BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
mdm9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Interlagos Blue E90 M3

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Persistent steering wheel vibration

I’ve been driving for about 8 weeks and 2500 miles with a significant shudder/vibration in the steering wheel. I have gone through all the usual suspects to try to solve it: I bought new front tires (needed new ones anyway), had all 4 wheels road-force balanced, checked for bends (rear left has a tiny bend, was told it wasn’t enough to cause this but will still need to be addressed later), and checked that there isn’t excessive play in the hub/spigot. Only thing I haven’t really investigated is if the rotors are unbalanced or something, but I haven’t changed them or anything recently so I didn’t bother.

I have had it aligned and balanced multiple times, by both a dealer and an indy. Spent about $400 so far just rebalancing and aligning it multiple times. I do not trust this dealer, but I do trust the indy so I had them rebalance and try to further diagnose the wheel vibration. They can definitely feel it too, I’m not making it up - you can see the wheel shuddering at highway speeds and feel it at 50+. The second rebalance by the reputable indy helped it and made it a bit less dramatic, but it is still a big problem that bothers me daily. When I asked them what it could possibly be and what the next step would be, they suggested either replacing the driveshaft (saying that mine could have gone out of balance or the u-joint could be going bad) or getting my hands on another set of wheels so that we can be sure that the problem is or isn’t the wheel/tire package.

Both of these are expensive options, but I really REALLY want this issue fixed. It takes a lot of the precision and joy of the M3 away.

Is there some kind of further diagnosis we or another shop could do? If the driveshaft was out of balance or bad, would the vibration be rpm specific? I feel like the car is exceptionally floaty and bouncy/vibrating around 2000-2200rpm. Could be imagining that part though. Really considering just crossing my fingers and replacing it with a rebuilt Turner driveshaft.

I was also wondering if this could be an issue with the steering rack or something that vibrates contacting the steering rack?

All opinions/input are greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I've had the same issue (maybe not as bad as yours) for years. I've tried new tires, wheels, rotors, studs instead of wheel bolts and replaced 1 front hub. Still no dice. Next on the list is replacing the front thrust arm bushings.

I never thought of the driveshaft being the issue. I would think you would feel this more in your seat vs. the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Yea not DS related, that feels like butt is vibrating. Plus iv switched DS, and still have this on and off. Might track it down one day

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm9 View Post
I’ve been driving for about 8 weeks and 2500 miles with a significant shudder/vibration in the steering wheel. I have gone through all the usual suspects to try to solve it: I bought new front tires (needed new ones anyway), had all 4 wheels road-force balanced, checked for bends (rear left has a tiny bend, was told it wasn’t enough to cause this but will still need to be addressed later), and checked that there isn’t excessive play in the hub/spigot. Only thing I haven’t really investigated is if the rotors are unbalanced or something, but I haven’t changed them or anything recently so I didn’t bother.

I have had it aligned and balanced multiple times, by both a dealer and an indy. Spent about $400 so far just rebalancing and aligning it multiple times. I do not trust this dealer, but I do trust the indy so I had them rebalance and try to further diagnose the wheel vibration. They can definitely feel it too, I’m not making it up - you can see the wheel shuddering at highway speeds and feel it at 50+. The second rebalance by the reputable indy helped it and made it a bit less dramatic, but it is still a big problem that bothers me daily. When I asked them what it could possibly be and what the next step would be, they suggested either replacing the driveshaft (saying that mine could have gone out of balance or the u-joint could be going bad) or getting my hands on another set of wheels so that we can be sure that the problem is or isn’t the wheel/tire package.

Both of these are expensive options, but I really REALLY want this issue fixed. It takes a lot of the precision and joy of the M3 away.

Is there some kind of further diagnosis we or another shop could do? If the driveshaft was out of balance or bad, would the vibration be rpm specific? I feel like the car is exceptionally floaty and bouncy/vibrating around 2000-2200rpm. Could be imagining that part though. Really considering just crossing my fingers and replacing it with a rebuilt Turner driveshaft.

I was also wondering if this could be an issue with the steering rack or something that vibrates contacting the steering rack?

All opinions/input are greatly appreciated.
My bet is one or both hubs. I know you said there wasn't excessive play in either, but I had a very similar experience in my 2009 w/78,000 miles. My vibration was speed specific. Under 50 mph there was virtually none, but at 80 mph I had very noticeable vibration. I finally started getting an ABS error so decided to try and change the hubs. That completely solved my problem. Neither hub had any noticeable play but swapping them out completely solved my vibration and ABS errors.

Buy one of the OEM substitute hubs priced at about $150/ea. I know it's a pain in the ass to spend more money with no guarantee of it being a fix, but your vibration sounds a lot like what I had.

Have you hit any potholes lately?

I had vibration; began getting the ABS error; hit a monster freeway pothole; vibration got noticeably worse; switched the hubs; no vibration and no error codes for past two months since switch.

Good luck. I know it's frustrating.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 1
mdm933.50
      06-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
mdm9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Interlagos Blue E90 M3

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Thanks for your replies.

I suppose I will try replacing the fronnt hubs and see if that does it. Im kinda at my wits end with this problem and really want to do anything to fix it. The M is just not the same like this.

Did you do just the wheel bearing assembly that spins? Or the knuckle as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm9 View Post
Thanks for your replies.

I suppose I will try replacing the fronnt hubs and see if that does it. Im kinda at my wits end with this problem and really want to do anything to fix it. The M is just not the same like this.

Did you do just the wheel bearing assembly that spins? Or the knuckle as well?
Just the assembly that holds the rotor is changed. There are four bolts with Loctite on them. They are easy to get to after manually turning the wheel, but the Loctite is a workout. The bolts break loose without too much effort but they do not get any easier until they're pretty much all the way out. Get new bolts. They come w/Loctite on them.

Is there anyway to borrow a set of wheels first? Given how much you've spent already, I'd hate for you to spend more w/o first exhausting the costless option.

Also, my switch was very easy as my BBK was just installed in Feb. Sometimes those stock rotors like to stick.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0