E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 335i Feels Slow But Target Boost Still Being Met

05-12-2023, 11:36 PM   #1
Michaelkpsa
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93 2007 Manual

Unhappy 2007 335i Feels Slow But Target Boost Still Being Met

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if you could please help me out with an issue, I purchased my E93 335i about a year ago and was quite disappointed with the performance of this car after hearing really good things about it.

Since then I have upgraded the following on the car hoping it will help with the performance.

- New silicone vacuum lines
- 2x Pierburg boost solenoids
- 1-Step colder spark plugs
- New ignition coils
- Dual cone intakes
- BMS 5" intercooler
- Oil Catch can
- VRSF downpipes
- Upgraded chargepipes
- Tial BOV
- BMS cowl filters
- Turbo inlets
As well as all other general maintenance: oil, oil filter, coolant, etc

The car has 140,000km and the 6spd manual transmission

I ran some logs on MHD to see that boost was never reaching target boost and was rising very slowly.

I had very bad wastegate rattle and after changing all of the above with no luck in change of boost levels I decided to take out the turbos and purchase a new wastegate kit from Vargas and weld them onto the turbos. I also replaced all gaskets, nuts & bolts in the process.

After that was done I put the turbos back onto the car and finally my boost levels were reaching target boost and was able to build full boost after around 600-700rpm at 100% throttle from around 2500rpm. However, I noticed that the car is now over boosting and lands on target boost very hard compared to some other logs I've seen where boost gradually increases to meet the target boost levels. After I put all the modifications on I flashed to stage 2+ and was still quite disappointed in the performance of the car. The car feels extremely slow when boost is not being built (under 3000rpm)

I'm not sure if it's just me but I've only ever driven cars with around the 200 - 250hp mark and for a car that is supposedly meant to be making 400hp+ on the stage2+ tune it was extremely underwhelming, I have driven an E92 N54 with the DCT and with a stage 2+ tune and it felt much more powerful than my car. I've read posts where some people are stating that their n54s can't grab traction in 1st, 2nd or even 3rd gear with the stage2+ tune but for me the car is unresponsive and feels slow even though boost levels are meeting target.

I've noticed that the target boost is 18.6psi and the boost overshoots it by
1-2psi (19 - 20psi) @ 100% throttle this causes a massive drop in throttle closure from 81.1 (which I believe is meant to be 100% on these cars) to around 30.0 before very slowly increasing to around 35.0 but never reaches back up to 81.1 on a stage 2+ pull.

My question is:

- Is there car over boosting because of larger turbo inlets? or maybe because the wastegates were tightened down too much. I set the wastegate to close at 6inHg but still be able to be spun with my fingers and at 7inHg to be fully sealed and unable to be spun with my fingers. Is this something that would be able to be fixed with a custom tune?

- Why does the car still feel so unresponsive? I'm not sure if this issue is turbo related or if it is something else. Is the throttle closure causing the car to become so slow? The car is meeting target boost but still feels boring and unresponsive to drive.

I have not yet done walnut blasting but would this have such a massive effect on the performance of the car? I have enabled 100% throttle response on the MHD tune to see if that would help but still so underwhelming. For a car that is supposedly meant to have 400+HP it feels incredibly slow even though boost levels are being met.

I have now flashed back to stage 0 until I can get to the bottom on why the car is acting the way it is, the car at stage 0 still feels way slower than what I think it should be. I did get a 29CD code: Combustion Misfire - Cyl1 after attempting to do a log on stage 2+ but cleared it and it has not come back.

After doing a pull on stage 0 to record some logs I got the codes 30FE:Charge-air pressure too high & 3100: Boost-Pressure Control deactivation which I already know that the car is over boosting at the moment. I have cleared these and they have also not come back.

The car currently has no codes / CEL.

I was able to record a proper log on stage 0 with traction control fully off.

Stage 0 3rd Gear Log:

https://datazap.me/u/michaelkpsa/sta...=0&data=3-5-23

I was also able to log a small pull on stage 2+ to about 5300rpm

Stage 2+ 2nd Gear Log:

https://datazap.me/u/michaelkpsa/sta...og=0&data=3-14

If someone could please have a look at my logs and see if they see anything unusual or any suggestions on what might be happening with the car, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first time posting on a forum so if you need any additional information please let me know.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 01:45 AM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

No walnut blasting don't yet? That might be the issue. Have you seen the photos of the dirty intake valves? Some of those look like massive restrictions.

I'm new to the N54 having recently picked up a E93 335i, coming from a 06 330i, and I too am a bit underwhelmed after hearing how amazing they are. The biggest difference is that the 335 has a LOT more torque at low RPMs and definitely accelerates faster, but it's not whip me back in the seat acceleration. Part of the issue is that I ride a sport bike that does 0-60 in 2.7 so all cars feel slow by comparison, but the N54 power is very linear and the E9X chassis masks speed well. The car doesn't feel like it's going fast but it is. I suspect I need the intake valves walnut blasted as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 06:48 PM   #3
Fiasco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi E90

FWIW I drove an E92 335i before I got into my LCI 328xi and it felt slower than my car does. Wasn't impressed with the stock N54 and how it built boost, maybe that's everyone mods theirs. My old Mazdaspeed 6 made both cars feel slow.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 09:27 AM   #4
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

What is your approximate 0 to 60 time? What is your approximate 1/4 mile time? You don't need exact numbers. Then compare to published numbers.

Something like The Torque App Pro will give you 0 to 60 times.

Do you have dragging brakes? Check for excessive wheel temperatures, or one that is different than the others.
Appreciate 0