F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BM3 OTS vs Carey Jordan vs F80Paul
GetBMWParts

07-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

BM3 OTS vs Carey Jordan vs F80Paul

I’m a millennial, but I guess I never got into the YouTube craze - I had no idea so much content was shared on there. Anyhow, I thought this was interesting:

I guess later on, the owner added a Inlet and DV. No doubt he was influenced by thejeremyman9 and ozymandias435 testing. Interested to seeing what he tops out at, but it was a neat video.

Also, I’m not worried about peak numbers, but I’m it’s good to see the car hold so much power to redline. Maybe a function of the M2 superior stock DV, intake, and better exhaust manifold.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 08-18-2020 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Yeah, i think there are a couple factors at play. First, its a dynojet, and the CF appears to be 1.05, so 403 is really only 383. That, combined with the fact that he is an M2 and has a dinan intake and exhaust (maybe combined giving 10-15 hp up top), i think its on par with what is expected.

Key thing is that its a dyno without a baseline pull so the number doesnt really mean anything.
Appreciate 3
AmuroRay2373.00
chowser512038.50
zinner560.50
      07-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Yeah, i think there are a couple factors at play. First, its a dynojet, and the CF appears to be 1.05, so 403 is really only 383. That, combined with the fact that he is an M2 and has a dinan intake and exhaust (maybe combined giving 10-15 hp up top), i think its on par with what is expected.

Key thing is that its a dyno without a baseline pull so the number doesnt really mean anything.
SAE is about 2.2% lower than STD, so that would still be 390whp. Dynojets are are pretty consistent, but this was one of the strongest examples I’ve seen overall though.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
SAE is about 2.2% lower than STD, so that would still be 390whp. Dynojets are are pretty consistent, but this was one of the strongest examples I’ve seen overall though.
Yeah i just meany dynojet versus mustang dyno, for example, as mustang tend to read lower.

The other thing i forgot to mention is he is manual, so its possible there is a few % less drivetrain loss.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #5
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
I have reas that bm3 will get you to 400 or + BMWDIYGUY can speak more on that. This video tho^ is an m2 but from what we have seen from other users bm3 will get the power but problems always arise from it
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Yeah i just meany dynojet versus mustang dyno, for example, as mustang tend to read lower.

The other thing i forgot to mention is he is manual, so its possible there is a few % less drivetrain loss.

Agreed, and is my preference....which is why they’re referred to as “The Heart Breaker”. 👍🏼🍻

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Quote:

Agreed, and is my preference....which is why they’re referred to as “The Heart Breaker”.

yep, and if you want higher readings find a spot that uses those dyna pack hub dynos.
      07-14-2020, 07:10 AM   #8
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

When most people talk about dyno, they mean Dynojet. Dynojets are (from what I remember) the most widely used dynos in the US. Yes Mustang and DynoDynamics can read lower (they are load based) but they are hard to use for comparison.

I prefer Dynojets due to their consistency. One will typically read the same as another across town.

FYI, Dynapack (a Hub Dyno) reads higher because it takes rotational mass from the wheels out of the equation
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
When most people talk about dyno, they mean Dynojet. Dynojets are (from what I remember) the most widely used dynos in the US. Yes Mustang and DynoDynamics can read lower (they are load based) but they are hard to use for comparison.

I prefer Dynojets due to their consistency. One will typically read the same as another across town.

FYI, Dynapack (a Hub Dyno) reads higher because it takes rotational mass from the wheels out of the equation
If you put a 265/35 and a 285/35 on the same car on a Dynojet, will it read the same or different power levels?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
If you put a 265/35 and a 285/35 on the same car on a Dynojet, will it read the same or different power levels?
Probably negligible difference as the tire weight would be almost identical, so rotational mass and therefore drivetrain loss should be basically the same. The tire will be slightly taller overall, but distance from center of rotation would arguably change by a negligble amount. I would say its within the deviation between back to back pulls with nothing changed.
Appreciate 1
ZM22839.50
      07-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Different for sure, but as Jeremy pointed out, it’s not going to be a big difference. I was looking for a graph I saw where the only difference was a wheel change, but I can’t find it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #12
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Edit:

F80 Paul vs Carey Jordan.

ZM2 You might want to see this too.
      08-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #13
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Edit:

F80 Paul vs Carey Jordan.

ZM2 You might want to see this too.
Nice, I'll get some popcorn.

Altho, if he didn't bolt on a larger turbo and/or HPFP, I still don't see much reason to go custom tune above OTS. Minimal gains. Plus, giving the tuners more potential power to find with more available fueling is where they really show their chops.

Anywho, let's see the outcome...

EDIT: I fast forwarded and WTF, there's no dyno of F80 Paul's tune? This is just more talk about the tuning process? YouTube "stars" wasting my time. Spoiler alert: He'll make 0-5hp more on the Paul Johnson tune since his HPFP is already crashing.

Last edited by ZM2; 08-18-2020 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #14
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Altho, if he didn't bolt on a larger turbo and/or HPFP, I still don't see much reason to go custom tune above OTS. Minimal gains. Plus, giving the tuners more potential power to find with more available fueling is where they really show their chops.

To be fair - his video review of the CJ tune was underwhelming. I thought the last response CJ gave in regards to hitting the limits of the stock hardware was dismissive.

And he did dyno in conditions that were just too hot for any car or tune. He needs hpfp and the minimum, but we’ll see how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #15
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

EDIT: I fast forwarded and WTF, there's no dyno of F80 Paul's tune? This is just more talk about the tuning process? YouTube "stars" wasting my time. Spoiler alert: He'll make 0-5hp more on the Paul Johnson tune since his HPFP is already crashing.
Just skimmed through this video myself. I thought it was kindof funny how he kept saying his HPFP was 'on its way out' because he was running alot of boost, lol... He also didnt even post the logs in the video description but you can see just from looking at them that there are a bunch of timing corrections. It also looks like HPFP is still crashing even after the last revision/log he posted? On another note you can see how his MAF is reading low because of the Dinan intake (on his digital display during the pull). Also maybe he doesnt realize he is supposed to have MAP boost on there to show 'real' boost and not pre-throttle?

These videos might actually be useful if it was someone who knew a lot about datalogging and disected the logs from the two custom tuners and compared them at their final revision, then threw in the dynos for both tunes back to back for good measure. Right now its just some guy talking about his 'experience'.
Appreciate 4
ZM22839.50
rjd_F302000.50
harkes1091.50
      08-19-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

thejeremyman9 I found it from a revision turn around experience to be that bad but he didn't really go into great detail dissecting the logs which at least I give him some credit for posting a screenshot of the logs even though it wasn't in the description but my opinion went a bit downhill when he said at least twice that his HPFP was on its way out. Not sure if it's on the tuner to let the customer know that when turning up the boost that you need adequate fueling but I just wasn't a fan of him expecting the stock setup to hold up against a custom tune that's being revised and dialed in. If he flashed back to stock and somehow got the same results then I could see it plausible to find the HPFP being the culprit.

Side note with the pre throttle reading, that's why we of course prefer the actual logs to look at the big picture but I believe that's the default parameter values the BM3 interface gives you on that screen (I could be wrong).

Not bashing him in anyway as he touched on his experience working with two different tuners and seeing the end result of their tuning strategies. Just wasn't a fan of the misinformation of the HPFP being "on its way out" as you stated as others would then go off with this misconception and say the stock HPFP is shitty when pushing beyond its stock capabilities. I even chatted with DMETuning that I have my custom tune with to ask why in the very first revision were they targeting such high boost where I told him yes my Dorch HPFP that was on its way in would resolve the stock HPFP from crashing but you'd think as a tuner they would just let the customer know "oh hey, your stock HPFP will eventually cap out as we turn up the boost."
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:40 AM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
thejeremyman9 I found it from a revision turn around experience to be that bad but he didn't really go into great detail dissecting the logs which at least I give him some credit for posting a screenshot of the logs even though it wasn't in the description but my opinion went a bit downhill when he said at least twice that his HPFP was on its way out. Not sure if it's on the tuner to let the customer know that when turning up the boost that you need adequate fueling but I just wasn't a fan of him expecting the stock setup to hold up against a custom tune that's being revised and dialed in. If he flashed back to stock and somehow got the same results then I could see it plausible to find the HPFP being the culprit.

Side note with the pre throttle reading, that's why we of course prefer the actual logs to look at the big picture but I believe that's the default parameter values the BM3 interface gives you on that screen (I could be wrong).

Not bashing him in anyway as he touched on his experience working with two different tuners and seeing the end result of their tuning strategies. Just wasn't a fan of the misinformation of the HPFP being "on its way out" as you stated as others would then go off with this misconception and say the stock HPFP is shitty when pushing beyond its stock capabilities. I even chatted with DMETuning that I have my custom tune with to ask why in the very first revision were they targeting such high boost where I told him yes my Dorch HPFP that was on its way in would resolve the stock HPFP from crashing but you'd think as a tuner they would just let the customer know "oh hey, your stock HPFP will eventually cap out as we turn up the boost."
Yeah, and to be clear, nothing against him. He is a content creator creating content that the masses like. So guy talking in depth about datalogs probably wouldnt get as many views, lol (at least not until they built a reputation and fan base). Ive skimmed through a few of his videos posted here and lets just say... he lacks knowledge about many of the products he is using and the operation of his car, and i have seen him describe things incorrectly or spread misinformation in other videos as well (even if unintentional). I guess that's fine if you just pay money for everything.

As far as the monitoring screen, i assumed it was customizeable like MHD? Not a BM3 user so not sure. Would be strange if you couldnt change the parameters and it only showed what he has there.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:55 AM   #18
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Yeah, and to be clear, nothing against him. He is a content creator creating content that the masses like. So guy talking in depth about datalogs probably wouldnt get as many views, lol (at least not until they built a reputation and fan base). Ive skimmed through a few of his videos posted here and lets just say... he lacks knowledge about many of the products he is using and the operation of his car, and i have seen him describe things incorrectly or spread misinformation in other videos as well (even if unintentional). I guess that's fine if you just pay money for everything.

As far as the monitoring screen, i assumed it was customizeable like MHD? Not a BM3 user so not sure. Would be strange if you couldnt change the parameters and it only showed what he has there.
Gotta get dem views right?

It is customizable yes but because it's also the screen that starts the auto logging, those are just the default parameters so he didn't go in and change from the pre throttle MAP for example but the logs captures everything as we both know so I tried not to pay much attention to that screen and just paused / zoomed on the graph portion.

From what I've seen him do with his F30 when he had it (personally wish he didn't tag his YT name after his original vehicle that kicked off his YT channel), he'll probably / hopefully get proper supporting hardware mods like the rest of us here have to take full advantage of the custom tune as ZM2 already echoed, he's already vested into two custom tunes on a stock vehicle so my hope is to see a follow up video where we can see how the tuners dial in the tunes and "maybe" refer to this one as a sort of "baseline
" in some manner.
Appreciate 1
ZM22839.50
      08-20-2020, 02:48 AM   #19
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

This Thic guys OTS dyno look better than the Cary Jordan tune. Support what I have always been saying - stick with OTS if you are just "FBO".
ZM22839.50
      10-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #20
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Looks like our YouTube star is giving up: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0#post26765210

Guess he found out what we all expected and realized no custom tune is going to outdo the newest gen of OTS unless you at least have an HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #21
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Honestly I can't believe he had that low of a lip on his car.. he said in his last video he basically made the car un-driveable as a daily and was scaling back (Totally agree on that one)...maybe is selling since he took it as far as he can/want to go with it... as for his videos... He just a flashy youtuber.... he's not really into the mechanics of it all compared to basically us... Don't get me wrong... his videos are entertaining but that's about as far as it goes for me anyways... He needs to expand if he wants to grow his channel... keis has been on for a few years now and has the best produced video content on BMW's and his subscription base is only 133K... I wish him luck in his new adventures... youtubing is tougher than people think...
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #22
Spider.
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 Competition

I sense way too much hate here. He doesn't claim to be an expert at all, he is just an average enthusiast, like most of us are, that is trying his best to help the community through his own experience. He may be misinformed at times but also has a good amount of videos that ARE helpful to those that aren't experts. In fact I've used some of his DIY tutorials and had no issues. Also, mistakes are also informative guys! So instead of criticizing, give the man some credit, he is investing a lot of time and effort trying help others and grow the BMW community.
Appreciate 3
Conr4d29.00
harkes1091.50