E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Weird ticking noise when accelerating

11-26-2023, 09:58 AM   #1
LanDzia
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Question Weird ticking noise when accelerating

2006 N52 zf 6hp19z 3 stage intake manifold, 97k miles.
I've been having this weird noise ever since I got the car.
Can't understand where is it coming from, either torque converter, or maybe disa valves?
I've got 0 codes, car runs perfectly. Pulls strong. Gearbox adaptations all within healthy range.
Gearbox has been serviced recently with no change.

https://youtube.com/shorts/B33-StY7W...BoR88GXOlpzg1x

The sound you can hear in the beginning of video and more pronounced from 0:18 once I pass zebra crossing. Its distinct ticking noise.
I can recreate it when car is cold and under higher rpms, usually starting from 3k. It seems to be related to how much I press accelerator pedal as with normal driving you wouldn't hear it.
Also when the car is warm it doesn't seem to make this sound at all.

Also, it's stronger in DS, but only because (I believe) its normally keeping higher rpms.

Again, car runs perfectly and I've had this car since January, put over 5k miles with no problems.

Anyone has any idea what it can be?

Last edited by LanDzia; 12-07-2023 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 03:26 AM   #2
LanDzia
Enlisted Member
Rep

Up
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 12:08 PM   #3
LanDzia
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 04:21 PM   #4
jubliee
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Hello,
I have listened to the recording that you have provided. I will say it is hard to hear the ticking noise. Do you hear the tickling noise when it is idling also?

-Jub
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #5
LanDzia
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubliee View Post
Hello,
I have listened to the recording that you have provided. I will say it is hard to hear the ticking noise. Do you hear the tickling noise when it is idling also?

-Jub
No, it's just under hard acceleration.
There's distinct sound from 0:18 I thr background that's not engine. Very odd sound, like some pieces are touching each other.
Similar sound that comes to mind would be produced by hard drive in old computer when it's working hard reading data. Very similar sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 05:20 PM   #6
jubliee
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanDzia View Post
No, it's just under hard acceleration.
There's distinct sound from 0:18 I thr background that's not engine. Very odd sound, like some pieces are touching each other.
Similar sound that comes to mind would be produced by hard drive in old computer when it's working hard reading data. Very similar sound.
Hmm. I wish I could offer some help on this. I do not know if I experienced the same thing, but my engine would have a ticking noise and when I did bring it to the shop they said nothing was wrong and there were no error codes.

The ticking noise did happen with cold weather, high acceleration, idling, and sometimes warm weather. The ticking stop for me after I switch my engine motor oil to Liquid Moly and now I do not have the ticking noise. So I am not sure if that is the same as what you are experiencing.

I do understand the frustration and hope maybe another member might be able to help.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 05:28 PM   #7
LanDzia
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubliee View Post
Hmm. I wish I could offer some help on this. I do not know if I experienced the same thing, but my engine would have a ticking noise and when I did bring it to the shop they said nothing was wrong and there were no error codes.

The ticking noise did happen with cold weather, high acceleration, idling, and sometimes warm weather. The ticking stop for me after I switch my engine motor oil to Liquid Moly and now I do not have the ticking noise. So I am not sure if that is the same as what you are experiencing.

I do understand the frustration and hope maybe another member might be able to help.
From what you're describing it sounds like lifters which is super common thing on n52.
The only way to fully eliminate is to change them completely which is quite expensive job. Not worth it IMO.
To temporarily minimise it, just get on motorway and drive car with over 3k rpm for 10 or so min.
Some people recommend to just increase rpm to 3k+ when idling for a few minutes.
Just research N52 lifter tick
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 05:53 PM   #8
jubliee
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanDzia View Post
From what you're describing it sounds like lifters which is super common thing on n52.
The only way to fully eliminate is to change them completely which is quite expensive job. Not worth it IMO.
To temporarily minimise it, just get on motorway and drive car with over 3k rpm for 10 or so min.
Some people recommend to just increase rpm to 3k+ when idling for a few minutes.
Just research N52 lifter tick
Thanks for the information.

I remember someone saying that it was lifters. But I hope there are some answers for what you are dealing with. I feel that it is hard to determine what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 01:22 AM   #9
LanDzia
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update!
Last weekend I've checked my large disa valve and as I was suspecting it's broken. Full of oil and valve was flapping around freely.
Motor seem to be operational, albeit lazy when initiating with inpa.

Put a new disa and this noise is all gone!

Now that I think about it it all make sense. At about 3000 rpm large disa is opening to bring more air and with that it's just flapping around making this sound.
Appreciate 1
Mike K332.00