F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Effect on cbs countdown
Studio RSR

05-19-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Black Shadow Edition

Effect on cbs countdown

Morning.

I seem to be going through dealer services at a fast rate. I was there in Nov then again for the big one in march. The 19k to next service is now on 11k and I haven't done a great deal of miles during lockdown. I think it's more of my driving style and type of trips that can drop 1k from the counter every week.

With all that in mind I'm probably due an oil change, filter and micro filter by the end of August at a cost somewhere close to £300.

I'm considering what type of effect it would have if I got a garage owner mate to drop the oil and replace the filter (helix or edge etc) with around 10k left on cbs timer but not reset it afterwards.

Since the oil is new, would the sensor stop until the new oil got to a condition of 10k left on it and restart counting down or would the countdown just continue to go down regardless of the new oil?

As the times between servicing is so short, it's mainly the oil that is driving cbs to go down so fast. At the rate it will need a major by Christmas. Surely it doesn't need an air, pollen and fuel filter changed every 9 months. (March to Dec)

I'd still like to keep dealer services and will hit the value service prices later this year but even so, if I can stretch out those services with a little private intrim, it will work out better for the car and my pocket.

As I said, the countdown is not consistent with milage as the reset after a service always shows 29k to the next oil change whereas I'm getting somewhere around 10k instead. Hence the need to reduce my trips to the stealers.

Any thoughts? : Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:51 AM   #2
Simon89
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive

I guess it would go down still regardless as it's a distance based system rather the periodically checking the quality of the oil.
      05-20-2020, 02:39 AM   #3
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Its definitely not smart enough to check oil quality. I remember my old Z4 only looked at the amount of fuel used to plan servicing, i doubt the new ones are much smarter! I always do an interim oil change (or 2) between 'oil services' and the car has no clue about it. I dont bother resetting it.

10k seems really low compared to the 16k+ estimate though.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:12 AM   #4
Abrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ncl View Post
Morning.

I seem to be going through dealer services at a fast rate. I was there in Nov then again for the big one in march. The 19k to next service is now on 11k and I haven't done a great deal of miles during lockdown. I think it's more of my driving style and type of trips that can drop 1k from the counter every week.

With all that in mind I'm probably due an oil change, filter and micro filter by the end of August at a cost somewhere close to £300.

I'm considering what type of effect it would have if I got a garage owner mate to drop the oil and replace the filter (helix or edge etc) with around 10k left on cbs timer but not reset it afterwards.

Since the oil is new, would the sensor stop until the new oil got to a condition of 10k left on it and restart counting down or would the countdown just continue to go down regardless of the new oil?

As the times between servicing is so short, it's mainly the oil that is driving cbs to go down so fast. At the rate it will need a major by Christmas. Surely it doesn't need an air, pollen and fuel filter changed every 9 months. (March to Dec)

I'd still like to keep dealer services and will hit the value service prices later this year but even so, if I can stretch out those services with a little private intrim, it will work out better for the car and my pocket.

As I said, the countdown is not consistent with milage as the reset after a service always shows 29k to the next oil change whereas I'm getting somewhere around 10k instead. Hence the need to reduce my trips to the stealers.

I’ve done that and it’s definitely slows down the remainder of miles but it will never be more than 19,000 between services. E.g you serviced the car at 20,000 miles you drove for 5,000 miles(25,000) and the car shows the service due in 6,000 miles if you are to replace oil it will start reducing countdown again at 33,000 for the service at 39,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:44 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

10k miles... that does appear low. Are you sure the countdown is for the oil service, not something else in the CBS regime being flagged up next?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:51 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
Its definitely not smart enough to check oil quality. I remember my old Z4 only looked at the amount of fuel used to plan servicing, i doubt the new ones are much smarter! I always do an interim oil change (or 2) between 'oil services' and the car has no clue about it. I dont bother resetting it.

10k seems really low compared to the 16k+ estimate though.
Agree on the low figure.

BTW, some engine/models do have an oil condition sensor built into the oil level sensor. Not checked specifically for 320d builds, N47 vs. B47 could be different.

Quote:
Engine oil quality
The electrical material properties of the engine oil change as the engine oil wears and ages. The changed electrical properties of the engine oil (dielectrics) cause the capacity of the capacitor to change.
Appreciate 1
Eddamoo406.50
      05-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies

I guess the best way is to try it out.

I'll dig out the major service paperwork from March and get the milage at that point. I said it always shows 19k to next oil change but I must be 18300 or something as the countdown clicks over 18k relatively quickly after the service. So to get halfway I'll get an oil and filter change at 9k on the cbs countdown and record the actual milage at that point.

The interesting part will be seeing whether I cover more miles during the remaining 9k of the cbs countdown to almost zero. As I said, it can only do the engine good to get fresh oil mid service interval and at £45 of oil plus a filter might keep me from filling the dealers pockets at the current speed.

BTW. Costco have edge for about 24 plus vat.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
Abrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 435d

Quote:
Thanks for the replies

I'll dig out the major service paperwork from March and get the milage at that point. I said it always shows 19k to next oil change but I must be 18300 or something as the countdown clicks over 18k relatively quickly after the service. So to get halfway I'll get an oil and filter change at 9k on the cbs countdown and record the actual milage at that point.

The interesting part will be seeing whether I cover more miles during the remaining 9k of the cbs countdown to almost zero. As I said, it can only do the engine good to get fresh oil mid service interval and at £45 of oil plus a filter might keep me from filling the dealers pockets at the current speed.

BTW. Costco have edge for about 24 plus vat.
I think Costco only sells edge 5w30 which is no longer LL04. I’m sure it will be fine for interim but FYI
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies

The interesting part will be seeing whether I cover more miles during the remaining 9k of the cbs countdown to almost zero.
You may gain a few miles, I know I've had an interim oil service without resetting the CBS. I noted it was a bit slower to count down, (N55 definitely has the oil condition sensor), but no proven figures to really compare. My use typically drops around a 1,000 on the CBS, for a 1,000 miles driven. I'm usually timed out anyway, rather than the mileage limit.

Other factor to consider is fuel usage, what sort of mpg are you getting from your 320d?

BTW, what engine, N47 or the newer B47?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #10
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrek View Post
I think Costco only sells edge 5w30 which is no longer LL04. I’m sure it will be fine for interim but FYI
Cheers for that. ... didn't realise.. I'll steer clear. Helix ultra professional is always on ECP rotational discount.

I couldn't say what my mpg is. I would guess low 40s as the poor thing hasn't stretched it legs for a while with this situation ongoing so mostly stop start. The build sheet says B470.

On reflection, I think the best way to see if there is any difference between the Nov to march service with no oil change against the march to next service with the oil change in the middle and compare milage that way. Only variable that changs would be weather.

Not sure if this has any bearing but I usually use about 30% Costco premium and 70% regular for the past 6 months.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:12 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I couldn't say what my mpg is. I would guess low 40s as the poor thing hasn't stretched it legs for a while with this situation ongoing so mostly stop start. The build sheet says B470.
I'd suggest your consumption and use is also having a impact on the CBS countdown rate.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #12
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'd suggest your consumption and use is also having a impact on the CBS countdown rate.
Just hit 9k left today and driven 4700 since the CBS showed 19k after the big service in early March. (90 days ago)

So roughly getting half the mileage. (driving average 50 miles per day and clocking down 100 miles on the oil countdown)

Purchased oil/filter today. Will update once I reach the expected or actual zero miles left to next service (projected early September)

Too much time on my hands
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:32 AM   #13
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The mid interval oil change had no affect on the CBS countdown. Still down to zero in 10k.

Does anyone know what brand of microfilter is oem?

Part 64119237555

Mann have 2 variants.

One with Carbon with Fungicidal Effect.

Or Bosch

Last edited by Dave-ncl; 09-09-2020 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 05:15 AM   #14
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

The last time I bought genuine filters for my 328i they were Mann
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

I had a service pack thrown in with my car... 3 years 30K mils....

My first service was only 22k miles (and they wont do it until the car said so)

Due to VT my car and its now at 36K miles and still says 3800K miles until the second service (which i cant even use my service pack for)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #16
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
I had a service pack thrown in with my car... 3 years 30K mils....

My first service was only 22k miles (and they wont do it until the car said so)

Due to VT my car and its now at 36K miles and still says 3800K miles until the second service (which i cant even use my service pack for)
Yeah. I dealers won't service until due. Its maddening if you've got a service due just after the pack is due to expire.

I could drive you car and get 4k off the CBS in a matter of days

Mann

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/mann-filter-cabin-filter-507110499
£69
Activated Carbon with Fungicidal Effect

Or

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/mann-filter-cabin-filter-507110349
£75
Activated Carbon

Minus the usual 40%

Not sure which fitment to go for..

Strangely on carparts4less the Fungicidal is £10 more expensive than the standard carbon and the other way round on ECP..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #17
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Pretty sure it's the carbon one, not heard of fungicidal but I'm also pretty sure I paid less than half them prices for mine! Try looking on eBay for a BMW dealership seller selling genuine ones.