BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
cichlid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LeMans Blue (on order

Adding Oil

Wondering if I ought to add .5 Qt of Oil. The Level reads OK, but it's right in the middle of the display on the half way mark from top to bottom. 4000 miles until a change is due.

Also, seems like I saw there is some trick to getting the filler cap back on right? there's been a few posts about dealers doing it wrong and things getting messy in the engine compartment.

I know folks do their own oil all the time so it can't bee too hard.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

yes you can add of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
I know folks do their own oil all the time so it can't bee too hard.
It's not, but you need to know what you're doing. Plenty of reading material. When you get the 'Add +1L or risk engine damage', you can add that safely. With anything in-between, you have to understand how the sensor works. Basically you can be anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4L low on oil, but if you just noticed the level going down, 1/4L will bring it to FULL again. Therefore, NEVER add more than 1/4L at a time. Learn how to properly measure oil level and go from there. It's too long to type the details again (search), but always use same flat surface (garage), car fully hot (10-15 miles of driving), engine idling, and do a manual reset. Do this on 2 separate occasions before adding anything, just to make sure your sensor is being consistent. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
cichlid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It's not, but you need to know what you're doing. Plenty of reading material. When you get the 'Add +1L or risk engine damage', you can add that safely. With anything in-between, you have to understand how the sensor works. Basically you can be anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4L low on oil, but if you just noticed the level going down, 1/4L will bring it to FULL again. Therefore, NEVER add more than 1/4L at a time. Learn how to properly measure oil level and go from there. It's too long to type the details again (search), but always use same flat surface (garage), car fully hot (10-15 miles of driving), engine idling, and do a manual reset. Do this on 2 separate occasions before adding anything, just to make sure your sensor is being consistent. Good luck.
Thanks. I've gathered that over filling is far worse that running less than 1 Qt./L below full. Do you think topping up small amounts is actually important? We all love to baby the car of course, and a little DIY might bring back fun memories from the old days of the 68 VW.

Is there any special technique about replacing the filler cap? Seems like that causes folks/dealers trouble sometimes. Seems like it ought to be straight forward. May it's just a matter of getting it tight (or remembering to actually replace it) I've seen threads about that little oversight also.

Thanks again for you help.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
I would say more accurately that always add 1/4L at a time until the level is OK regardless of the ECU prompt.

I had that message and filling that 1L then created the "overfill" prompt.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I would say more accurately that always add 1/4L at a time until the level is OK
If oil level shows HALF, like after an oil change or when you first noticed it dropped from full, absolutely, as I said above. But if you've been monitoring your oil level (like you should), and after thousands of miles you get the '+1L' message, just add a bottle RIGHT AWAY.

Quote:
Do you think topping up small amounts is actually important?
It's always best to have all your fluids at the max level for obvious reasons. Having said that, not many owners feel confident doing this on their M3s since manual doesn't explain how, and you certainly don't have to do it. The main reason I much prefer to have level always topped off is I never have to worry about damaging the engine, nor having to carry a freaking bottle of oil (you can't find anywhere but dealers) on a $70K car, and having to use it at the worst possible time . But if you carry a spare bottle, you should be perfectly fine following the manual. Topping off this car is not rocket science, but like I said, you just have to know what you're doing.

Now, some important issue I've read a few times. Some folks argue that the '+1L' message you get is not that important because it's only 1 out of 9 liters of oil in there. What they don't realize is you can have a barrel of oil inside the engine, but if an oil pump sucks air, you know how good of a lubricant it is , so if you ever get that message, I'd pull the hell over and add that liter in there. The warning is issued for a reason... and that's why I prefer not having to wait for it . Have a good one.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
If oil level shows HALF, like after an oil change or when you first noticed it dropped from full, absolutely, as I said above. But if you've been monitoring your oil level (like you should), and after thousands of miles you get the '+1L' message, just add a bottle RIGHT AWAY.
I got that "add 1L of oil" message and added the full 1L bottle, and then the message changed to "overfilled" after a while.

That's the reason that I'm saying that regardless of the prompt add oil in steps of 1/4 to a max of 1/2L or you will run the risk of overfill.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That's the reason that I'm saying that regardless of the prompt add oil in steps of 1/4 to a max of 1/2L or you will run the risk of overfill.
Adding 1/2L every time you get that message is a very reasonable thing to do indeed; 1/4 is too little after the message IMO. But adding the full liter is not really overfilling anything. Plus you're following the manual .

If I was following the manual like most folks do here, I'd personally add 3/4L after the message, put a new bottle in the trunk, and call it a day . Hey, who'd have thought checking oil level would be so controversial . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
cichlid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Helpful advice. Great forum

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
cichlid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update,

I thought why fool around, I'd just get the dealer to do a between service interval oil change, and be happy. No harm except to my wallet. So I did that, but the oil level did not budge from the 1/2 mark after they were through. I drove the car 50 miles that day, and also did the oil check on level ground per the manual... still at the halfwy down to the add mark, no change I was about to go back to the dealer and complain. Next day drove to work, still no change. Then after 120 miles the gauge reads full, and has remained there.

Expected behavior or malfunction? Who knows, others have mentioned delayed reaction of the system to adding oil. Dumb system in my book.

Cheers. Be cautions with adding oil as folks have pointed out here and elsewhere
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Dumb system in my book.
+1.

Someone forgot to add the dipstick when they were designing the S65. It's nice having the car tell you when you need oil without having to go under the hood, but really, for that extra measure of peace of mind how expensive could it be to just add the dipstick?

I carry a bottle of oil in the car, wait until the 1L low message and then fill it. Never had overfill so I guess I'm lucky.

Cheers.
      09-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
cichlid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
+1.

Someone forgot to add the dipstick when they were designing the S65. It's nice having the car tell you when you need oil without having to go under the hood, but really, for that extra measure of peace of mind how expensive could it be to just add the dipstick?

I carry a bottle of oil in the car, wait until the 1L low message and then fill it. Never had overfill so I guess I'm lucky.

Cheers.
I carry a bottle also, On a club ride today someone else running low needed it.

Someone else mentioned that possibly the reason there is no dipstick is that the engine compartment is too crowded in the place where a dipstick would need to be.

I welcome a warning system to give the owner cockpit information about the oil level. That's great, but it needs to be accurate, reliable, and give real time readings. I Gather that an oil pressure, can't provide timely oil volume information.

I have a feeling that if a dipstick were feasible it would be there. It's too simple a thing to leave out without a good reason.

Probably the engineers intention is that folks wait for the 1 Qt low level, which they believe is safe for the engine, and not worry about the in between readings which are really only there to keep the owner informed.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

Accuracy of retarded M3 oil sensor is only +/- 1/4L so when you add oil, reset and monitor oil level display for a few days to make sure you didn't overfill. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I wait till it says add 1L and then I add 1/2-3/4 liter and then drive home. If it still reading low, I add 1/4 more.

The cap is not hard to fit, but if its overfilled, apparently it can spray oil past the cap and all over the place.
      09-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
The cap is not hard to fit, but if its overfilled, apparently it can spray oil past the cap and all over the place.
That has nothing to do with overfilling man. The cam gear is right below the cap, and throws oil directly at the cap. If you don't oil the cap's gasket like you do a typical oil filter, it can bunch up when tightened, making a royal mess in your engine compartment. Just smear some oil on the gasket with your pinky (and do the same on the engine side) and it'll never leak .
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Lubing the o-ring is perhaps a different story, but if the car is overfilled, it does blow oil past the cap as I mentioned. I've seen at least 2 posts about this.. search on it. The pictures are horrible!
      09-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #17
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Lubing the o-ring is perhaps a different story, but if the car is overfilled, it does blow oil past the cap as I mentioned.
If you want to believe that, by all means . My only advice is not to believe all you read, including my posts. But if you're going to state somebody's post as fact, I'd do some reading first . Signing off this thread. In fact, I'm not going to even read any more 'adding oil' related threads anymore; I've said enough . And there's enough to read for a weekend if the function is used. Good evening folks.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #18
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

When it blows past it's because either the cap wasn't on correctly or was overfilled. Overfilling creates an overpressure situation and the oil has to go somewhere. The filler cap is usually that place.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

I understand that the engine must be at operating temperature when adding oil, but it is not very clear the following: the engine must be running when adding oil, or it needs to be switched off before topping up?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 12:46 AM   #20
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
When it blows past it's because either the cap wasn't on correctly or was overfilled.
Just the former . The latter has nothing to do with it; oil pump throws same amount of oil up there as long as it's under oil. And the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) takes care of any extra pressure. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
the engine must be running when adding oil, or it needs to be switched off before topping up?
Reason engine is a mess when oil cap is not installed carefully (gasket bunched up) is because gear cam throws oil right at the cap. If you open the cap with the engine running, you'd make a royal mess out of your engine bay within seconds. Guess that answers your question .
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 02:19 AM   #21
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:

Reason engine is a mess when oil cap is not installed carefully (gasket bunched up) is because gear cam throws oil right at the cap. If you open the cap with the engine running, you'd make a royal mess out of your engine bay within seconds. Guess that answers your question .
Thanks
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
... Just smear some oil on the gasket with your pinky (and do the same on the engine side) and it'll never leak .
And then lick your pinky. This way you can tell that you're using the correct grade of oil. 10W60 is tasty. Seriously, good tip. Thanks.

Cheers.