E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Low oil temp and hard knocking noise while idle.

10-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

Low oil temp and hard knocking noise while idle.

I have 7k miles on my car and noticed past few days since the weather got a bit cooler i noticed that my oil temp gauge stays around 210~220 in normal driving and 240 ish in sprited driving. Is this normal? I dont have an oil cooler and seems like my oil is alot cooler than comparing to others.

Also past few days i drove around 300 miles non stop for like 4~5 hours.
When i parked my car and left the car on idle for few min the car started making knocking noise. Im very noob to cars and since the car is pretty new i was a bit nervous.

I turn the steeling wheel than the ticking noise goes away than comes back in few mins. If i drive away the noise is gone also. Any movement to the car stops the noise but when its on idle the car makes that knocking noise.

Today after a full day rest the car doesnt make any knocking noise now.

Any inputs?

Thank you.

My right foot weighs more than my left for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
techforge
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

I have an oil cooler on mine and it's always pegged around 240. I can run the crap out of it in DS mode in hot weather and it never changes. Almost made me wonder if it's an idiot gauge. Anyway regarding your noise, you said it went away when you turned the steering wheel? That almost makes me wonder if it's your steering pump low on fluid possibly. Have you checked that? I've never heard one knock though.
Appreciate 0