F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B48 330i drivetrain vibration under load and at speed
GetBMWParts

04-24-2023, 11:16 PM   #23
JBH6612
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i coupe M package 6 sp

Garage List
2017 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Final update:

Driveshaft pro in garden grove CA overnighted the driveshaft and my shop got it installed.

No more vibration. Car is smooth as butter. With new clutch, dual mass flywheel, transmission mounts, transmission flush, oil change, JXB bearing carrier support, and new driveshaft, it’s crazy how smooth the car feels. There’s no more notchy feeling shifts, no shift knob vibration, and really feels like a new car. Clutch will take getting used to since it’s very soft, almost no friction when I press it.

All these items with labor was about $6500. Is it worth it? For me, yes. I took a 26k used 430i and turned it into 33k car but I feel like I spent it well for my car to behave like it should from when it’s new. She has 60k on the odometer and the shop noted they did not see mechanical issues with the engine or the transmission so it should last me quite some time with these new parts.

To summarize, here’s a list of parts and shit I went through to solve the vibration:

* Multiple wheel balancings including Hunter Road Force.
* New driver front wheel bearing by dealer under limited warranty
* Straightened 3 bend rims
* 2 new front tires
* New spark plugs
* OEM Clutch and dual mass flywheel
* OEM transmission mounts
* JXB center support carrier
* Driveshaft from Driveshaft Pro
* BG EPR Engine treatment
* Liqui Moly transmission oil
* Liqui Moly Ceratec
* Liqui Moly 5w30 oil change
* OEM engine mounts (future enhancement)
* A metric shit ton of patience by me and my shop.

Hope someone reads this and figure out what’s best for them when it comes to complicated vibration issues. Some are due to simple issues as unbalanced wheels or wheel bearings. But I drew the short stick and got hit with a driveshaft issue. Essentially I got shafted in the end but finally enjoying my car now. Now it’s time to slowly modding my car.

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:13 PM   #24
JBH6612
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 430i  [0.00]
I closed it out too early….

Put about 200 miles on my car driving in city traffic to break in the clutch. Feeling vibration only from 40-50mph. 80+mph vibration is gone.

Talked to the shop and we’re gonna put in new engine mounts. If that doesn’t work, I’m gonna suspect JXB center support carrier.

Will report back once the mounts are in. Hopefully one more last post to this journey.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 06:59 PM   #25
JBH6612
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Got back from the shop. Hopefully the last time with this vibration issue.

Replaced engine mounts, guibo flex discs, and modified JXB carrier bushings. Engine mounts had a small tear and flex discs had some surface cracks, not sure if there were enough cracks to cause vibration. I contacted the owner of JXB performance and he sent extra set of center support bearing bushings so we can troubleshoot it. His suggestion was to cut 6 small holes in the bushings so that the carrier isn’t clamping down as hard on the center support bearing. We did just that.

Vibration is about 95% resolved now. Very smooth with minimal vibration at 40-50mph. I still think that by putting on the JXB CSB carrier, it amplified the vibration issue which otherwise would’ve been absorbed by factory carrier since JXB carrier is more rigid.

This is the end of my vibration journey. If you have questions, let me know.
Appreciate 1
E__F6.00