View Single Post
      09-09-2021, 05:30 PM  
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I had brand new PS4s put on prior to my first ever track day in the spring of 2019.
At the end of the day, the outer tread block on the front tires was noticeably worn, and at the time I was pretty dang proud of myself for giving those tires so much grief (moron).
Went to the track again the following month and then a third time a couple of months after that.
After that third track day the outer tread block was really torched, and I believed that it was unlikely the front tires would survive a fourth track event.

I decided I didn't want to have a conversation with Suzanne about needing new tires, knowing her response would be along the lines of "Wait, didn't you just get new tires a few months ago?", so I decided I wouldn't schedule another track day for a while. Then Covid hit and I just took 2020 off.

Got another set of tires in January of 2021, scheduled a track day a couple of weeks later.
Again, the outer tread block was ground down, but this time it made me feel awful.
I scheduled another track day the following May, and went straight to the garage to remove the alignment pins.
That took the front camber from -0.9* to -1.6*.
I did 2 more track days with the alignment pins removed, and the 3 track day tire wear in 2021 was NOTICEABLY improved from the 3 track days in 2019.

Meanwhile, I had been saving my pennies for a set of adjustable camber plates and did the install a few weeks ago.
It wasn't a difficult DIY and didn't take long, the instructions were straightforward.

The alignment was what I was really focused on.
I wanted to be able to adjust camber between a Street setting and a Track setting, without having to monkey with the Toe settings.
I reached out to SYT_Shadow and he forwarded me his settings.
He wrote them out "Work Instruction" style, so it was super easy to get the alignment tech aimed in the right direction.

The tech at the local Goodyear let me help, so I was able mark my camber plates at the -3.0* position and the -2.0* position.
My total Toe changed 0.67* for every 1.0* of camber, which matched closely to what SYT_Shadow had experienced, so that helped the confidence.
So, at -3.0* camber, we set the total Toe to 0.4* OUT.
Then I adjusted the camber to -2.0*, and the total Toe moved itself to 0.27*, IN.

Scheduled a track day with slcook54 on 9/3.
Drove the 175 miles to Laguna Seca at the -2.0* setting with no issues.
Arrived at the track, jacked up a front wheel, unplugged the EDC, adjusted the camber plate to the -3.0* position, removed the EDC boot and replaced with a homemade wire harness strain relief bracket, plugged in the EDC and repeated for the other side.
Took less than 20 minutes.

On track, the 0.4* total Toe OUT worked just fine, no twitching or darting.
The front tire wear was not noticeable after the 4 sessions.
After my last session, I moved the camber back to the -2.0* setting for the drive home.
Total win win.
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92

Last edited by Davisca455; 09-20-2021 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 5
SAMM3Y3085.00
slcook541863.00
Johal E32163.00
rg122077.00