E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Leak near/from steering rack?

06-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Leak near/from steering rack?

I have come to notice a worsening leak that appears to be coming either from my steering rack, or perhaps somewhere above. I am having a hard time telling if its power steering fluid or oil though, as it doesn't seem to have the smell of power steering fluid.. The leak is bad enough to form on the ground under the car if it sits for a few days.

I topped my PS fluid off a year ago and just checked it and it is full to the cold line. I typically only have to top off oil during the summer months about every 5000-7500 miles (if I don't change it first).

Anyone seen this before? The obvious answer is that it is coming from the steering rack, but the reason I am posting on the engine forum is to see if anyone is aware of something above the rack that could be leaking oil onto it.

I also noticed a watery/oily substance around one of the turbos, but not sure if that is related.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Oil off the turbo pipe is normal, but not great. I would check/clean the PCV valve in the valve cover or replace the valve cover entirely. Use Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40 to curb oil consumption and oil vapor blowby into the PCV and intake.

The oil from the rack boot looks more like engine oil. Is your oil filter housing gasket or oil thermostat housing gasket leaking? That will run down the engine and drip onto the rack, collect on the oil pan, etc. PS oil is CHF11S synthetic oil that is light green clear colored.
      06-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Oil off the turbo pipe is normal, but not great. I would check/clean the PCV valve in the valve cover or replace the valve cover entirely. Use Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40 to curb oil consumption and oil vapor blowby into the PCV and intake.

The oil from the rack boot looks more like engine oil. Is your oil filter housing gasket or oil thermostat housing gasket leaking? That will run down the engine and drip onto the rack, collect on the oil pan, etc. PS oil is CHF11S synthetic oil that is light green clear colored.
Thanks for the reply - i agree it looks and feels more like engine oil (my PS steering is the older E90 one that uses ATF fluid, if that matters). I haven't noticed oil around the filter housing but I will check. Any tips on checking for the thermostat/oil filter housing? (sorry for the newb DIY questions)

The only time I seem to experience oil leak/loss issues is when I change the oil with the BMW synthetic - does not seem to be much of an issue when I am using M1.

Last edited by daMau; 06-19-2013 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update - brought to a local shop because I have been busy with a new house and moving. Turns out it is actually the power steering rack leaking, which means it needs replacing. Was really hoping it was just the oil filter housing gasket

This does not seem to be a problem I (or the shop) has heard of that would be typical of an e90 with only 60k miles.

Possible culprits:
1. The car had front end damage repaired before I purchased it. Perhaps this is just a proliferation of that finally appearing? That damage was repaired over 2 years ago before I picked up the ride and I don't recall the leak when I bought it (though it could have been there just unnoticed)

2 - I had the front tie-rods replaced about a year ago. Any chance the shop botched the job and damaged something?
Appreciate 0