2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum ARTTI and weather?

04-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
CPTHALL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

ARTTI and weather?

How is ARTTi and weather received in our cars? Is it through the radio?

2013 535XI M-sport
2012 Cherokee Overland
2010 BMW S1000rr

Last edited by CPTHALL; 04-24-2014 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

In my previous 335 it was received via radio signal. In my wife's Audi, it's through Sirius XM (and requires a subscription to be active - bogus). I wondered the same thing, and the manual really didn't clear it up for me... in fact, it made it sound as if there were two distinct types of traffic data that could be received... made me wonder if both (radio and XM) were supported.

Right now I have Sirius active. I'd be curious to know the answer to this question, too, since I may or may not continue the subscription after the 1 year free trial is over. We found out the hard way with my wife's Audi - after canceling her Sirius subscription, the traffic disappeared! Considering BMW used radio signals for this in the past, my gut is that it works the same now (at least in part) on the F10.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
CPTHALL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. My jeep uses sirius to send traffic info. I was wondering because my weather hasnt worked since I purchased the car and no one has a fix at the moment. There was a time when it worked for a month but no more. I believe its recieved by the cars radio and the signal is weak..just a hunch. I think if they change the radio it will work.

2013 535XI M-sport
2012 Cherokee Overland
2010 BMW S1000rr
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTHALL View Post
Thanks. My jeep uses sirius to send traffic info. I was wondering because my weather hasnt worked since I purchased the car and no one has a fix at the moment. There was a time when it worked for a month but no more. I believe its recieved by the cars radio and the signal is weak..just a hunch. I think if they change the radio it will work.
Hmmm... I would think the weather is maybe part of just the other BMW online apps - like the fuel prices app, news feeds, etc, right? I think this probably just relies upon BMW Assist and a cell signal. Do you get other BMW online apps working appropriately, such as the fuel prices?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

At least in Europe, its via the built in datacard / SIM. GPRS.
I think I'm right in saying the newer units use 3G

I also think I'm right in saying that (and very unusual for BMW to name something in one market and something else in another.....ie 535d in US, 530d in Europe.......) that in the US RTTI is what we in Europe call TMC

I'll stand to be corrected but my understanding is that TMC (Traffic message channel) is a second FM tuner that listens out for the data broadcast over a given FM station(s) . in the UK its Classic FM I believe as it has the most coverage over the country.
TMC updates (I think) every 15 minutes and from experience really only show the major issues and road closures.

RTTI (in Europe - where it uses GPRS or 3G) is updated every 3 minutes and is considerably more detailed. It's really very good.

Some useful titbits

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...teddrive-27169

http://under-the-skin.org.uk/news_bmw_rtti.html
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I took a quick look at the documentation I could find here. Looks like in the US there are two systems:

1. RTTI (Real Time Traffic Information)
2. ARTTI (Advanced Real Time Traffic Information)

RTTI appears to be similar to what I had on my 2007 335. It's FM radio based, and as AP pointed out it's less frequent (and often less accurate from my own experience with it).

ARTTI is only available on "select 2013" and newer vehicles. My 2014 550 has it. It's a component of the BMW Assist services, as I thought. It relies upon the cell transceiver that's used by your other BMW Assist and ConnectedDrive services. I think each new car gets this for some number of years, and afterwards you need to pay for it, but I think it's a relatively long time (10 years?).

Also confirmed from the documentation I read, ARTTI does update every 3 minutes. I'm very glad BMW kept from integrating any of these services with Sirius... what a complete bamboozle that Audi makes you pay for a Sirius XM plan just to get your traffic info!

So, there you have it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
CPTHALL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all for the replys but I was also wondering how the weather is broadcast. I have a 2013 build date 4/13. I have the NBT 4.2 system. There is a free weather that displys on the navigation ( no fee required). The icons have not worked in months and the dealer nor BMW has a solution. I am thinking a weak reception signal but where in our cars do we receive our signal (radio???).

2013 535XI M-sport
2012 Cherokee Overland
2010 BMW S1000rr
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTHALL View Post
Thanks all for the replys but I was also wondering how the weather is broadcast. I have a 2013 build date 4/13. I have the NBT 4.2 system. There is a free weather that displys on the navigation ( no fee required). The icons have not worked in months and the dealer nor BMW has a solution. I am thinking a weak reception signal but where in our cars do we receive our signal (radio???).
I'd be surprised if the weather came over radio signal. It seems like all of BMW's ConnectedDrive functions are over cellular signal. They're technically "free" as part of your BMW Assist services (like your SOS button, too) - but I think they eventually expire (something like 10 years, I thought I recalled reading).

Do your other ConnectedDrive features work? How about your Assist account?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
CPTHALL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I'd be surprised if the weather came over radio signal. It seems like all of BMW's ConnectedDrive functions are over cellular signal. They're technically "free" as part of your BMW Assist services (like your SOS button, too) - but I think they eventually expire (something like 10 years, I thought I recalled reading).

Yes, all other functions work just no weather icons on Nav screen when zoomed out 10 miles or greater. I also have enhanced bluetooth but no option to pair two phones at once. just says "telephone 1" and "audio".

2013 535XI M-sport
2012 Cherokee Overland
2010 BMW S1000rr
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
CPTHALL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post

This is the free weather that come with the NBT 4.2 navigation.

2013 535XI M-sport
2012 Cherokee Overland
2010 BMW S1000rr
Appreciate 0