05-04-2018, 07:18 AM  
Fthree6mafia
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i Gran Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie View Post
Hi, I was wondering if any of you folks have come across an issue where the power tailgate only initially opens part of the way (say, an lifted an inch or two), then stops.

...and then if you've continued to hold down the key it restarts the lifting process and then opens to full height. A second or so delay, perhaps.

I have confirmed with iDrive that the tailgate is not being restricted in opening height.

One thing I have noticed is that one of the struts sounds like it is making a rubbing noise or such when the tailgate is opening; could this indicate a strut failure or is it possible to say, do a fix on it?

The vehicle is out of warranty; I only have a named component warranty so I don't have any warranty cover for the rear tailgate. Wouldn't think I would have needed it on a 3 and a quarter year old car, in all seriousness.

Ideas, folks?
I had this same issue on my f36, luckily mine was/is under warranty. My SA told me that there wasn't anything mechanically broken, it's just the computer needed to reset this process. It likely got knocked out of wack by someone trying to shut the tailgate manually as it was closing. I'm not sure if there is a process you can do to manually reset this, but I imagine there is because if your sunroof ever exhibits similar behavior, you can open the sunroof and hold the button for about 1 minute and it resets it. There is a video on one of the forums showing and explaining this. I tried it to see if it would fix my tailgate issue but no dice. I also searched for a reset process for the tailgate but came up empty. Good news is that it's not a serious issue and you should be able to fix without a lot of labor or parts. Good luck!
Appreciate 0