Please visit one of the specific Bimmerpost sites above  

Go Back   BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

09-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.

Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Exclamation Science saved my soul

I just thought you guys would really enjoy this. I couldn't agree more with Phil, the author of this vid.

Brilliant take on things!
      09-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
litt
Enlisted Member

Drives: Z4MC, X3 35i

Interesting video, thanks for posting. I think perspective has the biggest influence on how we see and interpret things. Where one person sees miracles, another person sees luck. Where one person sees coincidence, another person will see the supernatural. And where one person sees science, another person sees the workings of God. This video actually reinforces my belief in God. I once took apart a ball point pen and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to put the stupid thing back together. Yet here we sit, amidst a grand universe that we cannot begin to understand that seems to operate in perfection, allowing us to survive, grow, experience, and be a part of it. Is this the workings of science? Or is it the workings of a God? Or is there really any difference between the two? I believe the later.
      09-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.

Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

^ Science, due to our primitive lack of understanding of it has always allowed the creation of religion, and its entrance into our belief system. How that interplays with a religion-less "god" is another story, but Im talking about the premise of religion, and thus lastly; god here.
1500-2000 years ago, the perceived universe, space and the stars would boggle anyone's mind due to a hopeless lack of understanding of what it really is up there in the sky, and how it inter-relates to us and the other aspects of it. It makes perfect sense people would chock it up to a "higher power" being behind it in any fashion.

Only now through creations of science (such as the Hubble) are we starting to piece together a more well-formed opinion of how things really work.
You're right, there is and always will be (at least in the next 1000 years) always be much much more to learn about it, but like the astrology pioneers of 1000 years ago, that never led them to be dumbfounded from exploring the realms of it, and what it means.
I think it was their undeterred fascination with what is: that created the groundbreaking understanding that we partake in today.

Its intriguing to see how much the church tried to squash the findings of the earliest astronomers, such as Galileo.
      09-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
litt
Enlisted Member

Drives: Z4MC, X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Only now through creations of science (such as the Hubble) are we starting to piece together a more well-formed opinion of how things really work.
You're right, there is and always will be (at least in the next 1000 years) always be much much more to learn about it, but like the astrology pioneers of 1000 years ago, that never led them to be dumbfounded from exploring the realms of it, and what it means.
I think it was their undeterred fascination with what is: that created the groundbreaking understanding that we partake in today.

Its intriguing to see how much the church tried to squash the findings of the earliest astronomers, such as Galileo.
Do you believe that we really do have a well-formed opinion of how things work? I bet people 1500 years ago thought they did. I would put my money on 1500 years from now people laughing at us an our primitive understanding of the universe.

An honest question about Hubble because I really don't know.....has the Hubble actually led us to scientific proof of anything or just allowed us to form more theories?

Agreed on finding it interesting how certain religions tried to squash progressive thinking.
      10-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
JoeyO
Lieutenant

Drives: silver car

I stopped it around a 1/3 rd of the way through. It was dragging on a little too long.

These are my thoughts:

The more I know, the more I believe in God.

For every answer I find, it raises two more questions.

Man has not come a long way in understanding the Universe. He may have come a long way when compared to the Middle Ages, but when compared to time itself and the entire scale of the universe, he really has learned squat.

FYI: My background is in science. Undergrad BS in physics. Graduate degree in Engineering. I've been in the engineering field all my life. So if there were anyone who believes science can replace religion, it would me. Now I'm not a holy roller and haven't been to church in years, but neither am I an atheist. I'm just somebody who doesn't have the answers.

Last edited by JoeyO; 10-01-2012 at 05:49 PM.
JoeyO is offline   United_States
      10-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
loveskiing
Private

Drives: N/A

Great video...many thanks to you Graham for posting it...I love it when folks present things and encourage frank and open dialogue...the willingness to open one's mind and consciousness to other experiences only serves one to gain wisdom and understanding rather than stay stuck in a narrow sliver of what you thought you knew.
I found the video thought provoking...where is the confluence between religion, spirituality and God? As another poster indicated, sometimes we see things as we are...instead of how they are...how we are choosing to interpret the data...what to give more credence to and what we choose to give less.
I will say that there have been more people killed in the name of God than most anything else and that is most unfortunate. As the video pointed out, how do we get to a point where someone in a particular religion beautifies everything they believe when denigrating "the other" as unholy or sinful? Apparently they might have passed over the root of the word sin coming from the Greek word which simply means to "miss the mark" or "to miss the target" as in how about doing it again, instead of self deprecation.
I really liked the piece of all being one...of the sense of interconnection...
whether it is a new born baby or a distant nova...we all come from the same source...that's powerful
Thanks for the posting!
loveskiing is offline   United_States
      10-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
MCS
e90 newbie

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Fascinating video. Thanks for posting.

I'm more of the mindset with JoeyO. With all the understanding of the universe, it causes us to question more.