F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 'Best' compromise - springs & shockware vs b14's
GetBMWParts

08-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #45
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
Hey Mac - yes I got this one...
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...nstalled-arms/

The two listings Turner has are the same ones.

I went with the ones INSTALLED in the arms because it's just one less thing to do. The ball joint is new, the arm is new, and the monoball is already pressed in there. So you just go in, unbolt, bolt-in, and done. It's a laughably easy job.

CAVEAT
The ride quality is significantly different. Smooth roads, no biggie. But with any road unevenness, rough roads, etc. you WILL feel it. The best way I can describe it, it is like the old E30BMWs or Miatas or even the newer BRZ.

But for me, my commute to work is super short (like less than 5 miles) and I have nice roads around town.

And yes, the turn in response, road feel, ZERO float are big upsides.

FWIW, I'm closing in on 50 so... I'm a bit more critical when it comes to cushy.
Thanks for the info. Do you notice a difference in steering? They claim “near instantaneous steering response”. One of the big issues I have with these cars is the “feel” and steering response. It’s just numb by default, especially compared to previous generations

Also, did you install these yourself? I don’t have access to a lift, only a jack so I might still have to get a shop to do it
      08-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #46
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Mac - YES. The steering input and feedback is pretty incredible. If there was a perfect electric steering car out there, I'd say the stock FRS/BRZ is it. With the monoball set-up, this is easily within 5% of that type of feel. You definitely won't walk away after the install complaining about numb or vague steering ever again.

Installation... I have a RWD 435i so the install is maybe 1 hour tops per side. With the X car, you guys have that extra drive shaft to deal with. But we are only talking a splash panel, 1 bolt for the control arm, and 1 nut for the ball joint if I remember right.
FaRKle! may chime in as he has an X car with the KMacs.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #47
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
Mac - YES. The steering input and feedback is pretty incredible. If there was a perfect electric steering car out there, I'd say the stock FRS/BRZ is it. With the monoball set-up, this is easily within 5% of that type of feel. You definitely won't walk away after the install complaining about numb or vague steering ever again.

Installation... I have a RWD 435i so the install is maybe 1 hour tops per side. With the X car, you guys have that extra drive shaft to deal with. But we are only talking a splash panel, 1 bolt for the control arm, and 1 nut for the ball joint if I remember right.
FaRKle! may chime in as he has an X car with the KMacs.
Awesome. Thanks!
I’m getting coilovers installed next month so maybe I can have these put in at the same time, if wife approves.
      08-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #48
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Also, did you install these yourself? I don’t have access to a lift, only a jack so I might still have to get a shop to do it
It can be done on jack stands. For xDrive you need to remove the collar bolt on the outside of the hub with a 17mm hex. It's very heavily torqued (170ft-lbs IIRC) so do that when the car is on the ground with a long breaker bar. When the car is in the air you'll have to play around with/figure out how to turn the knuckle and pull out the axle from it to get enough clearance to pull the tension strut out. The rest is the same as RWD, which is much faster and easier.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0