Please visit one of the specific Bimmerpost sites above  

Go Back   BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #23
splitsecond
Space Admiral
 
splitsecond's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago

Posts: 317
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
It's important to recognize that it's a small number of people who act like idiots. 99% of Muslims condemn the people who say stupid stuff like that.

Every religion has idiots, but our media shows the Muslim ones, Middle Eastern media shows the Christian ones, Pakistani media shows the Christian and Hindu ones, South Korean media shows the North Korean ones, etc. And that only makes the rift bigger.
splitsecond is offline   United_States
0
      10-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
OldArmy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central Virginia

Posts: 523
iTrader: (0)

I feel for the vast majority of Muslims who abhor the hijacking of their religion, I really do. But facts are facts and the radicals have the steering wheel and have established themselves as the face of Islam. If moderates don't like their actions it would be nice to hear from them, en masse. Perhaps they might even kill a few radicals here and there to send a message. But in the meantime, Islam and Muslims are a very real danger to western countries and they have to be dealt with.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
0
      10-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
Neph
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 328i E92, Sport, 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ///Milky way

Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy
I feel for the vast majority of Muslims who abhor the hijacking of their religion, I really do. But facts are facts and the radicals have the steering wheel and have established themselves as the face of Islam. If moderates don't like their actions it would be nice to hear from them, en masse. Perhaps they might even kill a few radicals here and there to send a message. But in the meantime, Islam and Muslims are a very real danger to western countries and they have to be dealt with.
Listen to yourself. " If you don't like the situation kill them." Look at your username , too one dimensional to go on any further. How could anyone have a discussion with you?

Unfortunately, oldarmy and other foxnewsers don't get out of their comfort zone to realize that these attacks WERE condemned by many bodies of authority in the Muslim world.

I would also challenge you to provide one example of how Islam is incompatible with the west based on what's in the Quran. Anyone.

Because the same ideas are in Judaism and Christianity. Know why? They are both simply named Judaism and Christianity when in fact those three religions ARE Islam. true submission to God IS Islam.

I really would like to hear more from ppl here as most ppl disregard religion especially those outside what they've been brought up as.
Neph is offline  
0
      10-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,453
iTrader: (32)

Garage List
Let's please try to differentiate between Islam, and Muslims
They are not one and the same
The fact that some people are idiots, should not reflect badly on a religion
The violence that started due to this movie, is not justified by the religion

And the first mistake you are all doing, is looking at the islamic countries with western eyes
You can't do that
What seems normal here, isn't normal globally
That's partially western imperialist thinking
That we are so much better than them
You're not, and neither are they
Different parts of the world have different rules, systems
Doesn't mean they are wrong.
and it doesn't mean your right either

I'm lucky that I'm Muslim,and I've lived abroad half of my life
So I understand both sides

I just don't understand why it's so hard for Americans to fathom that Muslims hold god, and Mohammed in such high esteem.
It's a foreign thing for Americans.
heck I get offended when its something that reflect badly on Jesus
I was recently at a Madonna concert, and I didn't like the fact that she used the cross with the letters M D N A on it
That's a religious sign, and should be held in respect
Not used for personal financial gain

As for the whole freedom of speech thing
That's just BS
I'm not saying I don't believe in freedom of speech, I do
But freedom of speech does not mean you say whatever you want
In most countries in Europe, if you say the holocaust never happened, you'd go straight to jail
Do I have the freedom of speech to call a black guy the N word?
No
Because freedom of speech is not the same as being able to say anything to anyone, anytime. Thats not freedom, that's anarchy

The reaction to the movie was wrong
But so was the whole, we should never say sorry, and this is our freedom of speech
Your freedom ends when it encroaches on someone else's freedoms
I just wish before people judge Islam. That they'd read up on it
Somewhere other than fox news
And if anyone thinks Islam is a violent region, I have some interesting quotes from the bible that show christianity has the same thing.
No religion is perfect, and furthermore it's the people who follow it that really mess it up
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
      10-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #27
a08335k
Private First Class
 
a08335k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 158
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Let's please try to differentiate between Islam, and Muslims
They are not one and the same
The fact that some people are idiots, should not reflect badly on a religion
The violence that started due to this movie, is not justified by the religion

And the first mistake you are all doing, is looking at the islamic countries with western eyes
You can't do that
What seems normal here, isn't normal globally
That's partially western imperialist thinking
That we are so much better than them
You're not, and neither are they
Different parts of the world have different rules, systems
Doesn't mean they are wrong.
and it doesn't mean your right either

I'm lucky that I'm Muslim,and I've lived abroad half of my life
So I understand both sides

I just don't understand why it's so hard for Americans to fathom that Muslims hold god, and Mohammed in such high esteem.
It's a foreign thing for Americans.
heck I get offended when its something that reflect badly on Jesus
I was recently at a Madonna concert, and I didn't like the fact that she used the cross with the letters M D N A on it
That's a religious sign, and should be held in respect
Not used for personal financial gain

As for the whole freedom of speech thing
That's just BS
I'm not saying I don't believe in freedom of speech, I do
But freedom of speech does not mean you say whatever you want
In most countries in Europe, if you say the holocaust never happened, you'd go straight to jail
Do I have the freedom of speech to call a black guy the N word?
No
Because freedom of speech is not the same as being able to say anything to anyone, anytime. Thats not freedom, that's anarchy

The reaction to the movie was wrong
But so was the whole, we should never say sorry, and this is our freedom of speech
Your freedom ends when it encroaches on someone else's freedoms
I just wish before people judge Islam. That they'd read up on it
Somewhere other than fox news
And if anyone thinks Islam is a violent region, I have some interesting quotes from the bible that show christianity has the same thing.
No religion is perfect, and furthermore it's the people who follow it that really mess it up
Well said.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i ; premium package ; sport package ;
a08335k is offline  
0
      10-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #28
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
 
DieselDiner's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Home

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (2)

The attack on the consulate in Benghazi had nothing to do with any movie; it was a coordinated attack by al-Qaeda.

Statements such as "I just don't understand why it's so hard for Americans to fathom that Muslims hold god, and Mohammed in such high esteem.
It's a foreign thing for Americans" demonstate the same kind of xenophobic mentality you claim to be superior to, sinice you've "lived abroad half of my life". Anyone who would attempt to describe the citizens of this country as one similar monobloc doesn't know very much about our populace.

I am offended by the statement "As for the whole freedom of speech thing
That's just BS
I'm not saying I don't believe in freedom of speech, I do
But ". Always a but with someone who really doesn't believe in free speech.

I agree that the concept of free speech is difficult, and a slippery slope. I'm thankful we have a Constitution and a legal system to define it for our citizens, instead of your definition. I am offended quite frequently with things I read and hear, but being offended is part of free speech sometimes. I have no desire for the European definition of "free speech", which seems to be whatever the government will allow, and what is politically correct.

Here's an example of how free speech works in the United States: remember the uproar over the comments by the president of Chick-fil-a regarding gay marriage? At least it was an uproar by some who were offended. The gay/lesbian community organized a kiss in at the restaurants. Meanwhile, those who supported the president's right to say whatever he said organized a support day on a Wednesday, and encouraged supporters to buy meals at Chick fil A that day.

Both groups conducted their days, and guess what? Not a single violent protest by any gay/lesbian group, nor by any group of Chick-fil-A supporters. And when the dust had cleared, the company said it would stay out of the politcal arena, and reiterated its support for all customers in its communities.

That, my friend, is how free speech works.
__________________
DieselDiner is offline  
0
      10-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
Fox128i
First Lieutenant
 
Fox128i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E82
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dromund Kaas

Posts: 318
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 128i  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
The attack on the consulate in Benghazi had nothing to do with any movie; it was a coordinated attack by al-Qaeda.

Statements such as "I just don't understand why it's so hard for Americans to fathom that Muslims hold god, and Mohammed in such high esteem.
It's a foreign thing for Americans" demonstate the same kind of xenophobic mentality you claim to be superior to, sinice you've "lived abroad half of my life". Anyone who would attempt to describe the citizens of this country as one similar monobloc doesn't know very much about our populace.

I am offended by the statement "As for the whole freedom of speech thing
That's just BS
I'm not saying I don't believe in freedom of speech, I do
But ". Always a but with someone who really doesn't believe in free speech.

I agree that the concept of free speech is difficult, and a slippery slope. I'm thankful we have a Constitution and a legal system to define it for our citizens, instead of your definition. I am offended quite frequently with things I read and hear, but being offended is part of free speech sometimes. I have no desire for the European definition of "free speech", which seems to be whatever the government will allow, and what is politically correct.

Here's an example of how free speech works in the United States: remember the uproar over the comments by the president of Chick-fil-a regarding gay marriage? At least it was an uproar by some who were offended. The gay/lesbian community organized a kiss in at the restaurants. Meanwhile, those who supported the president's right to say whatever he said organized a support day on a Wednesday, and encouraged supporters to buy meals at Chick fil A that day.

Both groups conducted their days, and guess what? Not a single violent protest by any gay/lesbian group, nor by any group of Chick-fil-A supporters. And when the dust had cleared, the company said it would stay out of the politcal arena, and reiterated its support for all customers in its communities.

That, my friend, is how free speech works.

Well said my fellow Bimmer fan.
__________________
Deutsche Bahn, DB | Österreichische Bundesbahnen, ÖBB | Schweizerische Bundesbahnen, SBB
Fox128i is offline   Germany
0
      10-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #30
carve
Major
 
carve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neph View Post

I would also challenge you to provide one example of how Islam is incompatible with the west based on what's in the Quran. Anyone.

Because the same ideas are in Judaism and Christianity. Know why?
Simple- Muslim nations still commonly practice the cruel, barbaric bronze age crap in their magic book, while nations comprised primarily of the other two Abrahamic religions have moved on. When is the last time you heard of a public stoning in a predominately Christian or secular nation?

What has Islam done to earn respect?

Last edited by carve; 10-08-2012 at 09:08 AM.
carve is offline  
0
      10-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #31
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,347
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
I feel for the vast majority of Muslims who abhor the hijacking of their religion, I really do. But facts are facts and the radicals have the steering wheel and have established themselves as the face of Islam. If moderates don't like their actions it would be nice to hear from them, en masse. Perhaps they might even kill a few radicals here and there to send a message. But in the meantime, Islam and Muslims are a very real danger to western countries and they have to be dealt with.
*facepalm*

How can you start by talking about the hijacking of Islam (which suggests you understand the difference between Islam and terrorism) and then conclude by saying "Islam and Muslims are a very real danger..." That is not only factually incorrect but insulting. I'm a Muslim and I'm no danger/threat to anyone.
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST