F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Another audio upgrade question
ARMA SPEED

07-07-2019, 03:42 AM   #1
carl2990
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d 2015

Another audio upgrade question

Hello!

Another audio upgrade question (I'm surprised there's not a sticky with how many questions get asked about this).

I have the base audio system, have just added tweeters and upgraded them and the front door mid ranges to the Audio Tech Fisher Match.

Now I'm debating which amp to get, I'd like to have something as integrated as possible, similar to how HK integrates into the HU to provide adjustment options.

But, think this wouldn't be possible unless I buy the HiFi or HK amp, which is pointless if I'm spending money, may as well get a better amp than the HK one. Is this correct, or do any of the aftermarket amps come with integration (Logik 7/B&O/HK etc.) HU options?

The reason is, looking at esys, there's options to set the type of amplifier (internal/external), options to set Stereo/HiFi/HiFi High/HK etc - which I believe changes the outputs of the HU. So, would like an amp that 'plays nice' with these options. Or, am I best just ignoring the coding options and buying something like a Hertz Dpower4 (Basic) or something higher budget with a DSP?

The aim is not to have anything too bassy or loud, just nice clear clean audio.

Cheers!
Carl
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

From what I've seen the best option is the Audiotec Fischer Match UP 7. I can't say what you'd need to use it with a base HU.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Your system is called "Stereo" by BMW. No PnP amp in the market works with Stereo as there is no OEM amp in your system.

Either run cables from your OEM HU connector to the trunk and back, run cables from the underseat woofers connector to the trunk (front and woofer signals are in there) or get the OEM Alpine amp retrofit so you can wire a 4-or a 6ch amp to your system.

Coding your OEM HU outputs to HiFi changes the signal from high level, high pass/low pass, boosted highs signal, to low level, flat, full range balanced signals. That signal will determine the type of aftermarket amplifier that you must get, and if you will need a DSP or a normalizer device to make the signal flat and full range.

If you really search then you will get all this in detail, with install examples. Your system is about 15 years old, at least. Plenty of threads of installs in here and in the E60 and E90 forum -same system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2990 View Post
Hello!

Another audio upgrade question (I'm surprised there's not a sticky with how many questions get asked about this).

I have the base audio system, have just added tweeters and upgraded them and the front door mid ranges to the Audio Tech Fisher Match.

Now I'm debating which amp to get, I'd like to have something as integrated as possible, similar to how HK integrates into the HU to provide adjustment options.

But, think this wouldn't be possible unless I buy the HiFi or HK amp, which is pointless if I'm spending money, may as well get a better amp than the HK one. Is this correct, or do any of the aftermarket amps come with integration (Logik 7/B&O/HK etc.) HU options?

The reason is, looking at esys, there's options to set the type of amplifier (internal/external), options to set Stereo/HiFi/HiFi High/HK etc - which I believe changes the outputs of the HU. So, would like an amp that 'plays nice' with these options. Or, am I best just ignoring the coding options and buying something like a Hertz Dpower4 (Basic) or something higher budget with a DSP?

The aim is not to have anything too bassy or loud, just nice clear clean audio.

Cheers!
Carl
Appreciate 0