car.

maybe i will go tug on some knobs and see what i get. let me know if you happen to do it to yours.
thanks
rob
Nope, my knobs dont pull off too easy, thinking this is a lost cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
rollingstone
Rep

robrwalker:

i spent a couple hours spring cleaning the zed this past weekend. while detailing the interior, i did give some effort to trying to remove the auto climate control knobs, but they held on pretty tight... enough that i didn't want to risk damaging something.

i checked for parts on Real OEM (see link). it seems the units don't have swap-able parts as they are each unique. but who knows... maybe you can just order an auto control unit and swap it?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...23&hg=64&fg=20
      03-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep

thanks rollingstone...when i upgrade my dash and console i am going to look into what, if anything can be done.

pretty sure from our efforts so far that the auto climate knobs will not be a good fit.

but i appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0