E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DME issue or Fuel injector issue (Solved, it was the DME!)

10-09-2023, 10:26 AM   #23
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Just tried that, unfortunately same issues in bank 1. Thanks for the suggestion.
If it does turn out to be the DME, is it worth upgrading to the MSD81 ?
When it is cloned, does the original vin still stay with the MSD81?
ahh.. I'm not very familiar with DME software issues.. I'd imagine yes the Vin would stay with the DME along with the past history of the original DME. Im somewhat stumped as to what your bank 1 fuel cut is. What are your shadow codes on your vehicle? Did you pull plugs and clean them and check for fuel? The injector MOSFETS/transistors? If you're running msd80 it has been known to fry the DME and MOSFETS.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 06:03 PM   #24
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoB96 View Post
ahh.. I'm not very familiar with DME software issues.. I'd imagine yes the Vin would stay with the DME along with the past history of the original DME. Im somewhat stumped as to what your bank 1 fuel cut is. What are your shadow codes on your vehicle? Did you pull plugs and clean them and check for fuel? The injector MOSFETS/transistors? If you're running msd80 it has been known to fry the DME and MOSFETS.
Tried plugs, coils, mosfets test good. I’m really stumped here. Leaning toward the DME being the issue. Surprised no on here experience anything similar.
No shadow codes in MHD
Only the injector activation codes
2E30, 2E31, 2E32, 30AC, 30AD, 30AE
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 06:19 PM   #25
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Tried plugs, coils, mosfets test good. I’m really stumped here. Leaning toward the DME being the issue. Surprised no on here experience anything similar.
No shadow codes in MHD
If you've tried swapping injectors, plugs, coils, 02 sensors and the codes persist then you're more than likely looking at a connection/software issue. Activation code means its not reading.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 06:22 PM   #26
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No shadow codes in MHD
Try swapping the non index 12 injectors to a different bank i.e 4 or 5 or 6 and see if the codes follow. Are the index 1 injectors on 2 and 3?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 03:46 PM   #27
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So i finally solved the issue, my DME was defective. I picked up a used MSD80 DME from a local junk yard and had it cloned from my original DME by a local BMW shop that does reprogramming. I didnt want to spend a ton of money on the DME in case it wasnt the issue. (found this person through Ebay, it was $100 to reprogram and the used DME was $100). Plugged it in and it fired right up.

I could have done an upgrade to an MSD81, as a matter of fact i had already picked up a used MSD81 but decided against the upgrade for now as I didnt want to run into any issues with the donor cars vin still in the programming affecting MHD and/or NYS inspection. I may still upgrade in the future.

My issues started one day when i went to fire up the car ('07 335i) and i was greeted with the half engine light and running on 3 cylinders.
When scanning for codes, i kept getting only these codes : (no other codes or shadow codes)
2E30 - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 1 activation
2E31 - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 2 activation
2E32 - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 3 activation
30AC - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 1 activation
30AD - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 2 activation
30AE - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 3 activation

The DME was shutting down power to the bank 1 fuel injectors, i verified this with a test light. The injectors were receiving power/ground ONLY during cranking and once fired up, the DME was shutting down power to the bank 1 injectors....causing the engine to only run on the rear 3 cylinders.

Here is everything i tried to figure this out:
-checked for water intrusion into the DME, no water intrusion issues
-tested the mosfets and they all tested ok.
-tested continuity on all wires from the DME to the coils & Injectors, checked all the grounds, all tested ok.
-Flashed DME back to stock from MHD Stage 2+, still same issues.
-Monitored low & high fuel pressure, all checked out ok.
-I have the Bimmerlife Audi R8 coils so i removed them and reinstalled stock coils and swapped in known good plugs in bank 1, still same issues.
-swapped and coded 3 known good injectors in bank 1 and still same issues.
-swapped bank 1 & bank 2 pre cat O2 sensors, still same issues.
-Picked up a used MSD80 DME and had it cloned with my original DME's stock file, this solved the issues. Car is running great again!

In hindsight i could have immediately replaced the DME with a cloned MSD80, but i wanted to troubleshoot the issue first before dropping money into it. After all, the codes above all do start with "DME" !

So i guess something in the DME was fried that controlled the bank 1 injectors, i guess it could be due to age, the DME is now almost 17 years old. The mosfets were not the issue, i tested them and another person (who replaces mosfets as a business) also tested them ok. I probably will still upgrade to the MSD81 since i already picked one up.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Last edited by Rube; 10-14-2023 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2023, 04:24 PM   #28
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So i finally solved the issue, my DME was defective. I picked up a used MSD80 DME from a local junk yard and had it cloned from my original DME by a local BMW shop that does reprogramming. I didnt want to spend a ton of money on the DME in case it wasnt the issue. (found this person through Ebay, it was $100 to reprogram and the used DME was $100). Plugged it in and it fired right up.

I could have done an upgrade to an MSD81, as a matter of fact i had already picked up a used MSD81 but decided against the upgrade for now as I didnt want to run into any issues with the donor cars vin still in the programming affecting MHD and/or NYS inspection. I may still upgrade in the future.

My issues started one day when i went to fire up the car ('07 335i) and i was greeted with the half engine light and running on 3 cylinders.
When scanning for codes, i kept getting only these codes : (no other codes or shadow codes)
2E30 - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 1 activation
2E31 - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 2 activation
2E32 - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 3 activation
30AC - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 1 activation
30AD - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 2 activation
30AE - DME: fuel injector, cylinder 3 activation

The DME was shutting down power to the bank 1 fuel injectors, i verified this with a test light. The injectors were receiving power/ground ONLY during cranking and once fired up, the DME was shutting down power to the bank 1 injectors....causing the engine to only run on the rear 3 cylinders.

Here is everything i tried to figure this out:
-checked for water intrusion into the DME, no water intrusion issues
-tested the mosfets and they all tested ok.
-tested continuity on all wires from the DME to the coils & Injectors, checked all the grounds, all tested ok.
-Flashed DME back to stock from MHD Stage 2+, still same issues.
-Monitored low & high fuel pressure, all checked out ok.
-I have the Bimmerlife Audi R8 coils so i removed them and reinstalled stock coils and swapped in known good plugs in bank 1, still same issues.
-swapped and coded 3 known good injectors in bank 1 and still same issues.
-swapped bank 1 & bank 2 pre cat O2 sensors, still same issues.
-Picked up a used MSD80 DME and had it cloned with my original DME's stock file, this solved the issues. Car is running great again!

In hindsight i could have immediately replaced the DME with a cloned MSD80, but i wanted to troubleshoot the issue first before dropping money into it. After all, the codes above all do start with "DME" !

So i guess something in the DME was fried that controlled the bank 1 injectors, i guess it could be due to age, the DME is now almost 17 years old. The mosfets were not the issue, i tested them and another person (who replaces mosfets as a business) also tested them ok. I probably will still upgrade to the MSD81 since i already picked one up.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Glad you got it figured out. I was almost just as frustrated as you not being able to figure it out lol
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 05:02 PM   #29
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoB96 View Post
Glad you got it figured out. I was almost just as frustrated as you not being able to figure it out lol
Lol definitely was frustrating. Thanks for your help !
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 05:22 PM   #30
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

it has been mentioned few times it doesnt have to be mosfets. So blindly replacing mosfets doesnt help. It can be the power supply unit in dme, in which case replace dme. Was the case in my 535i as well...
      10-14-2023, 05:51 PM   #31
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i was trying not to replace them if i didnt need to.....i ended up not needing to....but i did need a used DME

Last edited by Rube; 10-14-2023 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 10:39 PM   #32
Pito11213
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i Xdrive

I’m in this boat right now.

Just tested 6 index 1, no leaks. New seals and decouplers, new spark plugs and eldor plugs put those in less thank 500 miles ago).

Reset adaptations.

Turn on the car and immediately injector 4 voltage went to zero. I then swapped the injector wires between 3 & 4, the problem moved to injector 3. Mosfets all check out with continuity and ohm tests.

Oddly enough, when I tried again to start the car 4.5.6 all gave activation codes.

I just picked up an MSD81 and will try and get it cloned tomorrow and hopefully that fixes this.

Did you get voltage readings by just using a meter probe on the injector plugs and having the key set to ignition? I might try to check the wiring and/or pins at the DME, but initial testing looks fine.
Appreciate 0