F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > another oil leak...
Studio RSR

04-02-2023, 04:55 AM   #1
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 black F30 N55

My cars is 13’ n55 stage 2 with 142k miles.

So far I’ve changed my valve cover gasket, ofhg and now the oil pan gasket. Now I got another leak. I noticed it by the smell of it once my cars warmed up. I used brake cleaner to spray off some clean looking oil on that tray looking thing that I accidentally spilled last time I added oil. Then went to drive my car, and checked it again. I could see some dirty oil, but it doesn’t seem to be leaking from my vcg. I’m curious to what that sensor is that I have circled in the picture. Along with that hose that’s wrapped in the silver heat wrap. Are these prone to leaking as well? I’m stumped of where the oil is coming from cause it seems like it’s dripping from above cause it doesn’t seem to be coming from anywhere else. I would be able to see its trails coming from somewhere else if that was the case. So my only theory is that it’s dripping. Or maybe coming from that sensor below the silver hose Any advice or help is appreciated.

I got the dme replaced along with the oil pan gasket which took forever. Then come to find out when I get my car back it’s got another leak which is the one I’m trying to figure out
Attached Images

04-02-2023, 08:17 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's easy to see where it ends up, not so easy to see where it comes from. For that do this:
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/uv-dye-...-leaks-easily/
Appreciate 1
jcordier167.50
      04-02-2023, 09:37 AM   #3
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Oil on that upper drip tray is usually from the valve cover/ gasket. When did you get that done? And did you also replace the cover itself? They're known to crack or warp causing gaps for oil to escape. Or one of the 9000 bolts that hold it on rattles loose if not properly torqued, weakening the seal. Lots of reports here of repeat leaks after vcg was done. It's a tricky job.
As Bill said it's not easy to pinpoint especially on a motor like this that has so many oil seals. Oil also splashes in ways that seem to defy logic when you drive. The uv dye kit is cheap so give that a try. It may take multiple cycles of clean up and drive again to find the most prominent leak lol. It's a bmw engine so there's bound to be more than 1. Below the area you circled in the photo is the turbocharger. The turbo oil supply and return line seals could be leaking, for example. If it's a slow leak, just keep cleaning and looking and eventually you will find the source and can decide if it's worth fixing. I favor this approach over going to a shop right away because they'll typically want to start expensive repairs as soon as possible. Sorry if you know any of this already. I couldn't judge your experience level from the post.
      04-02-2023, 10:10 AM   #4
MDR629
Registered
Rep
Drives: E61 535, E66 760, F80 M3

Looks like valve cover, but hard to see with all the covers and everything in the way.

Just a note: I work at an independent BMW shop and we pretty much never replace just the valve cover gasket. We always do the whole plastic valve cover (Genuine BMW only) because the plastic cracks and leaks no matter how many gaskets you do. Also the integrated PCV system is prone to going bad and that's contained in the valve cover.
Appreciate 2
jcordier167.50
Burnout27.00
      04-02-2023, 05:27 PM   #5
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Oil on that upper drip tray is usually from the valve cover/ gasket. When did you get that done? And did you also replace the cover itself? They're known to crack or warp causing gaps for oil to escape. Or one of the 9000 bolts that hold it on rattles loose if not properly torqued, weakening the seal. Lots of reports here of repeat leaks after vcg was done. It's a tricky job.
As Bill said it's not easy to pinpoint especially on a motor like this that has so many oil seals. Oil also splashes in ways that seem to defy logic when you drive. The uv dye kit is cheap so give that a try. It may take multiple cycles of clean up and drive again to find the most prominent leak lol. It's a bmw engine so there's bound to be more than 1. Below the area you circled in the photo is the turbocharger. The turbo oil supply and return line seals could be leaking, for example. If it's a slow leak, just keep cleaning and looking and eventually you will find the source and can decide if it's worth fixing. I favor this approach over going to a shop right away because they'll typically want to start expensive repairs as soon as possible. Sorry if you know any of this already. I couldn't judge your experience level from the post.
Thank you I did change it myself, and didn’t change the cover itself. We torqued all the bolts down so I’m guessing it could be the cover itself. I’m thinking it might be the hose that’s wrapped in the silver heat wrap. I absolutely agree with you with trying to figure it out before I go to a shop. I really don’t know a whole lot about the engine. Except from what I’ve learned from YouTube from changing the ofhg and vcg before.
      04-02-2023, 05:28 PM   #6
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's easy to see where it ends up, not so easy to see where it comes from. For that do this:
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/uv-dye-...-leaks-easily/
You’re definitely correct about that: it’s easier to see where its ending, but not from the start. Thank you for that item. I’m a pick some of this up later today.
      04-08-2023, 07:44 PM   #7
undertaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

I hear ya, experienced a OFHG leak, Oil Pan gasket leak, Valve Cover gasket leak all repaired under warranty. Smelled burning oil again, bought it back to my indy, now an Eccentric Shaft sensor gasket,73k.
Appreciate 2
jcordier167.50
Burnout27.00
      04-08-2023, 08:16 PM   #8
bandook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

The "sensor" you have circled is the pressure converter. Its what controls the wastegate on the turbo. There are two vac lines that are attached. One goes to wastegate, one from valve cover. It's possible your valve cover is cracked internally and the oil is seeping out the vac line that's attached to the valve cover. I think so. The valve cover can crack internally and the vacuum section sucks up oil.
Appreciate 1
jcordier167.50
      04-13-2023, 03:59 PM   #9
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertaker View Post
I hear ya, experienced a OFHG leak, Oil Pan gasket leak, Valve Cover gasket leak all repaired under warranty. Smelled burning oil again, bought it back to my indy, now an Eccentric Shaft sensor gasket,73k.
Were you able to see the leak from that shaft sensor?
      04-17-2023, 10:50 PM   #10
undertaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes I was, we pulled the cover and saw the slow weeping. Not emergent, but replace at next oil change recommended.
Appreciate 1
jcordier167.50