THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Gassing Up Trouble

11-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #23
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Ok.. so the auto shut off is not inhibited by putting the nozzle in a way that it is not intended to be? I should add I've had this problem too but I've sucked it up and just kept on clicking until it held.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #24
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
Ok.. so the auto shut off is not inhibited by putting the nozzle in a way that it is not intended to be? I should add I've had this problem too but I've sucked it up and just kept on clicking until it held.
The auto shut off works just fine this way. I have been fueling up for the past three years this way.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #25
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

Interesting. I have no issue with filling up. I usually hold the pump with my hand but I've always done that
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #26
Mullins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB

I was filling up at my usual cheveron last week, and this time around I could not for the life of me get it to lock on and stay pumping. The auto shutoff would kick it after a few seconds over and over. Holding it gangster style seemed to work though. Not sure what is preventing it from working the normal way this time around. Will have to keep track of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #27
MrNatural88
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix

Could This Have Something To Do With This??

Been having this problem on and off since I got my 228ix about 2 months ago. Attacking the filler neck from a steep angle works for me usually. But maybe it's just luck. I've assumed this has something to do with back pressure or something like that not being right. But I'm not that well versed in this stuff to make that determination.

I have however noticed this little circular rubber diaphragm just to the rear of the filler neck. See attached picture. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WTF THIS THING IS FOR?? I've asked several people including several working at gas stations. No one knows. No one has ever seen one before. While I'd just like to know what it is, I was wondering if this could somehow cause the pump shut-off problem.

Somebody. Enlighten me. Please!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #28
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
I've had trouble filling up my new M235i with gas. Not sure what all the other states have but in CA, gas pumps have the big vapor recovery accordion boot that seals over the filler pipe.

At at least 3 different-brand gas stations in the LA area, I've not been able to pump more than about a gallon before the pump auto-shutoff clicks off. Even when I know It'll take 7-10 gallons.

I've tried inserting the nozzle in deep or shallow. No change. It happens whether I use my hand to hold the pump trigger down or use the clip on the pump handle to hold it open. Shuts off after only a second or two. I've also tried tipping the handle down after inserting.

I've been pumping gas for a couple decades now and have never had this happen with my other cars at the exact same pumps. Takes me about 10 minutes to fill my tank as I jack around with this and it's too difficult to know when it's really full due to this.

Any ideas?
Yes. Simply rotate the gas pump nozzle about 45 degrees counter-clockwise after inserting into the fill opening. My salesman gave me that tip the day I bought the car. Works for me. If I forget, the nozzle shuts off every time.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser[/SIZE]
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #29
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Based on what I've read here the issue seems to be with the car (and maybe the goofy nozzles used here in CA). My 228i hasn't arrived yet, but I have never had this problem with my MINI and I use Shell gas exclusively. Gangsta style, tipping the nozzle, depressing the handle halfway, etc. are fine but the question is, what's causing the problem that requires these solutions which are all a PITA?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #30
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Has this same issue with my 328i f30 in California last year.

Fuel fill valve was broken replaced under warranty during first oil change. So yeah its not the vapor recovery.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #31
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
Has this same issue with my 328i f30 in California last year.

Fuel fill valve was broken replaced under warranty during first oil change. So yeah its not the vapor recovery.
I have had this on mine since new and loaner vehicles. I do not recall having the problem while in Europe though. Not very conclusive.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #32
grant5321
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i mineral white

My moms 7 series actually has the same problem and our gas pumps in Florida don't have those covers on them. I'm just beginning to suspect it's a common problem with bmw's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
I've had trouble filling up my new M235i with gas. Not sure what all the other states have but in CA, gas pumps have the big vapor recovery accordion boot that seals over the filler pipe.

At at least 3 different-brand gas stations in the LA area, I've not been able to pump more than about a gallon before the pump auto-shutoff clicks off. Even when I know It'll take 7-10 gallons.

I've tried inserting the nozzle in deep or shallow. No change. It happens whether I use my hand to hold the pump trigger down or use the clip on the pump handle to hold it open. Shuts off after only a second or two. I've also tried tipping the handle down after inserting.

I've been pumping gas for a couple decades now and have never had this happen with my other cars at the exact same pumps. Takes me about 10 minutes to fill my tank as I jack around with this and it's too difficult to know when it's really full due to this.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #33
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
It auto shuts off... it's just that this way, it does so at the right time, instead of stopping at quarter full and every ten seconds.
What he said.

Now it works like other cars and auto-shuts off when full. If you leave the trigger pointing downwards like with other cars, it shuts off WAY before it's full.

BTW…by doing it this way I'm getting a full tank, don't have to babysit the handle and have had zero overfills with gas spilling out.

This won't be ideal if I have to gas up in the rain at some hillbilly station without a covered area, as that would soak my trunk interior. But it's working great for me so far.
Appreciate 0