Please visit one of the specific Bimmerpost sites above  

Go Back   BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

10-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Mitt Romney's garbage man

How utterly pathetic is this guy's view? The idiots in the liberal media are eating it up.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/r...-election.html

A labor union that supports President Barack Obama's re-election campaign has released an attack ad that features a sanitation worker collecting trash outside Mitt Romney's multimillion-dollar California mansion.
"My name is Richard Hayes, and I pick up Mitt Romney's trash," the man says to the camera in the 60-second Web ad. "We're kind of like the invisible people, you know. He doesn't realize, you know, that the service we provide, you know, if it wasn't for us, you know, it would be a big health issue, us not picking up trash."
"Picking up 15, 16 tons by hand, you know that takes a toll on your body," Hayes continued. "When I'm 55, 60 years old, I know my body's going to be break down. Mitt Romney doesn't care about that."
The head of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, which produced the spot, says it's a direct response to the Republican presidential nominee's controversial "47 percent" comments that have dogged him of late.
"Mitt Romney's '47 percent' videotape revealed his contempt for tens of millions of Americans," AFSCME President Lee Saunders wrote in a blog post. "Romney seems only to be relaxed and at ease when he is surrounded by other millionaires and people willing to pay $50,000 to share a meal with him. And it is only those wealthy donors who get to know what is really on his mind. They spend more money than most Americans make in a year to ask Mitt Romney questions and listen to his reckless banter about Americans like Richard Hayes."
Hayes' route includes Romney's $12 million La Jolla, Calif., mansion—"the house where he's putting in an elevator for his cars," wrote Saunders.
"No one forced Romney to trash these Americans," he continued. "He was simply stating, to a privileged audience behind closed doors, what he really believes. He never expected that his remarks would be heard by the wider public."
The Romney camp said it was unimpressed with the ad. "It's not surprising that a liberal special interest group is trying to distract from President Obama's failed agenda with dishonest political attacks," Romney campaign spokesman Ryan Williams said in a statement to Yahoo News. "President Obama has consistently sided with union bosses over middle class workers by supporting big government policies that have killed jobs, pushing for disastrous card check legislation that would take away the right to a secret ballot in the workplace, and stacking the National Labor Relations Board with their political cronies. As president, Mitt Romney will promote pro-growth policies that will get our country back on track and create economic opportunity for every American."
The ad is the first of three attacking Romney produced by the union. But Saunders recently insisted the AFSCME was nonpartisan.
"Let me be perfectly clear about this: Our union does not work for any political party; we work for justice and fairness in the workplace," he said at the AFSCME's annual meeting in June. "If someone takes us on, it does not matter whether they are a Democrat or a Republican, conservative or liberal. We must hold politicians of all political stripes accountable for what they say and what they do. Because when it comes to what affects our members and our rights, it's not about left versus right; it's about right versus wrong."
Still, Saunders told attendees, "We must work our hearts out to re-elect President Obama."
      10-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
rohms3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 328i

More about Mitt and his $12 million dollar house. This guy really is pathetic.

Maybe we should interview Obama's trash guy after he moves into his $35 million dollar mansion in Hawaii?
rohms3 is offline   United_States
      10-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
I for one agree with this guy's view.

Mitt Romney has not done a very good job to convince me that he is willing to fight for the average american. When Mitt Romney comes out and says he thinks middle-income is 200-$250k (http://www.businessinsider.com/romne...-income-2012-9), I don't feel as though he is willing to fight for the needs of the average american. When he tells a room full of donors that he isn't interested in the 47% of Americans who don't pay income tax, I don't feel as though he is willing to fight for those 47%. Even though some of them might be elderly or possibly a soldier fighting in a war.

So yes, I agree with this guy's view that Romney doesn't support or understand the needs of a large part of American citizens.

And would it be possible to format your citation in a way that is readable? Man that is some jumbled together stuff from the OP. Carriage return is your friend.
      10-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
txz4
Major

Drives: 2006 M coupe

Bottom line is who is fighting for a better climate for businesses that employ. The people in this country can bitch and moan about every specific thing the Gov. does that will directly benefit them, while all the while pissing on any and all things that may actually improve the current situation. Its shortsightedness is what it is....

Lets totally gloss over the fact that Romney is you know....that pesky thing called THE CUSTOMER in this situation. Furthermore i didn't realize garbage men worked for free you know, and out of the goodness of heart you know, keeping the streets clean. You know?

Stuff like this makes me sick because its a blatant emotional attack and nothing more. Who cares if Romney doesn't think about his garbage man, ive never given a thought to mine! Reason? because i PAY FOR THE SERVICE. Romney needs to spend his time thinking about the economy and its affects on the people of this nation, not what some garbage man thinks will help him (outside of picking up the trash that is).
      10-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook
I for one agree with this guy's view.

Mitt Romney has not done a very good job to convince me that he is willing to fight for the average american. When Mitt Romney comes out and says he thinks middle-income is 200-$250k (http://www.businessinsider.com/romne...-income-2012-9), I don't feel as though he is willing to fight for the needs of the average american. When he tells a room full of donors that he isn't interested in the 47% of Americans who don't pay income tax, I don't feel as though he is willing to fight for those 47%. Even though some of them might be elderly or possibly a soldier fighting in a war.

So yes, I agree with this guy's view that Romney doesn't support or understand the needs of a large part of American citizens.

And would it be possible to format your citation in a way that is readable? Man that is some jumbled together stuff from the OP. Carriage return is your friend.
Just like you think we blow what Obama said about not building that out of proportion, you are CLEARLY twisting what he said about VOTERS and winning the election. You want it to mean something else, but TRY and take a step, look at what he actually said in the transcript, and if you can say the same thing with a straight face then I'm sorry we'll just have to agree to disagree.
      10-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Lots of manipulative spin in the original message, definitely calculated to play on the emotions of those who superficially watch the message without thinking too much about it.

First of all, the whole "health issue" thing is a bit ridiculous. He basically saying that Mitt is unaware that if nobody picked up the garbage, there would be a big health problem ? Really? I could see that IF Mitt had advocated getting rid of garbage men to save money, then this would be a valid concerned response to that, but no such policy statement was made to begin with. Can't even call it a straw man argument, because nothing even superficially similar to that was put forth by Romney.

It is true that picking up tons of garbage is hard on your body. Guess what Mr. Hayes; picking up 15 tons of Obama's garbage will harm your back just as much as 15 tons of Romney's garbage. Physical labor of any sort + old age = health issues. That fact has been true for hundreds of years, and yet they are somehow trying to implicate Mitt Romney in all that.

Yes, people who do this job are probably viewed as invisible by many of the general population. There is a genuine respect problem there. Once again, that was true long before Mitt Romney started running. Really bizarre how they try and create an association between these things. It's not like Mitt's 47% comment triggered this attitude towards garbagemen.

As was mentioned, it appears that the Obamas are in the process of procuring a $35 million dollar mansion right on the ocean in Kailua. Why doesnt someone ask the garbagemen who pick up the trash generated from that estate if their backs hurt too ?

The property taxes on a 12 or 35 million dollar mansion are a LOT, and probably represent a bigger portion of Hayes salary than the taxes on a modest 1 bedroom condo. You'd have to collect garbage from many residences to equal the amount of tax money that a single mansion like this generates. That would probably be more physically demanding. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.