BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #23
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

swim in ur paint!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I do.
ummm... have my bathing suit on plus floaties..can I swim in ur paint??
nice car man!
      05-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #24
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesales305 View Post
nice car man!
Agreed! FWIW.

How much more were these when new? I am thinking a couple grand, but maybe it was more? If it was a lot more, that changes things.

I'm thinking if it cost XXXX over a comparable 135i, then on the used market today it shouldn't be more than that same XXXX amount, at best, and more like 50% of that in reality, typically.

It's also true dealers will get what they can get, and will try for a high amount and then of course come down eventually if something doesn't sell. I saw tons of this just looking for my car when it was newer.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #25
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

Wow, this got a lot of responses!

Personally I'm just looking for the best 135i can get for under 20k. An IS was in the realm when I first started but I didn't realize they were so rare and getting more expensive. Plus they are even harder to find with a real 6MT

Plus with 300hp and tq its not like I'll be missing the extra power, or plan on modding my eventual 135i in the engine department at all.

We'll see how the search goes! And MGM, that car is... amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #26
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunder View Post
Wow, this got a lot of responses!

Personally I'm just looking for the best 135i can get for under 20k. An IS was in the realm when I first started but I didn't realize they were so rare and getting more expensive. Plus they are even harder to find with a real 6MT

Plus with 300hp and tq its not like I'll be missing the extra power, or plan on modding my eventual 135i in the engine department at all.

We'll see how the search goes! And MGM, that car is... amazing.
If you happen to find a pre-02/2012 N55 build, you can get the PPK/is tune flashed for free. You won't need the PPK2's extra cooling, depending on your car usage and location. Stock muffler can be gutted out (and still retain the factory valve), resonator deleted just like the PE y-pipe, and then you've got a bargain 135is.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

While the tune increases the power a nominal amount, it's the power delivery which makes it worth while. Being a factory tune, the PPK should have been the base software for all the 135i's. If BMW wanted something for a last hurrah, they could have tweaked the PPK a bit more which would only be for the 135is cars to make it really an exclusive model versus being able to buy all the parts to get the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #28
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
While the tune increases the power a nominal amount, it's the power delivery which makes it worth while. Being a factory tune, the PPK should have been the base software for all the 135i's. If BMW wanted something for a last hurrah, they could have tweaked the PPK a bit more which would only be for the 135is cars to make it really an exclusive model versus being able to buy all the parts to get the same thing.
Yeah, they've done a bit more R&D on the E92 335is.

Haven't really noticed any better power delivery with PPK.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #29
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
If you happen to find a pre-02/2012 N55 build, you can get the PPK/is tune flashed for free. You won't need the PPK2's extra cooling, depending on your car usage and location. Stock muffler can be gutted out (and still retain the factory valve), resonator deleted just like the PE y-pipe, and then you've got a bargain 135is.
^^This^^

Or if you can't code or know someone who can code for you for free you can get one of our forum coders to flash PPK for much cheaper than the dealer will charge.
      05-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #30
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Yeah, or get an MHD stage 1 and get an arguably better tune. 313 wheels go for about $1100 for a refurbished set, and the PE is around $700 before install.

I'm not saying the 135is isn't cool, and it seemed an ok deal when purchased new, but the price difference on the used market doesn't make any sense to me, outside of "exclusivity."
Appreciate 1
Esteban44806.00
      05-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #31
beattiecj
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

I think they are way overhyped... sadly a lot of great BMW models fall into this category with certain dealers buying up the desired models and selling as a premium collector item or an article comes out hyping the next great collector car, it's almost like bitcoin super hyped for a few people to pump and dump...

To me a car enthusiast is enjoying a car and building it to what you want it to be. I enjoy finding a good performance car adding a few reasonable mods and being able to drive the car and enjoy every dam mile I put on it.

Get a BMW PPK, the IS wheels and a BMW perf exhaust if that is what you want, I don't see any other major difference between a regular 135i Msport.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #32
duder13
Captain
Rep

It's surprising that BMW didn't put the M Performance suspension on the 135is. That would make it more compelling.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 10:07 PM   #33
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is #319/586

I love my IS and it does have a few cool little things about it that would be hard to replicate without spending a lot of money on like the blue stitching. Of all cars I’ve ever had I’ve kept this one the longest and don’t have any intention of selling it anytime soon. Mine is fully optioned and has low miles. However if someone were to offer me anything close to 30k for it I couldn’t drop it off at their door fast enough. 34k seems crazy to me I guess I should be happy my resale value might hold a little better than a standard 135 but I’m just being honest here.
Appreciate 1
duder13768.00
      05-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #34
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Here's a guess on what is going to happen in the future; regular 135i cars have become so cheap that they are going to be bought up by kids and other people who will trash them and turn most of them into nothing more than "used cars."

The 135is does have an air of exclusivity to it, given the small number that were made. If the buyers of these cars take care of them and don't run them into the ground, I think it is very likely that a good condition relatively low mileage 135is will sell for substantially more years hence than most 135i cars will sell for. Some of it will be the name and the pedigree, and some of it will be due to the fact that the cars are taken care of and treated like garage queens.

As an example that is not wholly pertinent, you can't give a regular 996 Porsche 911 away, but the turbos are appreciating.
      05-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #35
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I have the blue stitched leather. Try pricing it out. Eek!
Were you charged extra for the blue stitching? If so, curious as to how much, if you wouldn't mind sharing.
It was the same price as any of the leather options.

Have a small stain on drivers seat back. Priced out replacement seat back cover.......I can live with the small stain.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #36
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Here's a guess on what is going to happen in the future; regular 135i cars have become so cheap that they are going to be bought up by kids and other people who will trash them and turn most of them into nothing more than "used cars."

The 135is does have an air of exclusivity to it, given the small number that were made. If the buyers of these cars take care of them and don't run them into the ground, I think it is very likely that a good condition relatively low mileage 135is will sell for substantially more years hence than most 135i cars will sell for. Some of it will be the name and the pedigree, and some of it will be due to the fact that the cars are taken care of and treated like garage queens.

As an example that is not wholly pertinent, you can't give a regular 996 Porsche 911 away, but the turbos are appreciating.
Plus, not many people know that the 135iS even exists. Lots know about the 1M, but not many know about the 135iS...

I will get slaughtered for this, but, I actually like the 996. It's funky-looking (the 1'ers are, too), balanced (as much as a rear-engined car can be), well-engineered (chassis, not engine lol) car, that I'd love to own someday alongside my car.
      05-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #37
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

!!

Quote:

I disagree... once the IS gets older.. price will drop and then it will also fall into this " kids trashing em" category u speak of.. the is is not a 1m.. lets be real!
and btw I live in Miami.... I see 18 yr olds in maseratis with ebay bits on em..
soo I don't think the 135is is exclusively subject to this "kids trashing em" cat..
and fyi.. if u wanna buy a 100k car and paint it pink.. its your deal.. I don't think it has anything to do with age..
same could be said of antique cars turned into donks!!
would it be fair to say " blacks ruin the antiques"
that's just racist..
      05-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #38
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I disagree... once the IS gets older.. price will drop and then it will also fall into this " kids trashing em" category u speak of.. the is is not a 1m.. lets be real!
and btw I live in Miami.... I see 18 yr olds in maseratis with ebay bits on em..
soo I don't think the 135is is exclusively subject to this "kids trashing em" cat..
and fyi.. if u wanna buy a 100k car and paint it pink.. its your deal.. I don't think it has anything to do with age..
same could be said of antique cars turned into donks!!
would it be fair to say " blacks ruin the antiques"
that's just racist..
What a strange post.

I happen to own a 6MT 135is convertible, that I bought second hand with negligible mileage on it 2.5 years ago. Since then, I've run the odo on this car up to around 10K miles, nothing for a 5 year old car, obviously. That having been said, it is the least valuable of the 5 cars I own which could be considered in any way collectible. I didn't buy it as an investment, nor did I buy any of the other cars for that reason. If the value of it is cut in half over the next 5 minutes, I won't drink one less bottle of red Burgundy in the remaining days allotted to me :-)

That being said, there is and will always be an air of exclusivity to those cars that were sold as such (135is) by dealers in the US (the car did not exist as such anywhere else). I will be personally astonished if a well-kept, lower mileage one does not sell for more than an otherwise similar 135i, now, or at any time in the future.

If I am correct, and I think that I am, so long as the overall stock of these cars is well maintained and not run into the ground, the spread in value between them and regular 135i cars will do nothing but increase over time. Of course, if the market valuation trend towards valuing small, powerful, coupes and sedans less and less over time continues, then even if a 135is is valued at 2X what a 135i is worth, 2X (almost) zero won't be much, either.
      05-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #39
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:

It’s not at all like a 911 vs. a 911 Turbo. It’s essentially a limited edition options package, much more similar to a 987 Cayman S vs. the 987 Cayman Design Edition, which Porsche made 777 of and also even added a glovebox badge. Like with the Porsche, I can understand a few grand bump of a 135is over a 135i, but not $10K+.

From a poster on planet-9.com: "As the 987.1 entered its final yr of 2008, Porsche came out with numerous special editions, limited editions, design editions, etc to entice ppl to buy rather than wait for the 987.2. They really weren't that special - just special colors / stripe combinations that were loaded up with lots of options. Porsche had 3 'specials' for the Boxster & 2(?) for the Cayman in 2008. My LE might be worth a bit more only because it's #5 of 250 and my CSS might be a bit more valuable b/c of its color. But right now that bump is probably $3-5K at best. The thing that makes them desirable (not collectible) now is the combo of options they came with."

Last edited by duder13; 05-04-2018 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #40
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
I have the blue stitched leather. Try pricing it out. Eek!
Were you charged extra for the blue stitching? If so, curious as to how much, if you wouldn't mind sharing.
It was the same price as any of the leather options.

Have a small stain on drivers seat back. Priced out replacement seat back cover.......I can live with the small stain.
So did it list an additional price on your sticker for the blue stitched leather? On both of my 1ers (my '08 and my current '11) the Boston leather was listed as "included" on the sticker. How about yours?
      05-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #41
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
It’s not at all like a 911 vs. a 911 Turbo. It’s essentially a limited edition options package, much more similar to a 987 Cayman S vs. the 987 Cayman Design Edition, which Porsche made 777 of and also even added a glovebox badge. Like with the Porsche, I can understand a few grand bump of a 135is over a 135i, but not $10K+.

From a poster on planet-9.com: "As the 987.1 entered its final yr of 2008, Porsche came out with numerous special editions, limited editions, design editions, etc to entice ppl to buy rather than wait for the 987.2. They really weren't that special - just special colors / stripe combinations that were loaded up with lots of options. Porsche had 3 'specials' for the Boxster & 2(?) for the Cayman in 2008. My LE might be worth a bit more only because it's #5 of 250 and my CSS might be a bit more valuable b/c of its color. But right now that bump is probably $3-5K at best. The thing that makes them desirable (not collectible) now is the combo of options they came with."
For those who can read, I said in my post that the comparison between a regular 996 and a turbo is "not wholly pertinent." In addition, what I have said at least twice in this thread is that I believe that the implied exclusivity of the "is" model is likely to lead to them being treated differently by their owners than many or most regular 135i cars will be treated. The "is" version represented a tiny percentage of the run of "135i-type" cars. People who own them will be looking to get more for them than will be the case with people who own regular versions. As a result, they are likely to end up in the hands of people who will treat them better, rather than as a "cheap used kids car," which is what appears to be happening to the regular 1-Series cars (unfortunately, and undeserved, in my opinion).

I think these cars will segment more as time goes on, because the people who will pay a few thousand (or more) for them over what it would cost to buy a cheaper, regular, more easily available version will treat them better, and this will be reflected in resale values more and more as time goes on.

Just my take, and we shall see, and honestly, I don't much care, I'm not selling mine.
      05-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #42
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

!

Quote:
For those who can read, I said in my post that the comparison between a regular 996 and a turbo is "not wholly pertinent." In addition, what I have said at least twice in this thread is that I believe that the implied exclusivity of the "is" model is likely to lead to them being treated differently by their owners than many or most regular 135i cars will be treated. The "is" version represented a tiny percentage of the run of "135i-type" cars. People who own them will be looking to get more for them than will be the case with people who own regular versions. As a result, they are likely to end up in the hands of people who will treat them better, rather than as a "cheap used kids car," which is what appears to be happening to the regular 1-Series cars (unfortunately, and undeserved, in my opinion).

I think these cars will segment more as time goes on, because the people who will pay a few thousand (or more) for them over what it would cost to buy a cheaper, regular, more easily available version will treat them better, and this will be reflected in resale values more and more as time goes on.

Just my take, and we shall see, and honestly, I don't much care, I'm not selling mine.
smh.. ur crazier than a shit house rat!!
I hope u don't get into all these vehicle u own :::rolls eyes:: with those ratty ass sandals in ur avatar..
because in all honestythat would be ----..unfortunate, and undeserved, in my opinion
      05-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #43
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
smh.. ur crazier than a shit house rat!!
I hope u don't get into all these vehicle u own :::rolls eyes:: with those ratty ass sandals in ur avatar..
because in all honestythat would be ----..unfortunate, and undeserved, in my opinion
OK, Come on, it was a legible post that had some merit to it, no need to get personal.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #44
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
OK, Come on, it was a legible post that had some merit to it, no need to get personal.

u know people get so butt hurt on here
it was ok to make a blanket statement that "kids are ruining these cars"...
wich is not fact.. because I consider myself young.. and I have not bastardized my car in any way.. and if I did .. its my money and I can ghetto my car if I damn well please as I pay for it!!
but what is fact.. that those sandals.. are from a dollar store and hes getting into his "1m" in them.. soo wouldn't that be hypocritical of him??
a 16 yr old puts a ebay shopping cart wing on his 135i and hes murdered the car..
but a guy that owns a 1m gets out at whole foods wearing dollar store flip flops is ... understandable??
come on.. go dick ride somewhere else