F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive Malfunction!
proTUNING Freaks

11-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
boulderado
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive

iDrive Malfunction!

It has been a month since I took delivery of my 428 xdrive and so far the iDrive shut itself off 4 or 5 times while I was driving and not touching any buttons. The display just switches off and the music (either usb source or radio) stops. When I push on the volume knob, iDrive reboots and continues to function as normal.

Did anyone experience the same issue? I am guessing it is a software glitch but don't know if it is a common problem and there is a software update solving the issue or is it just my car...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Not normal. Get it checked out.
      11-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said
      11-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderado View Post
It has been a month since I took delivery of my 428 xdrive and so far the iDrive shut itself off 4 or 5 times while I was driving and not touching any buttons. The display just switches off and the music (either usb source or radio) stops. When I push on the volume knob, iDrive reboots and continues to function as normal.

Did anyone experience the same issue? I am guessing it is a software glitch but don't know if it is a common problem and there is a software update solving the issue or is it just my car...
Not an issue. Welcome to the crappy world of Sirius Radio.

Sirius updating its channel lineup requires a reboot. XM Chips do not require this (and also sound MUCH better). They have done at least 2 updates (for Xmas Channels and then to correct Channel Names) in the last 2 weeks alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Bill-SD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335i / '14 328i

Sirius on my E92 doesn't ever reboot.

My F30 shut off totally a couple times and came back when I restarted the car. Then it totally went out. They replaced the radio last week. Then the next day that one rebooted, but came right back on. Are you guys sure it's Sirius and not just an iDrive issue?
      11-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Yup, have it checked out, I haven't had one glitch.
      11-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-SD View Post
Sirius on my E92 doesn't ever reboot.

My F30 shut off totally a couple times and came back when I restarted the car. Then it totally went out. They replaced the radio last week. Then the next day that one rebooted, but came right back on. Are you guys sure it's Sirius and not just an iDrive issue?
Its a known issue with Sirius. I even reposted messages from other car model forums in another thread having the exact same issue because peeps here did not believe it was Sirius.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
Yup, have it checked out, I haven't had one glitch.
It downloaded and rebooted when you were not using it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Bill-SD
Private First Class
Rep

I can see where where Sirius sends new signals, but I don't understand why it would cause a reboot? It has to be either the radio, or a combination of Sirius and the radio. I've had the F30 for a month and it's done that at least 4-5 times. I've had my E92 with Sirius for over 6 years and it's never happened. The E92 radio is pre-xm, so that may explain that.
      11-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can see where where Sirius sends new signals, but I don't understand why it would cause a reboot? It has to be either the radio, or a combination of Sirius and the radio. I've had the F30 for a month and it's done that at least 4-5 times. I've had my E92 with Sirius for over 6 years and it's never happened. The E92 radio is pre-xm, so that may explain that.
Pre-XM has nothing to do with it.

XM chips can update without rebooting the unit.

Sirius Chips ALWAYS have had to reboot unit on update - just like most Windows Updates on your computer.

Sirius has far worse technology on almost every metric.

Satellite Orbit, Chips, Codec, Software, etc.

I cannot speak on what happened in the past. Perhaps the Sirius units were not as integrated into the entire system as they are now. But Sirius has ALWAYS had to reboot the Sirius receiver to update any changes.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I have never had my entire iDrive reboot, and I've had Sirius in 5 different cars (..two E9X M3's, an E82 1-Series, an E70 X5 and my current F30 335i). If it's doing anything, it's doing it behind the scenes.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Bill-SD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Pre-XM has nothing to do with it.

XM chips can update without rebooting the unit.

Sirius Chips ALWAYS have had to reboot unit on update - just like most Windows Updates on your computer.

Sirius has far worse technology on almost every metric.

Satellite Orbit, Chips, Codec, Software, etc.

I cannot speak on what happened in the past. Perhaps the Sirius units were not as integrated into the entire system as they are now. But Sirius has ALWAYS had to reboot the Sirius receiver to update any changes.
Then I don't believe it's Sirius that's causing the iDrive to reboot. If that were the case I would have experienced the same thing in my E92. Please don't say that I just missed it on the E92. I drive that car every day, and listen to Sirius, and it has never done that in over 6 years. The F30 again, has done it several times in about a month. Granted, the dealer found my F30 radio to be faulty, my the new radio has rebooted also.
      11-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Then I don't believe it's Sirius that's causing the iDrive to reboot. If that were the case I would have experienced the same thing in my E92. Please don't say that I just missed it on the E92. I drive that car every day, and listen to Sirius, and it has never done that in over 6 years. The F30 again, has done it several times in about a month. Granted, the dealer found my F30 radio to be faulty, my the new radio has rebooted also.
You can lead a horse to water.....

So the people on the car forum other than BMW that have Sirius in their system that are saying the same thing as you about their system have the issue because.....all cars models just randomly reboot?

As explained, it rebooted about 2 weeks ago when they added the Christmas Channel. It also rebooted about 5-6 days later when they corrected the code where the Title was showing instead of the channel name. They *might* have rebooted on the 25th when they went live on all cars whether subscribed or not. And they *might* reboot again on Tuesday when that comes to an end.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I have never had my entire iDrive reboot, and I've had Sirius in 5 different cars (..two E9X M3's, an E82 1-Series, an E70 X5 and my current F30 335i). If it's doing anything, it's doing it behind the scenes.
Most times, your system "rebooted' when not in use (i.e. parked).

However, MOST satellite listening is NOT DONE BY SATELLITE. It is done via the terrestrial repeaters both XM and Sirius use to make the system work. Otherwise, the signal would drop out everywhere when direct view of the satellite is lost.

Depending on the location of the terrestrial repeater, many will not get a strong enough signal to update when in a garage. In those cases, Sirius can only update and reboot when one is out of the garage (thus driving).

These are the people complaining about the reboots when driving.

If you have not seen a reboot, then your car is either left outside overnight or has a strong signal from a local repeater to update when in your garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
Bill-SD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich
Quote:
You can lead a horse to water.....

So the people on the car forum other than BMW that have Sirius in their system that are saying the same thing as you about their system have the issue because.....all cars models just randomly reboot?

As explained, it rebooted about 2 weeks ago when they added the Christmas Channel. It also rebooted about 5-6 days later when they corrected the code where the Title was showing instead of the channel name. They *might* have rebooted on the 25th when they went live on all cars whether subscribed or not. And they *might* reboot again on Tuesday when that comes to an end.
You sound like you know a little about this, that's why I'm asking you these questions. I hear people with F30s complain about this, but really not even that many. However I have not heard anyone with an E0x complain. So my question is...why? Something has to work differently in those radios. I mean, what are the odds I've never experienced this in 6 years of listening? I haven't even heard about it until getting the F30. I'm not saying you're wrong about the reboot (although skeptical) I'm saying the old radios act differently.
      11-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Most times, your system "rebooted' when not in use (i.e. parked).

However, MOST satellite listening is NOT DONE BY SATELLITE. It is done via the terrestrial repeaters both XM and Sirius use to make the system work. Otherwise, the signal would drop out everywhere when direct view of the satellite is lost.

Depending on the location of the terrestrial repeater, many will not get a strong enough signal to update when in a garage. In those cases, Sirius can only update and reboot when one is out of the garage (thus driving).

These are the people complaining about the reboots when driving.

If you have not seen a reboot, then your car is either left outside overnight or has a strong signal from a local repeater to update when in your garage.
I probably just have a strong signal here in So.Cal. When I pull into the garage or if I'm under an overpass too long, it will cut out and pick back up when I'm out in the open again. Other than that it never hiccups!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
CK335iMSport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I have had my car for almost a month, and have not experienced this at all. That sounds .

Re: Sirius updates, I've had Sirius for four years, and have never experienced my radio reboot for updates (prev. car was a VW GTI). The only thing I have ever noticed is sometimes (in previous car) a message would show for about five seconds that read "your subscription has been updated." Assuming that's what it meant..
2014 335i M Sport - Mineral Grey/Coral Red, Nav., Premium, HK, MPE, 8AT. Mods: Macht Schnell Spacers (12mm-front, 15mm-rear) with 403M's, Bilstein B8 Struts/H&R Sport Spring combo, M-Performance black kidney grilles, IND Distribution color-matched reflector inserts and key hole cover.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

My bet is bad harddisk in iDrive. Dealer will exchange iDrive in dash as BMW does not permit dealer to exchange harddisk.
      12-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK335iMSport View Post
I have had my car for almost a month, and have not experienced this at all. That sounds .

Re: Sirius updates, I've had Sirius for four years, and have never experienced my radio reboot for updates (prev. car was a VW GTI). The only thing I have ever noticed is sometimes (in previous car) a message would show for about five seconds that read "your subscription has been updated." Assuming that's what it meant..
Believe what you want. I have explained why some see the reboot and others do not.

Try spending some time with Google to find you are wrong. In another thread on this forum, another poster even posted an email response from Sirius confirming they were the issue after the constant reboots in July/Aug of this year after a bad update.

The rest of you can continue to take your car in for days so repairs can be made that do nothing to change the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
Bill-SD
Private First Class
Rep

I did Google this. The only issues I see are for the F30, and in most of those threads you are there making the same arguments. In one case you compared it to Windows updates requiring reboots. But Microsoft does do an update and then restart your computer without warning. "If" Sirius can cause the F30 iDrive to shut down and restart, then BMW needs to correct that. Suppose you are in the middle of a phone call, navigation, etc.? It's okay to knock you off? I don't think so. I suppose a Sirius update could be the trigger for an update, but it's on the radio for allowing it.

BTW - You never explained why some experience this and others do not. Once again, NO reboots while listening to Sirius in my E92 in 6.5 years. Nor had I read about any other E9xers having the problem in 7 years of reading those forums.
      12-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did Google this. The only issues I see are for the F30, and in most of those threads you are there making the same arguments. In one case you compared it to Windows updates requiring reboots. But Microsoft does do an update and then restart your computer without warning. "If" Sirius can cause the F30 iDrive to shut down and restart, then BMW needs to correct that. Suppose you are in the middle of a phone call, navigation, etc.? It's okay to knock you off? I don't think so. I suppose a Sirius update could be the trigger for an update, but it's on the radio for allowing it.

BTW - You never explained why some experience this and others do not. Once again, NO reboots while listening to Sirius in my E92 in 6.5 years. Nor had I read about any other E9xers having the problem in 7 years of reading those forums.
I had a computer in 2001 that has a HDTV Card in it so I could DVR programs. When the card locked up or needed a firmware update, the entire computer needed rebooting.

When I went to a standalone DVR in 2004, when the cable company needed to update my DVR, my computer did not need to reboot.

Think about it.

Clearly you did not read post #14 above. But given you cannot find the information via google, it does not surprise me that something staring you in the face you would miss.

Again, if you want to ignore this, please go ahead. I have no reason to debate it as it well know that Sirius has to reboot to update their info.

If you want to correct the problem, get BMW to start using XM Chips instead of BMW chips - but this will NOT correct the problem for cars on the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
Bill-SD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I had a computer in 2001 that has a HDTV Card in it so I could DVR programs. When the card locked up or needed a firmware update, the entire computer needed rebooting.

When I went to a standalone DVR in 2004, when the cable company needed to update my DVR, my computer did not need to reboot.

Think about it.

Clearly you did not read post #14 above. But given you cannot find the information via google, it does not surprise me that something staring you in the face you would miss.

Again, if you want to ignore this, please go ahead. I have no reason to debate it as it well know that Sirius has to reboot to update their info.

If you want to correct the problem, get BMW to start using XM Chips instead of BMW chips - but this will NOT correct the problem for cars on the road.
Thanks for the examples from 2001. But once again you say "needs" not "rebooted on it's own".

Sure it's clear. The odds be me never experiencing a reboot while listening in my other car are zero if both radios worked the same. As far as Google, I guess you're correct on that also. I just searched for sirius reboot, sirius idrive reboot, bmw sirius problem, etc. I must be doing something wrong.

Originally I was under the impression that you knew something about this. My bad! Anyway, you like getting the last word, so I'll let you have at it. I'll leave it at this and let people decide what they will. If the Sirius radios in BMWs (since 2006) always rebooted the iDrive system when an update was sent...why haven't we heard people complain until now? Think about it.