F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW hydrogen hybrid technology under development?
Studio RSR

12-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Exclamation BMW hydrogen hybrid technology under development?

As reported on Bimmerpost homepage.

Is BMW possibly testing a hydrogen hybrid 1-series?

If so, it's good to see that despite BMW's recent introduction of its gasoline hybrid technology (as seen on the 7-series and X6 ActiveHybrids), the company continues to explore future efficient technologies.

Name:  bmw 1 hybrid hydrogen 3.jpg
Views: 2915
Size:  489.4 KB

Name:  bmw 1 hybrid hydrogen 2.jpg
Views: 2890
Size:  204.2 KB

Name:  bmw 1 hybrid hydrogen 4.jpg
Views: 2938
Size:  175.5 KB

Name:  bmw 1 hybrid hydrogen 5.jpeg
Views: 3607
Size:  88.3 KB
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Cool!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Innovative
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

I am not sure that is hydrogen as BMW has always used hydrogen in a liquid state (hence the reason they had to develop the storage vessel to keep it cold enough to remain a liquid). It could be Natural gas, propane or something along those lines. Hydrogen would have no need to be used in this manner- if it was to be used as a gas it would be used as a fuel cell vehicle no need for internal combustion then or for hybrid drive.

I would be interested to see what this really is.... ICE w/hydrogen it is not if you ask me. Also the sticker on the windscreen means the car produces emissions and the fees paid IIRC- someone here will know for sure!
      12-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
I am not sure that is hydrogen as BMW has always used hydrogen in a liquid state (hence the reason they had to develop the storage vessel to keep it cold enough to remain a liquid). It could be Natural gas, propane or something along those lines. Hydrogen would have no need to be used in this manner- if it was to be used as a gas it would be used as a fuel cell vehicle no need for internal combustion then or for hybrid drive.

I would be interested to see what this really is.... ICE w/hydrogen it is not if you ask me. Also the sticker on the windscreen means the car produces emissions and the fees paid IIRC- someone here will know for sure!
+1

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
cosmos515
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: I find what I keeps

This is NOT "H" no one pumps Hydrogen like that, seriously!! Hydrogen is very unstable when under pressure.

It might be propane, but who knows.

Looks like Helium tank, maybe BMW is making a flying car?
      12-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

This looks more like some sort of leakdown test rig for the fuel tank and evap system to me, instead of a hydrogen filling station.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Gotta agree with Jeremy - evaporative emissions testing. The gas bottle has an 'N" on it, I believe, Nitrogen?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
If I saw somebody pumping hydrogen into a car like that........id run in the other direction fast. Unless its some kinda of special car hydrogen that isnt so crazy when under pressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Gotta agree with Jeremy - evaporative emissions testing. The gas bottle has an 'N" on it, I believe, Nitrogen?

That would make sense. We use compressed nitrogen all the time in areas where we need clean, dry compressed air, but don't have a compressor. It's shocking how long a standard industrial bottle like that one will run typical air tools, so they'd last a long time in a leak testing application where you're just putting a little pressure on the tank and watching for it to bleed down.

I'm guessing that maybe the box on the cart is the monitoring equipment, and they're using the stainless lines to minimize expansion and make the test more accurate.

Edit:

As I'm going back and lookig at the pictures, I'm not sure the bottle is even hooked up here. It's hard to be positive, because that line on the wall runs right where the outlet line would be. They've got another line feeding it from the top, and that could mean that the bottle is there for mobile testing, but in these shots they've got it plugged in to their shop compressed air source.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #11
rot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: -

Exclamation

Can't be a hydrogen simply because BMW just stopped all of their hydrogen development! There will be no more hydrogen 7 fleet!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rot View Post
Can't be a hydrogen simply because BMW just stopped all of their hydrogen development! There will be no more hydrogen 7 fleet!
Not they have stopped the program- they have completed the 7 series fleet. as the E65 is finished and they have no desire to retro the system in the new model, and there is no point.

They are awaiting the hydrogen highway to be built. Work continues on new containment systems but that is about it.
      12-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
bmw is wasting money if they're continuing with hydrogen development.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0