BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-08-2023, 07:29 PM   #25213
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

I finally got to drive the Alfa. Quick little review.

First off, I submitted the inquiry for the Ocra (the mustard colored one) car on the site, but also said I want to see that one and all three blue ones because I want to look at the fit and finish on all of them, measure paint, etc. I get there and it's 20 minutes sitting there waiting for him to find the keys for one blue one. Dealership is a sad place. Literally no customers. I was the only one there. Dealership inside is like a Jeep dealer from the turn of the century. You can't have $230k Maserati MC20s outside with a dealership like this. Btw, they had 4 of them. Finally he gets the keys to one of the blue ones.

Filthy inside and out, months of leaves in the trunk/hood crevices - all the cars I'm looking at have DOM of 180+. Car had 80 miles on it and shoulder wear starting to show on the fronts...so I think this might have been the only tester on the lot. Also, a scratched rear driver door and the bumper isn't flush with fender on passenger side above headlight. Then notice driver side rocker panel isn't flush with fender either. I've seen the bumper issue on a few of them. From the pictures, the gold one appears to be perfect. My logic says if they're charging $3k or whatever it is for a tricoat, maybe even the Italians bother to get it right. In any event, the paint thickness appeared uniform, but with higher tolerances than the Germans. It was low 5s to low 6s mils, vs. a new BMW being between 4.5-4.8, in my experience. I'm sure sales guy thought I was nuts.

I said, I'm not buying this one but I'll take it for a drive. Finally, something positive. It's either the seating position or the wheel or the door panel height vs. windows...something makes you feel like you're in a tighter cockpit than the Bimmers for sure. Steering wheel is far superior...feels just perfect. The BMW wheels have gotten too thick with the grip design elements too bland. Seats are very good as well. Leather dash and door panels is nice to have.

On the road? I have not driven a car with a chassis feel or steering this good in at least 10 years. It had this delicate poise that I can't quite describe. Steering direct and light. I honestly don't know how they did it with electronically boosted steering. The exhaust note, to me, was far superior to BMWs. The slight overrun/popping on upshifts is amazing. You can definitely tell it's just the car talking and not the speakers giving you exhaust note. Paddle shifters are really cool. I actually wasn't sure if I'd like them and I was pleased by them. The one thing I was let down by a bit was the power. I was in manual and dynamic modes and it didn't feel quite like 500 horsepower. It definitely does rev super easy and builds almost all the way to the top, but at the 1st and 2nd gear speeds of the streets, it didn't feel like it had what's advertised. I tried to get a tiny bit of a third gear run, but it wasn't easy. I've been told that, outside of race mode, the car rips like crazy once you get into third but doesn't have it all in first and second.

Overall, the dealership experience was absolute crap. I've basically ordered my cars for 10 years, so perhaps I just forgot how shitty it is. But wow, what misery. The car is actually quite good. It does feel more like a sports car than a sedan. I'm not sure it has the power advertised or that I've become used to and I'm leery about the dealership/service aspects, but we're having a video walk around of the other two blue ones and the mustard one tomorrow. I'll report back, of course!
Appreciate 10
Arcades8234.00
GERMAN M34182.00
Humdizzle6138.00
GrussGott18207.50
stein_325i25175.00
NickyC17682.00
minn1914078.00
cotmfk2072.50
AlterZgo1537.50
      12-08-2023, 08:49 PM   #25214
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
I finally got to drive the Alfa. Quick little review.

First off, I submitted the inquiry for the Ocra (the mustard colored one) car on the site, but also said I want to see that one and all three blue ones because I want to look at the fit and finish on all of them, measure paint, etc. I get there and it's 20 minutes sitting there waiting for him to find the keys for one blue one. Dealership is a sad place. Literally no customers. I was the only one there. Dealership inside is like a Jeep dealer from the turn of the century. You can't have $230k Maserati MC20s outside with a dealership like this. Btw, they had 4 of them. Finally he gets the keys to one of the blue ones.

Filthy inside and out, months of leaves in the trunk/hood crevices - all the cars I'm looking at have DOM of 180+. Car had 80 miles on it and shoulder wear starting to show on the fronts...so I think this might have been the only tester on the lot. Also, a scratched rear driver door and the bumper isn't flush with fender on passenger side above headlight. Then notice driver side rocker panel isn't flush with fender either. I've seen the bumper issue on a few of them. From the pictures, the gold one appears to be perfect. My logic says if they're charging $3k or whatever it is for a tricoat, maybe even the Italians bother to get it right. In any event, the paint thickness appeared uniform, but with higher tolerances than the Germans. It was low 5s to low 6s mils, vs. a new BMW being between 4.5-4.8, in my experience. I'm sure sales guy thought I was nuts.

I said, I'm not buying this one but I'll take it for a drive. Finally, something positive. It's either the seating position or the wheel or the door panel height vs. windows...something makes you feel like you're in a tighter cockpit than the Bimmers for sure. Steering wheel is far superior...feels just perfect. The BMW wheels have gotten too thick with the grip design elements too bland. Seats are very good as well. Leather dash and door panels is nice to have.

On the road? I have not driven a car with a chassis feel or steering this good in at least 10 years. It had this delicate poise that I can't quite describe. Steering direct and light. I honestly don't know how they did it with electronically boosted steering. The exhaust note, to me, was far superior to BMWs. The slight overrun/popping on upshifts is amazing. You can definitely tell it's just the car talking and not the speakers giving you exhaust note. Paddle shifters are really cool. I actually wasn't sure if I'd like them and I was pleased by them. The one thing I was let down by a bit was the power. I was in manual and dynamic modes and it didn't feel quite like 500 horsepower. It definitely does rev super easy and builds almost all the way to the top, but at the 1st and 2nd gear speeds of the streets, it didn't feel like it had what's advertised. I tried to get a tiny bit of a third gear run, but it wasn't easy. I've been told that, outside of race mode, the car rips like crazy once you get into third but doesn't have it all in first and second.

Overall, the dealership experience was absolute crap. I've basically ordered my cars for 10 years, so perhaps I just forgot how shitty it is. But wow, what misery. The car is actually quite good. It does feel more like a sports car than a sedan. I'm not sure it has the power advertised or that I've become used to and I'm leery about the dealership/service aspects, but we're having a video walk around of the other two blue ones and the mustard one tomorrow. I'll report back, of course!
Which one did you go to? There aren't a lot of Alfa dealerships left a lot of them went under or was just removed.

The only one near me that I know of is on the 60, in Rowland Heights. Rusnak in Pasadena got rid of their Alfa dealership after dismal sales.

Guess they fixed the brakes via software update or something as it is brake by wire.
      12-08-2023, 09:36 PM   #25215
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Which one did you go to? There aren't a lot of Alfa dealerships left a lot of them went under or was just removed.

The only one near me that I know of is on the 60, in Rowland Heights. Rusnak in Pasadena got rid of their Alfa dealership after dismal sales.

Guess they fixed the brakes via software update or something as it is brake by wire.
Van Nuys. They have 12 cars in stock...and in colors I don't mind. Though I may have to go out of state to get a green one - the Verde Montreal is just perfect - better than IOMG. From the way the photos are taken and the dealer website layouts, it appears some of them are more upscale than others.

Realized right after I posted that I forgot about the brakes. I actually really like them at any kind of speed. But yes, super weird lurching along/last 5-10 ft before a light. I think it's a phenomenal car let down by the experience. I'm not usually one for the experience, but I've gotten so used to just ordering and signing and leaving that it bothered me. We'll see how the walk-arounds go tomorrow.
Appreciate 2
Arcades8234.00
minn1914078.00
      12-09-2023, 01:20 AM   #25216
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

ferrari definitely had some input on the steering. they also do very light, tight ratio, racks. but somehow it still works in terms of telling you exactly what the wheels and chassis are doing.

i see you've had m-dct, and the zf8 in the g80. how would you compare alfa's version of the zf?

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 09:12 AM   #25217
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
ferrari definitely had some input on the steering. they also do very light, tight ratio, racks. but somehow it still works in terms of telling you exactly what the wheels and chassis are doing.

i see you've had m-dct, and the zf8 in the g80. how would you compare alfa's version of the zf?
Felt as quick as BMWs DCT, definitely quicker than their ZF, but without the clunks of the DCT. I think in a track setting that’s better. I think for your personal car you want to drive around in and enjoy, the clunks are fun.
Appreciate 3
Humdizzle6138.00
NickyC17682.00
minn1914078.00
      12-09-2023, 02:18 PM   #25218
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Felt as quick as BMWs DCT, definitely quicker than their ZF, but without the clunks of the DCT. I think in a track setting that’s better. I think for your personal car you want to drive around in and enjoy, the clunks are fun.
definitely agree on the fun clunks!

My 2015 F83, which was right after they were released, had the insane software so that car was damn scary to drive and the clunks were off the charts under full throttle and I found it super rewarding to drive albeit nowhere near as fun as the E9x which remains the most soulful car I've owned.
Appreciate 3
pbar1400.00
NickyC17682.00
minn1914078.00
      12-09-2023, 04:10 PM   #25219
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Salesman was a no-show for the walk-around. Go figure. I don't think I'll bother him for a minute. He didn't know much about the car or the brand. I'll follow-up late next week and watch what they do with the prices. If the GSM calls/emails me, as they usually do, I'll rip into him about the whole thing. If Alfa Romeo wants to know part of why they didn't hit the 400k+ sales they predicted on their cars in the US (it's around 100k I think), they should look to the terrible dealer experience.
Appreciate 4
GrussGott18207.50
minn1914078.00
NickyC17682.00
      12-10-2023, 06:35 AM   #25220
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Got a trick new trailer… hydraulic suspension that lets you lower the bed to the ground. Just used it for a 5 hour each-way trip to VIR, which is an awesome track. (On-track photo is from a recent trip to Summit Point.) Fugly M3 ‘s new M2 was at the track… they must have been doing some pre-delivery testing or something? (P.s. you’re going to need to change your username to Señor M2 or something.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Multimodal; 12-10-2023 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 8
minn1914078.00
stein_325i25175.00
NickyC17682.00
Arcades8234.00
cotmfk2072.50
irunalot1518.00
GrussGott18207.50
      12-10-2023, 10:17 AM   #25221
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimodal View Post
Got a trick new trailer… hydraulic suspension that lets you lower the bed to the ground. Just used it for a 5 hour each-way trip to VIR, which is an awesome track. (On-track photo is from a recent trip to Summit Point.) Fugly M3 ‘s new M2 was at the track… they must have been doing some pre-delivery testing or something? (P.s. you’re going to need to change your username to Señor M2 or something.)
Nice setup! Perhaps you haven’t followed everything, but I’m seriously looking at the Giulia QV…if I can get past the horrible dealer interactions!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 12:32 PM   #25222
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Looking but hating the dealer experience. You still have an M2 on order, right? Are you leaning towards the Giulia QV?

Has the Alfa changed over the years? Why buy new vs. used?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 02:24 PM   #25223
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimodal View Post
Looking but hating the dealer experience. You still have an M2 on order, right? Are you leaning towards the Giulia QV?

Has the Alfa changed over the years? Why buy new vs. used?
Definitely looking and leaning but, yes, M2 stilll on order. Apparently the post-20 models are quite reliable and somehow they got JD Power top spot earlier this year. But, biggest reason is that they are advertising new ones at 15-18k off to start. So, I’d be shooting for like 20-25k off! A QV at 60k before tax would be the ticket for sure.
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2072.50
GrussGott18207.50
      12-10-2023, 03:22 PM   #25224
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Definitely looking and leaning but, yes, M2 stilll on order. Apparently the post-20 models are quite reliable and somehow they got JD Power top spot earlier this year. But, biggest reason is that they are advertising new ones at 15-18k off to start. So, I’d be shooting for like 20-25k off! A QV at 60k before tax would be the ticket for sure.
I would try to contact the people at Rowland Heights too. The place is newer and may respond faster if they realize the people you are contacting aren't really being all that responsive. Any Alfa dealer would do if they realize you want to buy I think.

Alfa Romeo Of Puente Hills
      12-10-2023, 03:44 PM   #25225
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Agree with Arcades, try out another dealer. The Guilia QV is an end of an era car, it is truly full of soul and brimming with feedback and there won't be another sports sedan like it. On a great backroad, the car really is just excellent. My friend has had a Stelvio QV for a few years and only had an issue with some sensor failure, but even as an SUV its a fantastic vehicle and just unlike anything from the Germans.
Appreciate 3
GERMAN M34182.00
swagon13572.00
cotmfk2072.50
      12-10-2023, 04:57 PM   #25226
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I would try to contact the people at Rowland Heights too. The place is newer and may respond faster if they realize the people you are contacting aren't really being all that responsive. Any Alfa dealer would do if they realize you want to buy I think.

Alfa Romeo Of Puente Hills
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Agree with Arcades, try out another dealer. The Guilia QV is an end of an era car, it is truly full of soul and brimming with feedback and there won't be another sports sedan like it. On a great backroad, the car really is just excellent. My friend has had a Stelvio QV for a few years and only had an issue with some sensor failure, but even as an SUV its a fantastic vehicle and just unlike anything from the Germans.
Waiting to hear back from Puente Hills. They only have one car. It’s also heavily discounted and not in the color I prefer. Aside from those two dealers, nothing left in LA area.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2072.50
      12-10-2023, 06:22 PM   #25227
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Waiting to hear back from Puente Hills. They only have one car. It’s also heavily discounted and not in the color I prefer. Aside from those two dealers, nothing left in LA area.
Jeebus that is so sad lol.

Not even the GSM is responding?
      12-10-2023, 09:55 PM   #25228
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Jeebus that is so sad lol.

Not even the GSM is responding?
Their reply went to junk…but I found it and then got to talk to the guy late this afternoon. Eased most of my concerns/questions. Going to try to look at it tomorrow if I can get down there. Has 96 miles on it which I’m not keen about.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8234.00
      12-11-2023, 10:04 AM   #25229
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Nice to see something good coming out of Munich for once. Apparently the Z4 M40i is receiving a manual transmission as well as upgrades in the handling and feedback department. Not the prettiest Z4, but also not a big-grilled mess. Even thought its 5-years too late, with this being most likely the last Z4, nice to see it get a decent send off. Now if only they could make an M Roadster with a naturally aspirated engine...

2024 BMW Z4 Manual Is a Clutch Addition

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  301.2 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  304.3 KB
Appreciate 9
swagon13572.00
cotmfk2072.50
minn1914078.00
GERMAN M34182.00
Arcades8234.00
NickyC17682.00
clutchdj1909.00
GrussGott18207.50
      12-11-2023, 10:15 AM   #25230
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Nice to see something good coming out of Munich for once. Apparently the Z4 M40i is receiving a manual transmission as well as upgrades in the handling and feedback department. Not the prettiest Z4, but also not a big-grilled mess. Even thought its 5-years too late, with this being most likely the last Z4, nice to see it get a decent send off. Now if only they could make an M Roadster with a naturally aspirated engine...

2024 BMW Z4 Manual Is a Clutch Addition

Attachment 3340754
Attachment 3340753
Toyota already built it and shoved it into the Supra. Might as well.

To be honest I’d take the Z4 over the Supra for styling purposes.
cotmfk2072.50
NickyC17682.00
The_Werm214.00
      12-11-2023, 10:38 AM   #25231
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Toyota already built it and shoved it into the Supra. Might as well.

To be honest I’d take the Z4 over the Supra for styling purposes.
I think I read somewhere that Toyota did a better job of turning the suspension than the BMW version? Probably another focus group was involved... "sports car is too uncomfortable for doing the shopping"
Appreciate 3
minn1914078.00
Arcades8234.00
GrussGott18207.50
      12-11-2023, 03:48 PM   #25232
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
I think I read somewhere that Toyota did a better job of turning the suspension than the BMW version? Probably another focus group was involved... "sports car is too uncomfortable for doing the shopping"
It's been more or less proven at this point that the Supra is better setup by Toyota than BMW did with the Z4. Toyota engineers knows what they are doing and considering how their motorsports tends to do (aka beating out their German competition most of the time) with less, I'd say I'm not surprised by it. Whether or not BMW is trying to turn the Z4 into something slightly different we will see.
stein_325i25175.00
minn1914078.00
      12-11-2023, 05:26 PM   #25233
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Well, Arcades, went to Puente Hills to test drive the only one they had. Their black is a much heavier flake/sparklier than BMWs BSM and very nice. Car nearly checked out until I saw the underside of the Active Aero splitter was scuffed. $3k Made in Italy Sparco CF part plus getting it on! Then, the car wouldn't start and when it did, it was a limp home mode test drive! Car also had 100 miles on it, so the discount will have to be much more than the advertised $17k.
Appreciate 3
Arcades8234.00
minn1914078.00
GrussGott18207.50
      12-11-2023, 06:01 PM   #25234
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, Arcades, went to Puente Hills to test drive the only one they had. Their black is a much heavier flake/sparklier than BMWs BSM and very nice. Car nearly checked out until I saw the underside of the Active Aero splitter was scuffed. $3k Made in Italy Sparco CF part plus getting it on! Then, the car wouldn't start and when it did, it was a limp home mode test drive! Car also had 100 miles on it, so the discount will have to be much more than the advertised $17k.
That's what I expect from Alfa lol.

I'd be surprised if the car hasn't been driven in a few months and they just had no idea. I'm sure if you talk to them and the sales manager they probably would do something and hey, if you mention your experience with Van Nuys and how far you need to drive, maybe they would do something for you.

End of the day though, it is still your call. My issue with Alfa atm (which I mentioned before I believe) is the lack of dealership support. For an Italian brand, that is VERY... as the young kids would say, sus. I'm not sure if you can take the car to a Maserati place to get it taken care of though.
minn1914078.00