Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Curbed tire, chunk now missing!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
pianoman224
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
Curbed tire, chunk now missing!

Hey all

I've never hit a curb in my life, well until now. Misjudged the curb in a parking lot and my wheel got bitch slapped.

There is a nice chunk missing out of the sidewall of my Michelin PSS tire closest to the rim....I can't see any metal or wires showing so i'm hoping I won't have to replace the tire. Seems to be holding air just fine, but this just happened about an hour ago.

Looking for some input from you guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Subbed, because I'm curious. My dad had this on his car and I forced him to replace the tire out of paranoia (and he has health conditions, God forbid something happened during a medical emergency).

Now, I'm curious if I was paranoid for a reason, or caused him to blow money.
      08-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
ChadwickBost
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

A chunck like that out of the side wall is nothing to mess with.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Replace.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
pianoman224
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
So I took my car to my local tire shop, they told me I had nothing to worry about. They told me that it was purely cosmetic, and that had it been higher up on the sidewall, it would have been cause for concern.

I guess that section of the sidewall is extra thick for "curb protection" per what the tire tech was telling me.

I have observed no bubbles or air loss whatsoever, and that's after driving home 80 miles yesterday, then back up for work another 80 miles this morning driving 85 MPH+

I'll probably just super glue that sucker so it's not flapping around all ghetto like, and not worry about it any more. I'll be checking for bubbles every time I get in the car though, so should anything pop up i'll let you guys know.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i XDrive E90 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman224
So I took my car to my local tire shop, they told me I had nothing to worry about. They told me that it was purely cosmetic, and that had it been higher up on the sidewall, it would have been cause for concern.

I guess that section of the sidewall is extra thick for "curb protection" per what the tire tech was telling me.

I have observed no bubbles or air loss whatsoever, and that's after driving home 80 miles yesterday, then back up for work another 80 miles this morning driving 85 MPH+

I'll probably just super glue that sucker so it's not flapping around all ghetto like, and not worry about it any more. I'll be checking for bubbles every time I get in the car though, so should anything pop up i'll let you guys know.
Super glue eats rubber.
      09-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda View Post
Super glue eats rubber.
rubber cement is an option
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #8