BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-02-2006, 02:04 AM   #45
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Yes, BMW does combine displacement with high revs more than any company other than Ferrari.

All the M cars have an engine that have the same to slightly larger displacement than the base models. That, combined with the very wide power bands, ensure that event at low revs the cars feels like a BMW. i.e. you don't need to drop a bunch of gears to go. However, when its really go time you can downshift and use all the revs.

Cars that have very good hp/lbs ratios tend to still have enough go even when you are not in their powerband. The E46 M3 never feels lacking around town unless its under 2k. The E39 M5 was the same. Even my elise with its peaky engine is fine. It doesn't have the flexiblity of the M3 so you really have to row the gearbox on the track but around town even at 1500rpm its fine. It has enough of a power reserve that even when you are out of the band its fine unless you are in a race.

PS: The reason I don't do an engine swap is because the K20 is heavy compared to the 2zz. The 10:1 lbs/hp ratio is good enough. With the same power to weight as my M3 the car is still about 5 seconds faster on the tracks around here. Its all about the suspension and ability to carry speed where the M3 just plows.
      11-02-2006, 02:56 AM   #46
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

Hmm, I didn't know that it was that much heavier. The K20A that is.
Appreciate 0