E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alcantara/Leather

02-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #23
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
That's the problem, people expect leather on a 330i, so it's an opportunity for the dealers to low ball you with trade in offers.

I know I saved £1k by not specifying the leather upfront, but I've had dealers argue that glasses guide values included leather (which is bollocks) and then offer £1.5k below book because my car doesn't have it.

Daft really since I do honestly prefer Alcantara.
I had a dealer only offer £500 less because of having no leather. Maybe depends on what other spec the car has - also leather is only about £1200 to aftermarket so you could always do that a year or so before selling.
      02-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #24
jimmy-s3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 ALPINA D3 Montego blue

How much would you pay for a set of m sport alcantara seats and door cards?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #25
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

Each time it comes to trade in time, I have the same dilemma whether to spec leather.

My dealer says that it knocks about £1000 off the trade in value, which seems fair as I didn’t pay the extra at purchase. It therefore comes down to personal choice and I prefer the grip of the alcantara fabric and not freezing my butt in winter.

As importantly, the wife doesn’t like the leather, so for me it’s a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #26
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
BTW: With Alcantara you need to have one of those sticky-lint-rollers to hand all the time to get the pesky bits of fluff off them!
I've never had to use one, it doesn't seem to attract fluff.

I like the Alcantara seats but they don't make the interior look as classy as leather and a higher engined car with them will be very hard to sell.
      02-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #27
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I've never had to use one, it doesn't seem to attract fluff.

I like the Alcantara seats but they don't make the interior look as classy as leather and a higher engined car with them will be very hard to sell.
Leather interiors look great when you walk past a car and glance inside. You think, oh, cool. But I actually prefer the M Sport aclantara seats, on balance, especially when you take into account the comfort factor.

Think you're right in saying that you could have more of a problem shifting a big engined car without leather. On teh other hand, see this thread, the guy only got £900 off the approved used list price, on a 335i, without leather, in today's market:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226719
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #28
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Does Alcantara 'breathe' like leather then as I have always thought that in warm weather (car fitted with A/C), leather is cooler?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #29
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Does Alcantara 'breathe' like leather then as I have always thought that in warm weather (car fitted with A/C), leather is cooler?
What animal does Alcantara come from?
      02-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #30
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
What animal does Alcantara come from?

Alcantara upholstery:
Alcantara material, though man-made, has the look and feel of suede and stands up well to severe use.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #31
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
I had alcantara in my e46 M Sport and I have leather in my e90 M Sport.

I like both, on balance I think I prefer leather. I couldn't have had the Individual Hi-Fi if I had gone for alcantara, so that helped me choose leather this time.

Very hard choice.
      02-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #32
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Leather doesn't / can't breath like a fabric (alcantara). It will absorb moisture slowly, but not as quick as a fabric.

Certainly not enough to stop sweating. The backs of my shirts are often sweaty in summer on leather even with AC on full, especially on shorter journeys if you got in the car when the seat was red hot.

Another plus point for fabric seats!

Only force vented leather seats can stop that (not an option on 3 series!)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #33
Exotica
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: People Mad
Location: The British Empire. Where The Sun Never Sets On Us.

Good point about the sweating , i also suffered from that.

I have cloth in my 1992 E36 and it doesnt look a day old. If they chuck in leather free when i buy then i will take it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #34
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Oh well, each to their own but no sweating here I must say.

I like leather as a natural product and find it much easier to keep clean and like the smell. Fetish wtf.

The quality of the leather does vary noticeably from manufacturer to manufacturer, put it that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #35
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I like leather as a natural product and find it much easier to keep clean and like the smell. Fetish wtf.

The quality of the leather does vary noticeably from manufacturer to manufacturer, put it that way.
Helen, you can't beat a bit of dead cow skin to sit on.
      02-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #36
Exotica
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:

How does BMW compare?

Surely cows are cows . I know Rolls Royce use Bull hide, maybe the males have better skin
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #37
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotica View Post
How does BMW compare?

Surely cows are cows . I know Rolls Royce use Bull hide, maybe the males have better skin
You would be surprised, even the difference from standard Dakota leather to the leather in an M3 is quite marked. I think it's "Nappa" in the M3.
      02-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #38
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Helen, you can't beat a bit of dead cow skin to sit on.
Indeed William, and no doubt one day I will be a 'dead cow'........better than being a live BULLOCK

Quote:
How does BMW compare?

Sure you do know there's a difference Mr Exotica lol but to humour.........when one purchases a saddles for a horse, one should always buy British made saddles as the hide is considered to be superior. Hides vary from different animals around the world, the thickness of the cut, the tanning process and the materials used for stitching and the amount of folds and depth of folds used in making car seats and interiors.

Lets just say in my experience and ownership of cars with leather seats I'd say Porsche, Volvo, BMW. Doesn't mean BMW isn't good quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #39
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Leather in a non m sport car is £1215, whereas in an m sport car it is £1050,

So by that estimate the alcantara seats cost £165! Hmmm... I'm sure they'd be more that that if they were a cost option!

BTW: With Alcantara you need to have one of those sticky-lint-rollers to hand all the time to get the pesky bits of fluff off them!
I have alcantara on mine and never had any issues with fluff. Nearly 4 years old and still looks like new.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #40
Exotica
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Indeed William, and no doubt one day I will be a 'dead cow'........better than being a live BULLOCK

Sure you do know there's a difference Mr Exotica lol but to humour.........when one purchases a saddles for a horse, one should always buy British made saddles as the hide is considered to be superior. Hides vary from different animals around the world, the thickness of the cut, the tanning process and the materials used for stitching and the amount of folds and depth of folds used in making car seats and interiors.

Lets just say in my experience and ownership of cars with leather seats I'd say Porsche, Volvo, BMW. Doesn't mean BMW isn't good quality.
Just call me Anthony So are you saying BMW falls behind Volvo?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #41
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
You would be surprised, even the difference from standard Dakota leather to the leather in an M3 is quite marked. I think it's "Nappa" in the M3.
The dakota leather, IMO, is has a coarse surface grain and is quite thick and firm and doesn't mark or scratch with jeans studs etc. It is the most hardwaring of any leather in any car i've had by a long way. In my 3yr old 330i the leather is like new. A quick wipe with BMW leather cleaner/moisturiser softens and restores the satin finish like new every few months.

The Novillo (nappa / M3) leather is softer and has a very smooth surface, which looks nice, but marks and scratches much more easily.

Just look in a 12month old audi with nappa leather and see how saggy and creased the seat bolsters are.

Don't even mention ford / vauxhall / jap cars whose leather seems to be shaved off shiny PVC cows in paper thin strips!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #42
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:

Firend of mine has an Audi A4, think it's a 2001 plate, and the leather in her car is like granite!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #43
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just call me Anthony So are you saying BMW falls behind Volvo?
Well Anthony ........no I'm not saying that BMW fall behind Volvo just that the leather in both my S60's felt thicker, that said, Volvo seats are probably the best out there for comfort. After virtually the same time of ownership and mileage on both marques, the stitching appeared to be holding up that bit better than the BMW not that the stitching had split or anything on the beemers............and no, I'm no skinny sod, but neither am I that heavy lol.

No idea whether Volvo provide the same 'quality' on all the S60 range or just the higher specced, bigger engine ones as opposed to BMW that probably use the same good quality whatever the engine size/spec?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #44
Exotica
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Thank you , you know your leather
Appreciate 0