Please visit one of the specific Bimmerpost sites above  

Go Back   BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Prowess Symphony
Major General

Drives: ///Mistress

Garage List
Stuck on a plateau?

There seems to be a limit to how much I can work out and build muscle before I just stop. It's like I plateau and can't progress to building more muscle so I get bored and stop and then can feel myself getting weaker so I work out a lot but then get to a certain point and don't progress or see or feel results any longer. Is this normal and I should just stick with it? It just seems like no matter how proper I eat or how long I stick with working out my body never progresses past a certain point and it's discouraging.
Prowess Symphony is online now   United_States
      04-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
IzzyGray
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3

Switch it up. This happens regardless of the sport and not unique to lifting weights.
IzzyGray is offline   United_States
      04-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Dalecan
Private First Class

Drives: Z4mcoupe

Have you tried negatives, partial reps, rest pause etc? Do you follow a periodized training program? Training is easy to start with, but once you start making gains it becomes a real science as there are so many variables. Most people actually overtrain and that's why they don't make gains.
Dalecan is offline   United_States
      04-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
Prowess Symphony
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecan View Post
Have you tried negatives, partial reps, rest pause etc? Do you follow a periodized training program? Training is easy to start with, but once you start making gains it becomes a real science as there are so many variables. Most people actually overtrain and that's why they don't make gains.
I don't know what negatives are. I just use free weights and do push ups about 2 or 3 times a week and jog or ride a bike for cardio a few times a week. Eventually I get to a point where I can't get past a certain number of push ups or reps with the free weights and I feel like I get stuck.
      04-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
954Stealth
Major

Drives: Market Share

You need to not do the same thing every time. It's a simple as that! As soon as you start stalling and feeling like you're going to plateau, mix up our workout. More weight/less reps or less weight/more reps. Hit different angles. There are TONS of different types of pushups to do. or just put some weight on your back and do pushups like that.
The point is you need to give your body a reason to grow beyond what you've trained it to do to that point. IF you only have pushups and free weights you want to do well there is quite a lot of variation there
      04-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Prowess Symphony
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
You need to not do the same thing every time. It's a simple as that! As soon as you start stalling and feeling like you're going to plateau, mix up our workout. More weight/less reps or less weight/more reps. Hit different angles. There are TONS of different types of pushups to do. or just put some weight on your back and do pushups like that.
The point is you need to give your body a reason to grow beyond what you've trained it to do to that point. IF you only have pushups and free weights you want to do well there is quite a lot of variation there
I'll try to change it up and see how that works. Thanks.