F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android 11 / 12 /13 HU discussion
GetBMWParts

03-02-2024, 12:09 PM   #2487
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9099 View Post
To get working bluetooth calls I used a splitter on the screen harness to connect the DAC to the my CIC
By "splitter", what do you mean?
1. A 'Y' splitter cable... where 2x 3.5mm jacks go IN and 1x 3.5mm jack comes OUT?
So, you joined the HU audio out & the DAC audio out and plugged it into the AUX-IN?

2. DAC -> 3.5mm jack -> red/black/white wires -> FAKRA pins 2/7/8 (as shown below)? (This should do the same thing - maybe I will try this tomorrow).
Attached Images

Last edited by conandrum; 03-02-2024 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 12:25 PM   #2488
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
...also coded the CIC to use CIC AUX not Combox AUX and disabling the USB in the armrest.
Why was it necessary to disable the USB in the armrest?

Quote:
... The outcome was much louder and clearer souand from the 662 screen via DAC for music and NAV ....
I guess by "much louder and clearer" you mean when compared to the default HU audio output. right?

Quote:
...and when a call came through because of the splitter it still routed analogue audio (AUX) to the CIC albeit not via the DAC.
Did you experience any interference/noise from the HU into the splitter/joiner?
From my experience the HU audio out has some noticeable white-noise in the audio output. However, when I plugged both the DAC output wire and the HU output wire, into a mini mixer (I posted 2 weeks ago) the white noise disappears. (HU on its own = noise)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 12:38 PM   #2489
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
...I decided to get a Helix DSP with a HiRes USB HEC module to remove most of the added rubbish out of the equasion.
... One compromise is that I have to use a separate volume controller (Helix Commander) to control the volume of sound globally.
Links to actual products please?

Quote:
My final solution was to send a speaker high level signal from the CIC to the DSP which then feeds my amps. This meant I could remove the splitter and allow the screen to function as intended sending bluetooth calls, parking sensor beeps and warning alarms to the CIC AUX and in parallel I am sending via a long USB cable all the music, nav etc... to the Helix USB HEC.
HU audio -> CIC AUX
and in parallel
HU USB -> Helix USB HEX -> ??? (How do the signals mix?)

Also, what about the low output volume from the HU BT phone calls and other audio? How did you overcome that?

Quote:
I hope this all makes sense, it was a very long journey for me.
I know what you mean!!!
I am still working on my setup. Even this afternoon!

Last edited by conandrum; 03-02-2024 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 03:58 PM   #2490
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Read the first post.
That does not answer my question. The first post mentions different hardware versions, firmware updates, etc.

No mention of:

Manufacturer
Model number
Link to retailer
Example link to store where to buy one

etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 04:25 PM   #2491
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
That does not answer my question. The first post mentions different hardware versions, firmware updates, etc.

No mention of:

Manufacturer
Model number
Link to retailer
Example link to store where to buy one

etc.
Manufacturer: Chines children
Model number: 123-China
Link to retailer: AliExpress

Sorry to be so blunt this is exactly what you asked about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
Does this thread cover the hardware anywhere? What display / equipment is this thread referring to?
This thread is covering the exact hardware and firmware that is mentioned in the first post, so Snapdragon based units (with the hardware spec as per the first post) running KSW firmware (which is then broken down to all available formats). There are dozens of other units, made in the same factories or not, using different SoCs and firmware.

Ever heard of Chinese whispers or telephone game? Well this is exactly what Chinese are doing with these units. There is no model number, no one knows who actually manufactures the hardware and there are dozens of shops popping up and closing every day on AliExpress. We class them by SoC type and firmware that is running on them - so again, Snapdragon and KSW. Further more some shops mix photos, spec and description form other listings just to make it more difficult for you to know what you're actually buying. You will not find any links to shops in post made by Kri or myself for this and many other reasons. Other forum members might be willing to share where they got their units from but this is at their own discretion.

Armed with the knowledge from the first thread you should be able to avoid bad units (or fake as we call them here - a device that pretends to be something that it actually isn't) when shopping for one.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 05:04 PM   #2492
FireBlaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i 6MT M-Sport

Wondering if anyone has successfully installed A13 v1.5.0 on first post or can at least get the update pop-up. I tried loading it via USB stick but didn’t get the update notification. The only difference this time is I have KSW toolkit installed to test what it can do for me so not sure if that has any effect.
      03-03-2024, 12:15 AM   #2493
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Man.

Thank you! This makes more sense now.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 03:53 PM   #2494
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrum View Post
By "splitter", what do you mean?
1. A 'Y' splitter cable... where 2x 3.5mm jacks go IN and 1x 3.5mm jack comes OUT?
So, you joined the HU audio out & the DAC audio out and plugged it into the AUX-IN?

CORRECT! I can't remember if the y splitter was 2M>1F or 1M>2F, I still haven't removed it, it's just redundant as I no longer use a DAC.

2. DAC -> 3.5mm jack -> red/black/white wires -> FAKRA pins 2/7/8 (as shown below)? (This should do the same thing - maybe I will try this tomorrow).

Your android loom will have those wires already. Not sure if you have CCC or CIC, but in my case, I did a CIC retrofit with COMBOX and didn't need to do anything to the CCC standard harness, just coding. The coding will 100% work for all audio system variants, as I've retrofitted CIC to an e61 that already had Logik7 and the coding worked and made the audio clearer as experienced in my e92 coded to Hifi. One accidental positive is that you'll no longer need to run a wire from the screen to the armrest AUX port.

Quote:
Why was it necessary to disable the USB in the armrest?

On the E series to enable the AUX from the back of the CIC and not the Combox AUX you have to disable the USB media port in the armrest. I've not found any other way to have both active. It's quirk of the E generation only. The F series use the head unit AUX (I could be wrong, but this was the case on a friends F30 that we fitted a 10.1" KSW screen to with business nav).

I guess by "much louder and clearer" you mean when compared to the default HU audio output. right?

Coding aux to the headunit, I can only speculate that there is a filter of some sort built into the armrest AUX port. The difference was obvious. Between my e92 and my friend's e61 we both were immediately aware of the difference in sound, my friend who knows a massive deal about car audio noticed it. If I was to speculate, could it be the shorter run of wires? Is it filtering or AUX voltage differences the two coding options? I don't know. But the difference was 100% obvious on E series cars that I've coded like this.

Did you experience any interference/noise from the HU into the splitter/joiner?
From my experience the HU audio out has some noticeable white-noise in the audio output. However, when I plugged both the DAC output wire and the HU output wire, into a mini mixer (I posted 2 weeks ago) the white noise disappears. (HU on its own = noise)

I've moved on from using the y-splitter, but I can't say that I had any issues. My friend's e61, I've not had any reports from him of interference, but a ground isolator would work just as well as a splitter.
Quote:
Links to actual products please?

It's pointless me linking to what I have as I don't know which factory audio system your car has. Mine is heavily upgraded from BASE. If yours is Logik7 or Individual Audio, the Helix DSP and HEC are a complicated install due to the MOST amplifier in those systems. It's not a drop in upgrade to be honest for any of the factory BMW audio systems, but way easier with 676 hifi and a little bit more involved for BASE but not too terrible.

But for reference I have:
Helix DSP Mini MK2
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...s/dsp-mini-mk2

Hi-Res USB HEC for MDSP MK2 (They're specific because the faceplate comes with the HEC card)
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...-usb-interface

HU audio -> CIC AUX
and in parallel
HU USB -> Helix USB HEX -> ??? (How do the signals mix?)

662 Screen > CIC AUX for calls, parking beeps, alarm bongs > High level input on the HELIX DSP

In parallel

662 screen USB port> 5m USB cable > Hi-Res USB HEC on the Helix DSP

The screen treats the Hi-Res USB HEC module the same as a DAC.

The digital connection requires either a Commander or Director to control Volume, sub level, rear fill etc... I have a Commander because the Director is 2.5x the cost.

Commander:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/b...ries/conductor

Director:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/b...remote-control

Audio mixing, channel time alignment, conversion all taken care of by the DSP and then sent to my amplifiers. So to answer your question... the DSP mixes the two separate signals.

I will try to draw a diagram of this and attach it. EDIT: DIAGRAM ATTACHED

Also, what about the low output volume from the HU BT phone calls and other audio? How did you overcome that?

I used to have to turn up the AUX volume on the CIC (armrest AUX), after coding to the AUX on the CIC, I set the headunit AUX volume to halfway and forgot about it.

I had a huge problem with the screens inbuilt bluetooth, if you were navigating in an area you don't know and a call came through, you were locked to the call screen till the call was over. I never overcame this issue but did set the bluetooth on the screen to car bluetooth and installed the extra speaker to mitigate till an update fixed this.

I know what you mean!!!
I am still working on my setup. Even this afternoon!

My car has been a work in progress for 6 years... It never gets old
All answers in BOLD. Any other questions that the answers have triggered ask away, I'll do my best to clarify. One last addition, my system sounds better than L7 so I'd say it was worth the mega spend, but if you already have L7 this isn't what I would consider money well spent.
Attached Images

Last edited by 9099; 03-03-2024 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Added a diagram
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 05:54 PM   #2495
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the info! Great!

Quote:
I had a huge problem with the screens inbuilt bluetooth, if you were navigating in an area you don't know and a call came through, you were locked to the call screen till the call was over. I never overcame this issue but did set the bluetooth on the screen to car bluetooth and installed the extra speaker to mitigate till an update fixed this.
Are you talking about the Android HU BT calling app (where you pair your phone)?
If so, yes, whenever you get a call, you cannot flip over to another app until the call is over, by default!
But, you can always go to the app properties and remove the permission to 'display over other apps'. I did test it and it can even do split screen. I did not test to see what happens when you get an incoming call though. Check it out.

Last edited by conandrum; 03-03-2024 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2024, 11:32 PM   #2496
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Are you talking about the Android HU BT calling app (where you pair your phone)?
If so, yes, whenever you get a call, you cannot flip over to another app until the call is over, by default!
But, you can always go to the app properties and remove the permission to 'display over other apps'. I did test it and it can even do split screen. I did not test to see what happens when you get an incoming call though. Check it out.
I'll take a look! This has been bugging me since I purchased the screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:06 AM   #2497
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamanix View Post
FiiO Q3
Shamanix
About the Q3 battery...
Let's say you go on holiday abroad for a couple of weeks and leave the Q3 in the car without switching it off. When you come back, the Q3 will obviously be discharged.
When you start the car, will the Q3 start working normally?...
...or will it need to be charged for a few hours, and switched OFF & ON, before it starts working?

Look at this review on Amazon:
Quote:
Andrew Nutt
2.0 out of 5 stars The battery is garbage.
Reviewed in the United States on September 25, 2021
Verified Purchase
The sound I get from the DAC is what I wanted when I purchased it, however the internal battery seems to be garbage. If I fully charge the battery, but don’t use it for a couple days, it will be dead and I can’t use it until it’s charged again. This was apparent from the first charge, however it was confirmed after charging it a second time. This DAC is brand new and shouldn’t be having these issues.
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0B2LBYK6D
Quote:
Vince
5.0 out of 5 stars A bomb smaller than an iphone !
Reviewed in Canada on May 20, 2022
Verified Purchase
... There is one thing I don't like and it's the otg protocal and apple. Iphone won't charge de Dac. So no battery, no party. But at least, if you use it on pc, it will charge via the cablem, and once charged, will switch to the usb-c or usb-a power. It won't run cycles on the battery. ...

Last edited by conandrum; 03-05-2024 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 12:45 PM   #2498
Shamanix
Second Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: X6M E71, E63 645Ci, F01 750

Quote:
Shamanix
About the Q3 battery...
No problems with the battery. Turn on constant charging. When the HU is turned on, even with the battery completely drained, the USB-Dac will automatically turn on and work. The instructions have a description of the modes. If this is not done, in a different mode, there may be problems with sound (shutdown) when charging is activated on the USB-Dac.

Last edited by Shamanix; 03-05-2024 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:48 PM   #2499
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I tried this today, and while it did work once in a call the touch inputs on the screen are disabled. Why on earth is the Bluetooth app written this way.

I'm gonna go back to using car Bluetooth (Combox) to take calls, at least this way I can still have control of the screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:41 AM   #2500
moskito99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 525i E60 2004 (bought 2009

Im on A12 KSW with SD662 12.3" (the typical Mekede/Navifly). Usually I use ID7 Launcher but when using regular KSW Launcher I opened up BT by accident, since then I cannot get rid of the autostart of teh BT app. Very annoying.even closing all apps, then opening 20 or 30 other apps and using system for 30 minutes....after restart BT app again opened up...and again and again..I dont get rid of it..

Did I miss how to resolve this? Anything else I can do? I read something to open BT app from KSW launcher and then just go back from there to main screen of ksw launcher....will this resolve the issue? Anything else i can try ton ight when being back home?
THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 03:26 AM   #2501
moskito99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I tried this today, and while it did work once in a call the touch inputs on the screen are disabled. Why on earth is the Bluetooth app written this way.

I'm gonna go back to using car Bluetooth (Combox) to take calls, at least this way I can still have control of the screen.
But at least you can see the screen now, e.g. for google maps, and you can still end the call by pressing the phone button?!

Being "stuck" in the phone call screen was a major downside for me the whole time....only saw this "solution" by accident just now, because of my post about BT App is auto starting after each bootup and so far I could not get rid of that app autostarting..:-(
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 05:45 AM   #2502
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper, 2020 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskito99 View Post
But at least you can see the screen now, e.g. for google maps, and you can still end the call by pressing the phone button?!

Being "stuck" in the phone call screen was a major downside for me the whole time....only saw this "solution" by accident just now, because of my post about BT App is auto starting after each bootup and so far I could not get rid of that app autostarting..:-(
try clearing the cache and data of the KswPlauncher and CenterService(this under system applications) and restart HU.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:21 AM   #2503
moskito99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahel View Post
try clearing the cache and data of the KswPlauncher and CenterService(this under system applications) and restart HU.
Thanks a million times. I will try this right away! I am happy for everything that saves me from doing factory reset! :-)

Last edited by moskito99; 03-06-2024 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:57 PM   #2504
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moskito99 View Post
Im on A12 KSW with SD662 12.3" (the typical Mekede/Navifly). Usually I use ID7 Launcher but when using regular KSW Launcher I opened up BT by accident, since then I cannot get rid of the autostart of teh BT app. Very annoying.even closing all apps, then opening 20 or 30 other apps and using system for 30 minutes....after restart BT app again opened up...and again and again..I dont get rid of it..

Did I miss how to resolve this? Anything else I can do? I read something to open BT app from KSW launcher and then just go back from there to main screen of ksw launcher....will this resolve the issue? Anything else i can try ton ight when being back home?
THANKS!
check out my earlier post and see if it is similar behaviour.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=2478

My video & music apps were auto loading just before the HD icon was shown in the upper right tray area. It got resolved by reloading my factory config file.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:19 PM   #2505
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Guys, when I press the 'voice command' button on the steering wheel, I get both the car's assistant and the google assistant answering at the same time.
Is it possible to get only one of them? I want google assistant only?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 01:54 AM   #2506
moskito99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Guys, when I press the 'voice command' button on the steering wheel, I get both the car's assistant and the google assistant answering at the same time.
Is it possible to get only one of them? I want google assistant only?
I resolved this by coding the car. I removed Sa620 from vehicle order/Fahrzeugauftrag of my BMW e60. You might also need to code SVS nicht_aktiv in ECU CAPPL (or whatever ECU is relevant for car assisstant)

Last edited by moskito99; 03-07-2024 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 01:56 AM   #2507
moskito99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
check out my earlier post and see if it is similar behaviour.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=2478

My video & music apps were auto loading just before the HD icon was shown in the upper right tray area. It got resolved by reloading my factory config file.
It was not so easy, but worked now. Even factory reset STILL opened BT app after bootup...just like your example...before tried as well the original xml, delete data from apps and services etc...

Then when I did some call via BT, it was gone after next bootup and did not come back yet again :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 03:10 AM   #2508
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
conandrum you still didn't answer what you need my permission for. You showed me a video of some animation that I have nothing to do with, so I'm really confused. I do understand what you are asking me for.
Appreciate 0