F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Retrofit auto dimming mirror possible?
ARMA SPEED

10-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #23
wheeljack
Rep
Drives: F36

Hello
I retrofited mirror in my f36 from F10 LCI - 51169345381
Its Homelink + FLA + auto dimming for europe with this same handle like F3x

Like everyone know auto dimming mirror from f3x its this same like in f10 LCI, but with FLA and homelink its have different oem numbers (F3x europe didnt have homelink mirrors - only this retrofited like Gxx one)

Everything work perfect - dimming, fla, homelink, but i have one problem. When i lock the car my cluster is lighting - its normal, but after some second its going to sleep, and back lighting again. After 5-6 times of it it go sleep normal. Ofc i coded kombi, fla, fem with all options, but its someting wrong.

any idea?

ps. sorry for my bad english
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:51 AM   #24
SK223
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeljack View Post
Hello
I retrofited mirror in my f36 from F10 LCI - 51169345381
Its Homelink + FLA + auto dimming for europe with this same handle like F3x

Like everyone know auto dimming mirror from f3x its this same like in f10 LCI, but with FLA and homelink its have different oem numbers (F3x europe didnt have homelink mirrors - only this retrofited like Gxx one)

Everything work perfect - dimming, fla, homelink, but i have one problem. When i lock the car my cluster is lighting - its normal, but after some second its going to sleep, and back lighting again. After 5-6 times of it it go sleep normal. Ofc i coded kombi, fla, fem with all options, but its someting wrong.

any idea?

ps. sorry for my bad english
Hi there

I've done the same retrofit to my F20 but with the FLA camera which comes with the auto dimming mirror. At first I've wired it to the rain sensor as many did and it works with the LIN cable and the KL30 wire. The LIN cable works just fine, however after some digging I found out that the KL15 from the rain sensor isn't really suitable for powering the mirror. The reason being is that the mirror requires KL30 as mentioned previously, which is a constant 12v power supply, whereas KL15 is power while the ignition is on and after a while as well (from memory).
Also one thing to mention is that everything was VO coded correctly and there's no errors on ISTA, so my analysis is accurate

Now what happens is that when you turn the car off and just sit it in, normally the car would go to sleep after a while. However with the mirror wired to the rain sensor, the car won't go to sleep because the mirror wants a constant power supply, preventing the car from going to sleep. This causes the dash lights to turn off, then back on again after a few seconds.
Beware that after a while of this, the car will reset the BMS in an attempt to try and resolve the issue as it does not know what it going on, this will lead to you getting a flat battery and the car won't realise because the battery state of charge resets.

For now I've just resorted to unplugging the mirror for the time being, as it prevents the car from sleeping it causes more battery drain from other modules, which actually left me with a flat battery while I was out, so I had to call someone to give me a jumpstart.

Using ISTA I've figured out that the fuse box has a fuse for the auto dimming mirror, and that my car already has the fuse, so now I need to figure out how to wire it from the fuse box to the mirror.

If anyone could provide some advice with that it would be appreciated.

Hope that this helps someone
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #25
wheeljack
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK_119 View Post
Hi there

I've done the same retrofit to my F20 but with the FLA camera which comes with the auto dimming mirror. At first I've wired it to the rain sensor as many did and it works with the LIN cable and the KL30 wire. The LIN cable works just fine, however after some digging I found out that the KL15 from the rain sensor isn't really suitable for powering the mirror. The reason being is that the mirror requires KL30 as mentioned previously, which is a constant 12v power supply, whereas KL15 is power while the ignition is on and after a while as well (from memory).
Also one thing to mention is that everything was VO coded correctly and there's no errors on ISTA, so my analysis is accurate

Now what happens is that when you turn the car off and just sit it in, normally the car would go to sleep after a while. However with the mirror wired to the rain sensor, the car won't go to sleep because the mirror wants a constant power supply, preventing the car from going to sleep. This causes the dash lights to turn off, then back on again after a few seconds.
Beware that after a while of this, the car will reset the BMS in an attempt to try and resolve the issue as it does not know what it going on, this will lead to you getting a flat battery and the car won't realise because the battery state of charge resets.

For now I've just resorted to unplugging the mirror for the time being, as it prevents the car from sleeping it causes more battery drain from other modules, which actually left me with a flat battery while I was out, so I had to call someone to give me a jumpstart.

Using ISTA I've figured out that the fuse box has a fuse for the auto dimming mirror, and that my car already has the fuse, so now I need to figure out how to wire it from the fuse box to the mirror.

like i write in another thread - i will check it really thx !
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #26
SK223
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeljack View Post
Quote:
Hi there

like i write in another thread - i will check it really thx !
No problem, glad that I could help.

Let me know how it goes, I still have yet to do it to my car as I haven't had time, so I've unplugged the mirror for the moment as that's stopped the problem
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 06:15 PM   #27
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i

wiring confusing

Hi guys, sorry for reviving an old post, but I'm doing an auto-dimming interior mirror retrofit and got confused by the stated wiring for the rain sensor from which I want to draw power and LIN bus...

To start off, it's stated multiple times (by SK_119 among others) that the rain sensor supposedly uses KL15 power, while the interior mirror requires KL30. However, if you look at the wiring diagrams that are linked to in post #11, I believe it's the other way round: rain sensor normally is on KL30 (permanent power) and mirror on KL15 (switched power). Can anyone confirm I'm reading the diagrams correctly?

This would also better explain why the car won't go to sleep if the mirror is wired from the rain sensor I guess: being on permanent power (KL30) the FLA camera keeps sending signals thereby preventing sleep mode.

Now this brings me to my second question: for those of you that wired the mirror from the rain sensor, are you all having trouble with sleep mode or does this only happen for mirrors with FLA camera (which mine doesn't have)? Also, even if sleep mode is working I suspect that being wired to the rain sensor's KL30 power keeps the auto-dimming of the mirror permanently active even when the car is switched off (and sleeping), right? Can anyone confirm this? Is this a problem for draining the battery or fault codes for the mirror in ISTA?

Does anyone know whether there is another KL15 power source closeby that I could use? Possibly the sunroof or interior lights and/or map reading lights? SOS button? Anything..??

Cheers,

Tony Twoclicks

Last edited by Tony Twoclicks; 04-01-2022 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 06:41 PM   #28
SK223
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Twoclicks View Post
Hi guys, sorry for reviving an old post, but I'm doing an auto-dimming interior mirror retrofit and got confused by the stated wiring for the rain sensor from which I want to draw power and LIN bus...

To start off, it's stated multiple times (by SK_119 among others) that the rain sensor supposedly uses KL15 power, while the interior mirror requires KL30. However, if you look at the wiring diagrams that are linked to in post #11, I believe it's the other way round: rain sensor normally is on KL30 (permanent power) and mirror on KL15 (switched power). Can anyone confirm I'm reading the diagrams correctly?

This would also better explain why the car won't go to sleep if the mirror is wired from the rain sensor I guess: being on permanent power (KL30) the FLA camera keeps sending signals thereby preventing sleep mode.

Now this brings me to my second question: for those of you that wired the mirror from the rain sensor, are you all having trouble with sleep mode or does this only happen for mirrors with FLA camera (which mine doesn't have)? Also, even if sleep mode is working I suspect that being wired to the rain sensor's KL30 power keeps the auto-dimming of the mirror permanently active even when the car is switched off (and sleeping), right? Can anyone confirm this? Is this a problem for draining the battery?

Does anyone know whether there is another KL15 power source closeby that I could use? Possibly the sunroof or interior lights and/or map reading lights? SOS button? Anything..??

Cheers,

Tony TwoClicks
Hi there Tony, turns out you are right. Seems that I got mixed up with KL15 and KL30 while writing my original post, I just had a look at the diagrams again and the rain sensor is KL30 and the mirror is KL15.

And regarding your second question it's possible that it's just an issue relating to the FLA camera since I don't think I've seen the issue with anyone else, since most people retrofitting the FLA camera usually already have the auto dimming mirror.

So in other words people that have done manual mirror > dimming mirror I think are fine since I don't see a reason why it would interrupt the car from going into the sleep state.

I went manual dimming mirror > FLA Camera & auto dimming mirror with the rain sensor power supply hooked up to it and I was having the issues as discussed already. Going to get a wire from the fuse box to solve that issue so for the time being I just had the cover off the camera and would unplug it when not in use, not ideal but didn't come round to doing the wiring as I'm going to do a few more things to the car that need wiring anyway

Hope that helps, and proves why peer review is a good thing👍
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #29
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i

Quote:
Hope that helps, and proves why peer review is a good thing👍
Thank you and you're welcome , it helped a lot. I went ahead and fitted the auto-dimming mirror (without FLA camera) this weekend using power and LIN bus from the rain sensor. It required VO coding option 431 to get it working. Without coding, the mirror simply would not dim. I also haven't had any problems with the car going to sleep; haven't looked in ISTA for potential fault codes though... Next stop: auto-dimming and folding outside mirrors...

Good luck with running your new wire(s). Shouldn't be too hard I think if you can find some spare time. I hope everything turns out well for you.

Cheers,

Tony
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 07:27 AM   #30
Marcel1988
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 & F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgnavarro View Post
Thank you very much! I just wired (+) and (LIN) to the mirror and it worked! Luckily I did not need to code my car as the LIN commands were already available in the LIN Bus to make the mirror work. Even the console intensity control is able to dim the compass intensity.

Thanks all for helping out and contributing, I can provide pictures or any additional details to anyone interested, just send me a PM.

Hi have connected the LIN with the rain sensor?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 09:41 AM   #31
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

There is no need to mess with any of the wiring to get folding mirriors to work. You just need to add 3 extra pins in to the new switch pack, bridge those to the ajacent pins, plug in the pack and mirriors and code.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 07:53 PM   #32
Marcel1988
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 & F30

It’s not for the outside mirrors. But for the inside rear mirror.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 12:51 PM   #33
labanauskas
Enlisted Member
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel1988 View Post
Hi have connected the LIN with the rain sensor?
Hi any updates? So we can connect + and LIN from mirror to rain sensor wires or not?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 03:32 PM   #34
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by labanauskas View Post
Hi any updates? So we can connect + and LIN from mirror to rain sensor wires or not?
Yes from wiring diagram this is same LINbus.
Attached Images

11-09-2023, 01:22 AM   #35
labanauskas
Enlisted Member
Lithuania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
Yes from wiring diagram this is same LINbus.
And power also can be taken from rain sensor?
      11-09-2023, 04:32 AM   #36
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And power also can be taken from rain sensor?
No power for the mirror has it's own fuse.
Attached Images

11-09-2023, 05:36 AM   #37
labanauskas
Enlisted Member
Lithuania
Rep

Quote:
No power for the mirror has it's own fuse.
But if I tap cable into rain sensors' plus nothing wrong will happen )
      11-09-2023, 06:23 AM   #38
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But if I tap cable into rain sensors' plus nothing wrong will happen )
It will probably fine but there is a difference in terminal.
Mirror is on Terminal 15N while the rest there is on Terminal 30B.
read more here:

https://https://https://************...b-30f-50.5630/

So no garantuees

Edit: links get censored, so google 'BMW terminal explanation'

Last edited by mrpingu; 11-09-2023 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 12:16 AM   #39
labanauskas
Enlisted Member
Lithuania
Rep

Quote:
It will probably fine but there is a difference in terminal.
Mirror is on Terminal 15N while the rest there is on Terminal 30B.
read more here:

https://https://https://************...b-30f-50.5630/

So no garantuees

Edit: links get censored, so google 'BMW terminal explanation'
I think it will be ok ;-D
      03-07-2024, 03:13 AM   #40
SV78
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Thanks for these posts! Big help for me, it made the retrofit very easy. Somehow the dimming didn't work at first, but that was due to a bad cable connection. Als coding was a breeze.
Appreciate 0