View Single Post
      05-12-2019, 01:07 AM  
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

AutoSolutions M2 Comp Short Shift Kit Quick Review

I haven't seen too many of these installed on the M2, so I thought I'd give a quick review. AutoSolutions is generally known to have made the best SSK for the E46 M3, and probably the best SSK's in general short of (pun intended) something like CAE. The owner, Ron, has an amazing knowledge base and understanding of BMW shifters. I went back and forth with Ron for months, and he finally agreed to make me a SSK for the M2 Comp (but should fit the OG M2 as well). Mine was a bit custom in the throws, feel, and length. I wanted something with noticeably shorter throws and minimal increase in shifting effort. Ron analyzed the weakest parts of BMW's current shifter design, and only replaced the parts that he felt made a significant difference.

I had considered doing the install myself, but so glad I didn't. Performance Technic did the install, and they had to remove the plastic covers, multiple heat shields, and the exhaust; and partially move/drop the transmission and driveshaft. They did an excellent job. Due to the parts this kit replaces, the install is not possible from the top.

The OEM components feel cheap and flimsy in comparison, even though they are not. OEM:

The good stuff:

So how is it? I didn't think BMW's current shifter was too bad, especially compared to older BMW's, that had almost an inch of play while IN GEAR. However, the AutoSolutions SSK makes the OEM one feel mushy and vague. The shifts are extremely solid, precise, and crisp; they feel almost magnetic. There is definitely more connection with the car; everything just feels so much more direct. I did notice a slight increase in engine noise, but I view that as a positive; you have more communication with the car. There is not a noticeable increase in vibrations. This does not feel like an evolutionary improvement of the OEM shifter; it feels completely different, almost revolutionary. It seems even better when you shift fast. I feel like a race car driver I have no problems with the auto-rev-matching. Everything works smoothly. There is a slight increase in shift effort required. But very importantly, it is very easy to shift into first. I already liked the M2 a lot; this makes me like it a lot more.

A quick vid of the shorter throws:

One important thing worth mentioning is that it sits completely centered, the same as OEM, when in neutral. Previous kits for F-series cars from other manufacturers had problems with the shifter not resting properly in neutral, or the knob being twisted. This kit has none of those issues.

Last edited by RocketBoots; 05-13-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 12