Please visit one of the specific Bimmerpost sites above  

Go Back   BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

11-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Voter supression backlash: A message from the Greatest Generation

330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      11-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: I Can not say

A message from Michael Moore
      11-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

All this voter suppression nonsense is, well, nonsense.

First of all I would hope that no matter what party or ideology you support, you would agree with the idea that voting for a President is an important thing. The decision of who occupies the White House is a big decision, not to be taken lightly.

And if you agree with the idea that it is important, you might also agree that it's important that the integrity of this process is maintained. Steps should be taken to stop any attempts at fraud. After all, if "illegitimate" votes can be cast and counted for your party, guess what, they can be counted for the party you dislike also. Fraud can hurt everyone.

Assuming that most people (even if they are super partisan) can agree that its a good thing to try and stop fraudulent votes cast in favor of ANY candidate from entering the system, then why the big backlash against voter ID laws?

Surely no sane person will argue that if someone has no way to prove they are eligible to vote, that they should just be taken at their word.

I do think they should be given from free pamphlets, and pointed in the right direction to go and talk to this person at this agency to get that sorted out so they can vote. Spoon feed them the plan if needed, free of charge. But, ultimately it's up to them to execute that plan. To suggest they have no personal responsibility to get that in order if they want to be counted is nuts.

I'm sorry, but if you cant manage that, maybe your vote shouldnt count. Nobody is asking you to pass a Mensa test.

People in other parts of the globe are literally DYING in their quest to get the right to vote, and the only thing stopping some people here from voting is not the barrel of a gun, but rather some paperwork they can't be bothered to sort out on their own time?
      11-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
fokus45
Enlisted Member

Drives: little blue dune buggy

If those old dolts die before election day, I bet a ballot is still cast for Obama under their names.
      11-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Ha!! That was funny. Thanks for sharing.
      11-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
A message from Michael Moore
It's shameful that he exploits people like he does and in the case the greatest generation. Shame on you Michael Moore
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
      11-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

The wheels are really coming off for the liberals. I won't say democrats because most dems are not so different from Republican moderates. But the libs are just getting batshit crazy with the threat to their guy's reelection. Crazy stuff coming out of their mouths. This all sucks, the coarsening of the public, the unreasoning attacks--only good thing is that a nobama loss will certainly bring this all to a head. Get this the hell over with.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      11-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Seminole
Colonel

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
If you think ineligible voters are not a problem then you don't have any experience with it.

We have secondees who work for us from South Africa. One of them just recently got a voter registration card in the mail. He was freaked out because he knows its a felony to even register if your aren't eligible and didn't know what to do. Turns out when he was renewing his license there was someone who was standing outside the DMV that told him if he filled out a form with certain information it would help him move faster once inside. He distinctly remembered it not saying anything about registering to vote, and in the "Country" section he even put down South Africa. He assumes that was actually someone who was trying to register people and had trick forms to get their information and sign them up. He was able to call the Supervisor of Elections and get his card revoked, along with a letter so he can't be persecuted for it, but assuming he never reported himself he would have been able to go cast a vote.

I don't think the idea of making sure someone is eligible to vote is voter suppression in any way. If you are eligible to vote you can easily prove it. The only people this hurts are those who are illegally registered to vote.