F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Whst is up with 335i drivers?
proTUNING Freaks

06-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Whst is up with 335i drivers?

Hey all. I am going to get flamed by saying this - so be it.

What is the problem with 335i drivers? I think that the 335i is a pretty decent car. Handles nicely, is comfortable, has very good acceleration etc. A nice compromise just as my Z4M is.

However, whenever I has seen a 335i - the drivers, more often than not, look as though they have something to prove. There are countless times that 335i drivers have tried to race me in my Z4M. I have never taken the bait because I have nothing to prove to a 335i, a Honda Civic, or a Mustang for that matter. I can't be bothered with G35's, & IS350's either. I have nothing to prove to a 18-wheeler either - they are capable of squashing me and I cannot touch them!

So - what is up with people who buy "The BMW 335i"? They should know better.

Last edited by enfield; 06-10-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
E90Boy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F33

Maybe in Canada they really want to let loose because there's only so many days to play with the car before it snows again.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
Hey all. I am going to get flamed by saying this - so be it.

What is the problem with 335i drivers? I think that the 335i is a pretty decent car. Handles nicely, is comfortable, has very good acceleration etc. A nice compromise just as my Z4M is.

However, whenever I has seen a 335i the drivers, more often than not, look as though they have something to prove. There are countless times that 335i drivers have tried to race me in my Z4M. I have never taken the bait because I have nothing to prove to a 335i, a Honda Civic, or a Mustang for that matter. I can't be bothered with G35's, & IS350's either. I have nothing to prove to a 18-wheeler either - they are capable of squashing me and I cannot touch them!

they're drunk on fanboy kool-aid.... It's not just you, I'd had several want to give my Vette a run. I've been more then happy to show them the error of their ways.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Boy View Post
Maybe in Canada they really want to let loose because there's only so many days to play with the car before it snows again.
WTF? You think Boston gets better weather? Look at a map. Toronto is farther south than Boston and gets much better weather too!

It has nothing to do with what country you're in. I find that the 335i drivers know that they have a fast car, but it's not an M. They probably know that most people don't differentiate it from the other 3-series bimmers so they feel like they have something to prove....y'know, like try to make a name for the 335i. They want people to say, "OMG, what was that car that zoomed by? A 335i? Wow, I'm impressed! That's not just a regular 3-series, that's for sure!"

When I see that kind of thing though, I just lose respect. BMW drivers shouldn't have to try so hard to get other people's approval. You should buy the car to enjoy it, not to impress others.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge View Post
they're drunk on fanboy kool-aid.... It's not just you, I'd had several want to give my Vette a run. I've been more then happy to show them the error of their ways.
You have to be kidding. They must be daft to give you trouble in a Corvette! 335i drivers need to enjoy their cars and not let their insecurities show - whether it is ProCeeded or not!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Boy View Post
I second takedown8. You really should look at a map
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
superman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i silver

A proceed 335i would smoke the current m series, sorry but true, and they probably try and race the vette, because with a proceede can give it a run for its money. When the v2 comes out, 380 whp and 400 trq will definately be above the current vette and right there with the 08 at 430 hp. I think its just guys trying to have fun, that's all. I don't think they want to prove anything, just have some fun with fellow owners of fast cars. Sorry enfield, if you race a proceede 335i, youre not going to see anything but his tailights, but then again you have an m series car, which has its perks.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
I know, those bastards! They probably have some mods and want to test performance. With some relatively cheap mods, the 335i would simply blow away a Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
When the v2 comes out, 380 whp and 400 trq will definately be above the current vette and right there with the 08 at 430 hp.
Current vette? Uh no. You are a crack smoker. 2005 and older Corvette, yes.

z06 Corvette 2006, 2007 has 505HP and weighs 3132 lbs. Not only is the stock Corvette above the modded 335i, it will *never* be worth it to make the 335i have that level of performance. You'd have to be producing over 565 HP in the 335 to approach that.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
spoondog
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

i noticed the same thing. everytime i get side by side with them
they'll try to race me. its like i have a chance. and there ususally teenagers
i just wish next time i encounter one , im on my r6, my crotch rocket will smoke that 335. not hatin' i would love to have one of this car but that new m3 is just right around the corner
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

The problem with 335i drivers is they think they drive a race car...when nothing could be further from the truth. They drive a car that can accelerate fast. Race cars can turn people. And a 335i...is not a car that is know for it's agility.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #12
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
The problem with 335i drivers is they think they drive a race car...when nothing could be further from the truth. They drive a car that can accelerate fast. Race cars can turn people. And a 335i...is not a car that is know for it's agility.
I agree with this. There is some illusion of power among many 335i drivers, because they simply don't know better. A lot of 335i drivers have not had the opportunity to drive different sports cars, so they think they have a "fast" car. If they actually had driven a fast sports car, they would not be going off bragging and gloating with an inflated sense of power. This sense of power relative to experience.

On the other hand, I wouldn't call Z4M "agile". It weighs 3,295 pounds! That's over 400 pounds more than an RX-7, for example. This is a bigger difference in weight than is the Z4M to the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

I might be able to see your point. On the flip side, I ran into my first z4 m coupe a few weeks ago at a stop light. A gentle left turn took us on a 1 mile, 2 lane on ramp to a freeway. I was looking at the guys car at the light, cus I luv the car! He pointed to the road, I shook my head no, he honked, I said no again, he honked a 3rd time I shrugged my shoulders. He backed off after about 4th gear as he was in my rear view mirror already. I didn't ask for it. I said no, twice.

So if you really want to get down to it, I guess it can swing both ways. The diff between you and me is I don't post it on the Z site.

Oh, and yes I have a procede.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #14
MIC328i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm pretty sure that's just the small potion of maybe younger and more arrogant 335i drivers you were dealing with. They probably will do that even if they were driving a lambo or a toyota echo regardless, and the 335i just happens to have great acceleration and speed which gives them the confident to do so more often. But again is just the individuals and has nothing to do with the overall 335i drivers.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
A proceed 335i would smoke the current m series, sorry but true, and they probably try and race the vette, because with a proceede can give it a run for its money. When the v2 comes out, 380 whp and 400 trq will definately be above the current vette and right there with the 08 at 430 hp. I think its just guys trying to have fun, that's all. I don't think they want to prove anything, just have some fun with fellow owners of fast cars. Sorry enfield, if you race a proceede 335i, youre not going to see anything but his tailights, but then again you have an m series car, which has its perks.

Chris
As far as the current Vette, you're assuming it's stock. Most Vette owners I know (myself included), the car stayed stock long enough to get it to the closest performance shop. It's why you buy the car.

That's the problem, a good number of Vette's will be modded to some degree while the percentage of modded 335's is low. That means it's reasonable to assume that in most cases it will be a stock 335 vs. a modded Vette, so in terms of cars to measure yourself against, that's a bad choice on the part of the 335 owner. In my area, the chance of me running into a Procede 335 is very low to non-existent. That's what makes them trying to run me even funnier. That being said, even with just my current mods even a V2 Procede isn't going to see anything but my taillights after the 1st couple of seconds. . Do I have the fastest car around, nope not even close, but I'm smart enough to choose my battles wisely. Will I run with something that will probably beat me but it will be a great race sure, but I'm not going to waste my gas on something that will obviously smoke me.

Yes, you see guys with Procede 335 post about how they stuck close to a C6 and based on that it's easy to think that you have a chance and if you run into a crappy enough driver, you do. But keep this in mind, for every time there is a guy w/ Procede who stays close to a stock C6 or other Vette and posts about it, there are probably several times where others ran into a modded Vette and got their ass handed to them. 9 times out of 10, you're not going to see them rush to the computer to start that thread.

Last edited by Carnage; 06-10-2007 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #16
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Current vette? Uh no. You are a crack smoker. 2005 and older Corvette, yes.

z06 Corvette 2006, 2007 has 505HP and weighs 3132 lbs. Not only is the stock Corvette above the modded 335i, it will *never* be worth it to make the 335i have that level of performance. You'd have to be producing over 565 HP in the 335 to approach that.
Actually at those levels it will be right there with the C6 in terms of power but it's still giving up 400 lbs. That being said, it only takes about $2K to push the stock Vette past what a V2 Procede will put out and about $4-5K to push the Vette to levels the 335 isn't even capable of reaching without a major overhaul that no one's done yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
lol i'm sure your just speaking to the younger crowd

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #18
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge View Post
Actually at those levels it will be right there with the C6 in terms of power but it's still giving up 400 lbs. That being said, it only takes about $2K to push the stock Vette past what a V2 Procede will put out and about $4-5K to push the Vette to levels the 335 isn't even capable of reaching without a major overhaul that no one's done yet.
You're right of course for the C6 - I did not consider that model. People do 12.4 in the 1/4 mile @ 113.9 in the stock C6, which a V2 proceded 335i, maybe even without exhaust, could easily do.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #19
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

This thread is ridiculous. If I paid $52k for a loaded 3, i'm pretty sure I couldve bought a Z4M or a Vette. It's personal preference. I don't have to prove anything because I could've just as easily had your car. Your M-badge whore "blow off the 3" attitude is just as bad, if not worse than the "lets make a name for the 3" attitude. There's nothing unattainable about a z4m or a vette.

Nothing personal, just my 2 cents
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #20
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
This thread is ridiculous. If I paid $52k for a loaded 3, i'm pretty sure I couldve bought a Z4M or a Vette. It's personal preference. I don't have to prove anything because I could've just as easily had your car. Your M-badge whore "blow off the 3" attitude is just as bad, if not worse than the "lets make a name for the 3" attitude. There's nothing unattainable about a z4m or a vette.

It doesn't have anything to do with being attainable or not, it's driving around like you have to prove something to others or show off. It's not just a 335 thing, I see 3-series cars in general doing it all the time, including when I'm in my 330. That's one of the reasons BMW drivers get a bad rap.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Little testy aren't we

I am sure that a ProCeeded 335i can out accelerate a Z4M that is not supercharged. That is not the point. The point is that enjoy your car and don't drive on public roads like a jerk. You could kill a little child.

If you really want to race then take it to a racetrack with proper turns and a Z4M that is unmodified will ProCeed to hand you your a**. I like that last sentence.... A classic
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #22
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This thread is ridiculous. If I paid $52k for a loaded 3, i'm pretty sure I couldve bought a Z4M or a Vette. It's personal preference.
I think the OP was referring to the comparative performance (that is power-to-weight, for example) of the two cars, not the comparative price. The 335i driver presumably perceives he has a car that has similar or better performance than the Z4M - hence the cocky attitude. Ironically, the cheaply modded 335i is much faster than the stock Z4M. Even though S54B32 presumably has better HP-making potential, I don't believe it is possible to cheaply mod the Z4M to have a better power-to-weight than the 335i.
Appreciate 0