View Single Post
      11-21-2020, 06:50 PM  
Tomek_KC
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i, X5

MMI Installation in 2011 1-series

I understand this is not the right forum to post about installation in 1-series, but it is the longest conversation about MMI, so i thought I’ll drop little info for anyone installing in babyBMW.

One issue you will run into is placement of the box.

I did see some posts (i believe it was 3-series) suggesting it can be installed on the right side of the radio (vertically between glovebox and radio/AC stack), this wont work in 1-series unless you want to trim some plastic. Drawback for this placement is if you ever need to get to the box, it will require more work.

I have tried several locations within the cable reach, and the only placement possible (without the obvious - glovebox) is to install it next to airbag on the right and above glovebox, under passenger air vent.

This requires to take off the glovebox in order to properly run wires. These should run behind the airbag (not to interfere with it). Good news is that in the future it provides fairly easy access to auxiliary cables.

Here are couple photos i have taken, unfortunately I wasn’t taking many photos during the install as it was a lot of trial and error to find perfect location.

Use double sided tape (strongest you can, 3M used for body panels works best) then bit of foam to keep some pressure from the top. You will only have 2-3 inches of flat space where tape can work. It’s strong enough to the point where it would take some force to detach the MMI box from the tape/glovebox.

Hope this helps someone
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dandandan101.50