F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Anyone considering Audi A5?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
johnson_ga
George
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sports - Now sold

Garage List
Anyone considering Audi A5?

Had 2 E46 330Cis (great car), but now have an E90 330i (saloon) M Sports. Terrible ride from the RFT (run flat tyres), and tyres can't be repaired (18" RFT cost £276 per corner - have had 4 punctures in last 6 months - ouch!). Fed up with poor BMW ride over broken-up UK roads and don't want to switch to an E92 as think it looks like a 'Hyundai' from the back (looks very 'plastic' and generic from the rear and the inside has lost that great 'driver-centric' positioning that the E46 had), and strongly considering an Audi A5 (Coupe) 3.0i TDI (which doesn't have RFTs and does have a driver-centric dash).

Do you think the A5 with sports suspension will really give a rough ride over the worn out UK roads? Surly with non RF tyres, it has to be a more compliant ride? It might have been cool if Audi had fitted the magneto-rheological dampers from the TT (switchable sports/comfort) - maybe they will later on? Quattro drive will be an advantage - I live on a hill and the rear drive BMW really struggles in the snow.

Know that the BMW E92 coupe always seems to earn a higher magaine rating (great drive, etc.), and all magazines critisize the A5's heavy front end feel.

Appreciate that this post will probably get flamed and that I'll get labelled a heretic for considering anything outside the BMW fold, however the RFTs (and lack of alternative acceptable BMW alternatives) really have got to me..................

The one BMW I would consider is a Z4M (non RFTs!) however with carbon emissions at 289g/km, I'm sure that the UK government will soon price this great car off the UK roads. Also the Z4M appears to have extra steep depreciation (ca. £10,000 in 6 months). Great looking car though (thank you Adrian Van Hooydonk) and a fantastic drive!
      07-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I think the A models are a bit too slow for what you pay for but I don't have the need for AWD down here in Southern California. The fit and finish on Audis is a step above BMW though. I would think about a S model before anything, although our gas prices aren't as bad as yours.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

no, but A3 is a good car for daily commute...
      08-12-2007, 03:17 AM   #4
johnson_ga
George
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Finally took the plunge yesterday......

Yesterday, I finally ordered new Audi A5 3.0 TDi Quattro Sport (Phantom Black (pearlescent), 19" 'Y' spoke wheels, Bang & Olufsen sound system, DVD Sat-Nav, B/T, DAB, Comfort pack, etc.). Will be arriving in Oct/Nov, and have had to trade in my E90 now (it's losing approx £500 per week at the moment!).

Sorry to be leaving the BMW fold - maybe will come back when BMW see sense and allow people to choose whether they want RFTs (rather than compulsory fit). Wife has a 120d (RFTs seem to work better on 16" wheels), so we still have some contact - maybe replace 120d with new 123d next year? 135i looks wicked, but just too much insurance/road tax/emissions, etc.

Have enjoyed this forum a lot - great advice, good atmosphere and helpful genuine enthusiasts - thank you everyone.
      08-12-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
johnson_ga
George
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
BTW.....

Advice for anyone in UK contemplating buying an E90 330i M Sports - please spec with auto gearbox. My manual has lost more in depreciation because it's a manual. All garages that have offered me a trade in have said "of course, if it was an auto.............."!

"Follow your passion".