ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Mad_Mike
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 Roadster

Dice kit install - (Now Fixed!) with install tips and review.

Hi guys.

I recently bought my used Z4 on the cheap. It's pretty much loaded with the sport and premium packages. I think the only things it does not have are the CD changer and nav and I was able to get it for less than book for a base Z4. It has a few minor blemishes and it needed a a little work but it's otherwise in great condition and I got a whole lot of car for a little money. I put in new pads and rotors all the way around. The local BMW dealer (Fields in Daytona Beach - Thanks guys!) fixed an issue with the passenger airbag switch for free even though I didn't buy the car there. Some fresh plugs and a little TLC and it's been awesome so far. I REALLY love this car.

The two remaining issues now are a horn that doesn't work (fuses are good) and the CD player (not the radio) seems to stutter or hitch after extended play time (getting hot?). I figure I'll have to take the horn issue to my mechanic but...

With the killer stereo and a spare iPod mini lying around, I sprung for a Dice kit to mount in the trunk and enjoy a whole lot more of my music library. It seemed like a simple install, right? Wrong.

Here's the issue.

I downloaded a couple different PDFs showing how to do it and it all seemed simple but the whole where they say to find the connectors looks different in my car. The back of the storage compartment comes right up to the access hole and I cant get my fingers in to the little gap that remains to find the three and six pin connectors. Also the wiring harness seems to be much bigger with more wires. I've called Dice tech support and they don't have an answer (pretty pitiful).

Any ideas? Is there another way to access the space the connectors are supposed to be hidden? Should I look elsewhere? I've already found nothing in the speaker hole behind the seat.

Here's a picture of what I'm looking at. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Mad_Mike; 03-15-2009 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Tooky
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sterlinggrau / 2.2L / 2004

hi Mad_Mike,

What kind of radio have you got ?? Basic CD business CD or GPS ? Maybe have you got a picture ?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Mad_Mike
Registered
Rep

It's the business CD. (what a strange name for a car stereo system.)

Actually I was abel to find the three pin connector. I was expecting it to come out of the hole but while it was tucked in, the wires came from the big bundle you see here. Now I'm wondering if the six pin is at the end of the multi colored set of wires that branches off the same bundle as the three pin. If so, this could be a real pain because the connector must be stuck under the storage box and I'll have to start taking the back of my car apart till I can figure out how to get to it.

03-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Mad_Mike
Registered
Rep

Fixed - As an FYI to anyone who may have the same problem in the future. The 3 and 6 pin connectors WERE off of the same bundle and tucked under the center box. I had to unscrew two screws inside the box, then take a screwdriver and lift the box from the back to get the cables un-stuck.

From there on out it installed easy, but be warned. The Dice works great but has it's limitations. A large music collection takes time to navigate and you have to pause after each push of the button to let your iPod catch up to the commands. Also, it goes back to song/artist one after a long pause and you have to navigate from that starting point all the time.

It also looks like I'm going to have to re-set it today after it went a little crazy yesterday. Navigation (artist/song) went out the window along with text, so it's playing what is up in the Q and navigations is random and without labels. I think I screwed it up by pushing buttons too fast. Hopefully It wont happen all the time.

My first impression review - For the price, there is nothing else that beats it. BMW wants well over a grand to hook up iPod connectivity. With the Dice you can DIY for $150. The BMW unit is probably a lot smoother to use but if your on a budget and can deal with the limitations, the Dice kit works.
      03-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Z4MHawk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Roadster

Mike, I am facing the same problem. Can you post or send me the pdf's you found for the Roadster installation. I have found several on the coupe and there are significant differences. How did you get the carpet to fold up and away from the bulk head, and up from behind the battery? I am waiting on my DICE to arrive...so did they send good operating instructions for the Roadster? Thanks..
      03-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Z4MHawk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Roadster

Mike,

I no longer need the pdf files. I was able to figure it out once I got in there and started pulling wires. The 3 and 6 pin connectors are really buggered in the space below the lower glove box. The toughest part for me was threading the ipod cable under the box. Copper wire and duct tape did the trick. I removed the battery to help clear space to get the carpet up above the dsp unit. I am still fiddling with the set up...but I have music.
      04-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
bluedogok
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

I did this last night as well (owned it a week and half now), found out again at my size and age that I am no longer a trunk monkey like I was back in the installing days. The little pull cord thing was annoying in trying to get the panel out of the way.

I have a 160gb iPod Classic hooked to it and the delay can get frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster

I, also, would appreciate the pdf's for roadster install. Having difficulty getting the trunk panel up and out of the way.
Appreciate 0