F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I think I am dating a racist
GetBMWParts

08-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

I think I am dating a racist

I'm asian. I've been on two dates with a Korean girl. She seems to be pretty cool all around except for one thing. She seems to be a little discriminant towards non-asians. The way in which I first discovered this is when in conversation, I tell her I typically can date any nationality as long as they're cool and we click well. She said she only date asians. I thought to myself, hmm fine. Personal preference.

But it came up again last night in conversation and she referred back to this earlier conversation, she said she thought it was "weird" that I date non-asians. She's also said other little things which hints a bit of things along the same lines. I'm not sure I'd consider that completely racist because it's quite common for asians to only want to date asians. However, I do feel like it leans towards a bit of racism and it throws a kink into how I think of her since I disagree with this notion.

Aside from this fact, she seems to be cool and we get along great. We can talk for hours, and we have decent chemistry. I think she's got a lot of potential otherwise. But this bothers me.

What do y'all think about this?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Just because its common doesn't mean it isn't racist. It could also just be a part of her cultural norm. You really need more info. Does she express negative reasons or emotions toward other races, or specific individuals, or is it general inexperience?

I think racism is a term that is overly broad and used as a weapon these days, and I am very careful about using it, except in jest. For example, judging a group of people based solely on their race is inappropriate (racial profiling), while understanding that members of certain cultures often exhibit similar behaviors and basing decisions on that observation is acceptable. Its a subtle but important distinction, and this is where your issue with your girl comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Just because its common doesn't mean it isn't racist. It could also just be a part of her cultural norm. You really need more info. Does she express negative reasons or emotions toward other races, or specific individuals, or is it general inexperience?

I think racism is a term that is overly broad and used as a weapon these days, and I am very careful about using it, except in jest. For example, judging a group of people based solely on their race is inappropriate (racial profiling), while understanding that members of certain cultures often exhibit similar behaviors and basing decisions on that observation is acceptable. Its a subtle but important distinction, and this is where your issue with your girl comes in.
I feel like there is a lot of truth to what you say. I guess for me, I grew up always being friends with everyone. My best friends are non-asians. I hang out with non-asians. She seems to hang out with only asians. If it gets serious, it's possible it will work itself out and everything will be fine. But it's a concern that I have for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
+1 on it possibly being cultural or instilled from her parents or something. My gf is Albanian/Montenegran and if you know any recent history you don't really blame her for a predisposition against Serbians - it's not full blown racism but like you said, it's little quips here and there. Get to know her better and see how it goes - 2 dates ain't shit

Oh yea, and pics or gtfo
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
+1 on it possibly being cultural or instilled from her parents or something. My gf is Albanian/Montenegran and if you know any recent history you don't really blame her for a predisposition against Serbians - it's not full blown racism but like you said, it's little quips here and there. Get to know her better and see how it goes - 2 dates ain't shit

Oh yea, and pics or gtfo
No you post pics. Wtf does a montenegran look like!?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Oh yea, and pics or gtfo
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
No you post pics. Wtf does a montenegran look like!?
GREAT POINT!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
1ForAll
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
It could be how she was raised and influences from her parents. I am German/Brasilian and dating a Chinese girl. Her parents always told her as she was growing up that they wanted her to date and eventually marry another Chinese man. She has no issues with dating "outside" her race, but she was influenced with her first BF, with him being Chinese.

Also as stated above, she could have a reason for not liking a certain race because of something traumatic in her life...
GL with her bro
      08-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Against my better judgement (Mike should know where this was taken)

Your turn

Last edited by BTM; 08-30-2010 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

Well I'm Indian....and I can only speak of my experiences of where I stay, the UK. Over here, there is a lot of 'profiling'. The instrumental racism amongst each others is prevalent and until that is eradicated or minimised then there will always be strong opinions with the 'opposite' per se.

I myself am in the process of getting married next coming months and my partner is german/estonian. However, my family are of a very liberal background although they have strong religious views. They accepted my girlfriend as they would've anyone else that I brought home to meet them. I proportion this to being educated, cultural diversified and good people. Most that are 'racists' aren't sadly.
      08-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep

My turn....Day I handed her the keys

08-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

I think it has a lot to do with the culture and the way you are brought up. For example, most Indians do not marry outside our race mainly because the cultures, language, etc would be so different. It would be more difficult to instill those eastern world-views or long-standing family traditions with our children, etc. But, to say those people are racist is a bit premature or ignorant, imo.
      08-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
^lol. Why was it your turn?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep

To demonstrate a cultural diversified life I live, ok
      08-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

I think families telling their kids to stay within your race or culture, whether racist or not, is even worse than being a racist. why do you think brazilians are so beautiful, cuz everybody's fucking everybody. French, German, Asians, indians, Latinos, everybody. The more you mix it up the healthier and prettier your kids are.
      08-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
I think families telling their kids to stay within your race or culture, whether racist or not, is even worse than being a racist. why do you think brazilians are so beautiful, cuz everybody's fucking everybody. French, German, Asians, indians, Latinos, everybody. The more you mix it up the healthier and prettier your kids are.
Well the chicas are pretty hot...so could be some truth in that lol.
      08-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #16
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Against my better judgement (Mike should know where this was taken)

Your turn
cute gf
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
cute gf
Yeah, what did you do?? Drug her,
      08-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
Yeah, what did you do?? Drug her,
I'll just say that a secure phone line, drop point, and container ship were involved
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #19
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll just say that a secure phone line, drop point, and container ship were involved
After all that, you let her out in the City? Brave man!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #20
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
After all that, you let her out in the City? Brave man!
You can't tell in that pic but in my hand is a leash
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #21
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Almost all Asians I know are racist. And being a fob myself, I know quite a few to say the least. Therefore she probably is.
      08-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I've had some Asian friends in the past but never really was close with them. In grad school I have met a lot of Asians and I couldn't believe how close minded many of them were and how cliquey they were. Many will ONLY hang out with Asians. Many come from completely Asian communities. I actually have a problem with somebody coming to America and living in a community that tries its best to pretend they are back in Asia.
Appreciate 0