F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe (F36) Official Thread - Specs, Wallpapers, Photos, Videos
Extreme Powerhouse

02-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #375
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg View Post
Is it me, or is it just because she's the product manager of a hot new BMW product....
....or is she just hot?
She's not that hot.

So, I've been looking at pictures of this car for a couple weeks now. I've decide it's the coolest new BMW model in years. I want one.
      02-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #376
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

The cost to produce this car is likely pennies (figuratively speaking)

its a 3 series with a mix of a 4 series body with a hatch. it probably took nearly nothign to develop in terms of incremental costs.

They're damn right for building it, and would have been stupid if they didn't. They'll sell plenty of 3s, and plenty of 4s. and to be honest I dont think they give a shit which. In fact theres probably a bit more margin on the 4s as its gonna be marked up in price for like zero added costs in development and in equipment.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #377
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai
The cost to produce this car is likely pennies (figuratively speaking)

its a 3 series with a mix of a 4 series body with a hatch. it probably took nearly nothign to develop in terms of incremental costs.

They're damn right for building it, and would have been stupid if they didn't. They'll sell plenty of 3s, and plenty of 4s. and to be honest I dont think they give a shit which. In fact theres probably a bit more margin on the 4s as its gonna be marked up in price for like zero added costs in development and in equipment.
If bmw has time to make a 2 series active tourer (aka 2 minivan)...this GC is nothing lol
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #378
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Your logic doesn't fly in the real world, unfortunately, since the notion of stigma plays a big role in buying choices. There is the perception of cut-rate or quirkiness attached to hatchbacks in the US, so it's really hard to build a business case to replace a bread and butter product that is not a hatchback with one that is. It's just the way it is.

By the way, there is one way in which the hatchback function does impact driving experience. You may not have seen the discussion about it (I think it was earlier in this thread, but not sure), but indeed the rear window area as experienced from within the cabin for the F36 is noticeably smaller than the F30. This could turn away some buyers as well.
Well, I wouldn't be caught dead in a hatchback yet I can't wait to trade in my F30 for a new F36.

How do you explain that?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:42 AM   #379
Oliver1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post

Well, I wouldn't be caught dead in a hatchback yet I can't wait to trade in my F30 for a new F36.

How do you explain that?
Are you trading because you need a hatchback type car or because the 4gt LOOKS better than the sedan? I have no need for a hatchback but unfortunately, you can't always get exactly what you want and have to decide if the plusses outnumber the minuses.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #380
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post

How do you explain that?
Simple: you are sufficiently open-minded. Not everyone who drives a luxury sedan will reject a hatchback, but it is likely that it would turn more away than it would draw in. And that's not good for sales, so it's not going to make for good business. Offering both is the better strategy which is probably why they chose that route.

Another point about the F36 - as it is packaged now the rear seat is not as suited for three passengers as the F30. This is only an issue for a small percentage of people of course. And BMW could probably put a proper three place seat in there to address this if they wished.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #381
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel;*****255
Simple: you are sufficiently open-minded. Not everyone who drives a luxury sedan will reject a hatchback, but it is likely that it would turn more away than it would draw in. And that's not good for sales, so it's not going to make for good business. Offering both is the better strategy which is probably why they chose that route.

Another point about the F36 - as it is packaged now the rear seat is not as suited for three passengers as the F30. This is only an issue for a small percentage of people of course. And BMW could probably put a proper three place seat in there to address this if they wished.
I guess my point is if the F30 looked exactly as it does today except instead of a traditional trunk it had an extended version that included the rear glass, would it sell any less units?

If a sedan doesn't look like a hatchback, it's not a hatchback. I look at the Gran Coupe as a sport sedan with a unique trunk mechanism that is more convenient, nothing else. When on the open road, I suspect everyone else will too.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #382
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton;*****422
I guess my point is if the F30 looked exactly as it does today except instead of a traditional trunk it had an extended version that included the rear glass, would it sell any less units?
In case that was not strictly rhetorical, my opinion is "Yes". The reason I think so is for reasons already stated - connotations associated with the form factor. It is very similar to how a convertible could not generally replace a coupe in a product lineup even if it performed the same and had a hard top.

Furthermore the hatchback likely increases the cost which is also not good for competing against other products where that cost is not being incurred.

Quote:
If a sedan doesn't look like a hatchback, it's not a hatchback. I look at the Gran Coupe as a sport sedan with a unique trunk mechanism that is more convenient, nothing else. When on the open road, I suspect everyone else will too.
Observers not in the know will not be aware of the fact its a hatchback, agree. Prospective buyers and shoppers will obviously learn this early on and factor it into the decision-making process.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #383
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel;*****477
In case that was not strictly rhetorical, my opinion is "Yes". The reason I think so is for reasons already stated - connotations associated with the form factor. It is very similar to how a convertible could not generally replace a coupe in a product lineup even if it performed the same and had a hard top.

Furthermore the hatchback likely increases the cost which is also not good for competing against other products where that cost is not being incurred.

Observers not in the know will not be aware of the fact its a hatchback, agree. Prospective buyers and shoppers will obviously learn this early on and factor it into the decision-making process.
Well, if that's the case it just makes the car more exclusive and I'm good with that too.

Love my F30, but the F36 is just too hot to pass up. If you're dating Scarlett Johansson and Kate Upton is just throwing herself at you, it's hard to say no.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #384
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel;*****477

Well, if that's the case it just makes the car more exclusive and I'm good with that too.

Love my F30, but the F36 is just too hot to pass up. If you're dating Scarlett Johansson and Kate Upton is just throwing herself at you, it's hard to say no.
"It's hard to say no" lol. The answer would either be "YES"or "Please"

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #385
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

Even if there's still a bit of boot on the grancoupe, it still is a hatchback and exposes the occupants to wind when you open the cargo door.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #386
Oliver1
Private First Class
Rep

Don't forget about the cold, rain, blowing snow, creaking, water leaks, road noise, items in the back rattling around.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #387
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Jason

Please when you get a chance, advise on:

- when can orders be made
- availability of mperformance parts, specifically PPK and MPE (i am sure LSD will be a popular one too)

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:19 AM   #388
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
This was the car I've been waiting for! I'm regularly (at least once a week) loading big archery bags and as they are long and bulky, most mid-size sedans simply will not take them through the small boot opening. This one will The fact that it looks a bit sleeker and sportier than the 3-series is a bonus.

Found out about it last Thursday and placed my order on Friday. My dealer contact me on Saturday and said I should have it in May
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #389
Oliver1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
This was the car I've been waiting for! I'm regularly (at least once a week) loading big archery bags and as they are long and bulky, most mid-size sedans simply will not take them through the small boot opening. This one will The fact that it looks a bit sleeker and sportier than the 3-series is a bonus.

Found out about it last Thursday and placed my order on Friday. My dealer contact me on Saturday and said I should have it in May
Just make sure it is an F36 and not an F34.They are both very similar. World premiere isn't until March in Geneva, and in April for the US. Market launch isn't until early summer which would be July putting the start of production in late May early June. Being in Australia and a season ahead of the Northern Hemisphere, it could be you are getting the cars before everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #390
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Jason

Please when you get a chance, advise on:

- when can orders be made
- availability of mperformance parts, specifically PPK and MPE (i am sure LSD will be a popular one too)

Thanks
Forum sponsor has already indicated they are accepting orders.

You should be good on the MPE and PPK as nothing about the GC mechanically differs that would affect those parts.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #391
BimmerQuest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35ix M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Any link to information about delivery dates?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #392
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerQuest View Post
Any link to information about delivery dates?
Asking questions here would be a better idea.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907026

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #393
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post

You should be good on the MPE and PPK as nothing about the GC mechanically differs that would affect those parts.
Thanks looks like its May delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post

Thanks for this update. I will be talking to my dealer this week, May works very well for me. 435i GC in EBII please

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #394
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver1 View Post
Just make sure it is an F36 and not an F34
haha yes that would have been a bad mistake it's definitely the F36 because my salesman says pricing and options aren't available yet. the dealer apparently already has one on order for march build may delivery, and if the pricing and options become available before that one locks in then it will be mine!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #395
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver1 View Post
Just make sure it is an F36 and not an F34
haha yes that would have been a bad mistake it's definitely the F36 because my salesman says pricing and options aren't available yet. the dealer apparently already has one on order for march build may delivery, and if the pricing and options become available before that one locks in then it will be mine!
Pricing and options should be very similar to the 435i Coupe. Just noticed you are in Australia so you are likely to get yours earlier if you are getting it in May.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #396
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Can someone gran coupe this 4 series, please:

A lot more photos to choose from here
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866546
Attached Images

Last edited by 300hp; 02-09-2014 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0