View Single Post
      10-24-2020, 09:01 PM  
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

M Performance Shift Knob | Install and Review

Providing an updated review on install and driving characteristics of the M Performance shift knob I installed, bought from IND. I will answer questions I had in effort to help others who are deciding if this is something they want for their M2C. I will then go into a bit of detail on my answers. Please note my answers are my subjective opinions and I'm not trying to convince anyone of purchasing this shift knob. Feel free to post or PM if you have other questions.

Would I recommend or is it worth it?
Yes. It's a bit pricey but I personally like the SO matched stitching on the shift boot, the OEM fit/finish, and the look and driving feel of the shift knob.
Is it easy to install?
Yes. It was the easiest install I've had of any shift knob. *see install steps at end of this post*
Does it look better than OEM inside the cabin?
Yes. Without hesitation it looks better by adding a modern style to the center console versus the stock shift knob which looks a bit dated. The CF/alcentera/matched stitching is all but perfect. Quite honestly it should have come from the factory with this as an option at the least. I also like the shape, curvature, and shift engraving on the MP shift knob as it fits the interior trim asthetics better. The shift pattern is easier to see in low light situations for my eyes. *subjective of course*
Does it enhance shifting feel?
Yes. It's a noticeable improvement in shift feel as you row through every gear. It minimizes the vague rubber-like shift effort you feel in comparison to stock.
Is it comfortable?
Yes and no. It's comfortable for me for two reasons. The overhand and pistol grip shifting feels better in my hands. It also reduces the bend in my wrists when my elbow is resting on the armrest while shifting. This is attributed to the drop in height of the shift knob. *see pics at end of this post* For tall/bigger driver's the size, weight, and drop in height may not be a great match.
Is the shift boot and knob OEM?
Yes. All BMW parts as evident by the shift boot sticker at the bottom. It tells you the production mo/yr.
Are the shifts shorter?
Yes and no. At first, the shifts feel shorter but after some driving you realize this is mainly due to the greater tactile (not mechanical) feel of the shift knob given slight height and weight reduction of the entire shift boot and knob (20 grams as posted by another member).
Is the 1st to 2nd shift improved?
Yes. This is most improved when engaging 1st and 2nd gears. Infact competing a gear shift in every gear feels more solid as you row through the gate. You have a better feel while driving for the gear you're in, if that makes sense, eliminating the ambiguity of guessing if you're in 3rd or 5th gear while driving around town at low to mid RPMs.
Is the shift knob shorter in height installed?
Yes. *see pics at end of post for visuals*
Does the shift knob feel and more noisy and mechanical when driving?
Yes and no. It definitely feels lighter whether you're gripping the shift knob overhand or pistol grip fashion. It's slightly more mechanical but definetely not like a true short-shifter install. I would describe it as more as tactile versus mechanical feel. It provides a small "clicky-noise" sensation at the end of each gear change. To me that confirms by gear change better than the stock shift knob. Otherwise no increase in noise.
Are the shift boot and knob assembled well?
Yes. Just like the stock shift boot and knob with the underside clips, glue, etc.
Does the shift boot have any odd looking gaps when installed on the the center console trim?
No. I actually looked for that specifically and didn't notice any.

The Install
The most simple install I've ever done on any car period. It took me less than 10 minutes and no tools were needed. To prepare I watched a couple of videos on YouTube from owners to orient myself. I also took a few pics for comparison. Below are the seps to my simple install.

NOTE: with any install ensure you understand the installation, make time and don't rush the install, and be patient.

1. Move driver's seat back.
2. Put the car in 4th gear.
3. Gently unclip the shift boot in 3 locations. *see pics at the end of this post*
4. Unravel the shift boot above center console trim to avoid any interference before removing the stock shift knob.
5. Grab the stock shift knob and twist slightly to remove some friction.
6. While holding with both hands pull shift knob up and towards you with some pressure. *do not stand or lean above the shift knob to avoid having it hit your face as you pull up and towards you as this is where patience comes into play*
7. Remove the stock shift knob from the shift lever slowly.
8. Center the MP shift knob onto the shift lever and gently push down (you will push down on it later).
9. Position and 1 clip in the rear facing part of the boot.
10. Position and 2 clips in the front facing part of the boot.
11. Check boot fitment is clipped properly all the way around.
12. Finally press down on top of MP shift knob to ensure it rest completely on top of shift lever. *does not require tremendous effort or force*
13. Smile and enjoy your work!

Driving Summary
For me it's one step closer to the the overall transmission feel I want while driving. The shifting is more connected as I row through the gears.There is less guess work involved as I'm rev across the power band (still in my break-in period). I'm used to driving an S2000 so shift feel is high on my priority for this build. I'm conversing with Ron to determine my exact specs for the AutoSolutions SSK. With the UC Pedal and the SS SSK, this would be the 3rd piece of a precision feel evident in my S2000. I'm doing this first so I can determine if I want any height changes in the shift lever and the % short-throw reduction I want relative to the shift effort for my driving purposes (track vs. daily).

All in all I'm happy I made the purchase. it looks and feels great. It offers a better sensation. IND offers this and I would recommend contacting them if you have specific questions on the MP boot-n-knob.

Install and Comparison Pics
Attached Images

Last edited by GarageMadness; 12-02-2020 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 7
smknjoe234.00
KevinM2935.50
iBurble99.00
Moflow2484.50
TRM2C14.50