BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

09-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #45
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers View Post
Completely agree OP. Wanted the MT so bad, but it just wasn't paired well to this car. DCT has its drawbacks too. Previous generation Porsche manuals have spoiled me
Me too. BMW manuals just plain suck. When something as magnificent as DCT is available, it's a no brainer. I bought one BMW manual and never again.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #46
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
Me too. BMW manuals just plain suck. When something as magnificent as DCT is available, it's a no brainer. I bought one BMW manual and never again.
That is strictly your opinion - not fact. My opinion is that the 6MT does not suck. Many people love the F8X 6MT - their opinon. Yours differs, but doesn't mean the manual is bad.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #47
SOM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
That is strictly your opinion - not fact. My opinion is that the 6MT does not suck. Many people love the F8X 6MT - their opinon. Yours differs, but doesn't mean the manual is bad.
Well of course it's my opinion. I just won't be suckered again by another shitty BMW manual.

I'm sure they improved it a little over E92 but the long throws and notchiness remains. I tried my buddies Mustang GT manual and that thing was sublime in comparison to E92.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #48
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Well of course it's my opinion. I just won't be suckered again by another shitty BMW manual.

I'm sure they improved it a little over E92 but the long throws and notchiness remains. I tried my buddies Mustang GT manual and that thing was sublime in comparison to E92.
Sounds like you have not driven one.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #49
SOM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Sounds like you have not driven one.
I did not drive F8X but I owned E92 M3 MT and I drove few Z3/4, 1 series manuals...they all sucked.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #50
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I did not drive F8X but I owned E92 M3 MT and I drove few Z3/4, 1 series manuals...they all sucked.
The 1M was widely praised for it's MT. The same MT is in this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #51
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
The 1M was widely praised for it's MT. The same MT is in this car.
This is what I've heard, and I can't wait! Going from my 1M to the MT in the e92 was a painful experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #52
Kuwen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Coming from a Honda manual, I've been extremely pleased with the manual in the M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #53
Captain45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 - SG

Im on the fence about manual as well. my E92 is DCT and its an excellent transmission (albeit slow speed shifting can be a little annoying in the city), It seems that when Im not pushing the car and having fun, it remains in D most of the time. I believe its due to not knowing what gear Im in unless I look down at the gauges. It feels too simulated and almost pointless "clicking up and down" through daily driving.

In an MT you always know what gear you are in based on just having your hand near the shifter. Its almost subconscious that looking at your speed and rpm you know where you are at.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #54
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

The 6 speed manual on the M3 is good. Very smooth tranny for the amount of torque level.

Most cars with hp the tranny will be more stiff or heavy duty. Don't get that confused with WRX's tranny for example where the stiffness is from lack of smoothness going into gear and grinding of synchronizers.

When I hammer in first year the orange traction light blinks. If you didn't felt the power you probably left on the traction control on limiting wheel spin. The traction control is so good now a days that you can't tell it's even working and you probably assume turbo lag.

Hate to see you hammer a new M before the 1300 mile tune-up. My dealer kept telling me not to take RPM past 5 grand because their cars didn't have any miles.

On a final note I do suspect BMW limiting torque down low on the throttle maybe so it doesn't break traction or drivetrain easily or drive by wire effect to tune the wheel spin out when the turbo kicks in? Sometime I feel if the M division offer a proper awd system the full power will be unleashed and the butt dyno will reach 200% in terms of feel.

Last edited by gtr; 09-26-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #55
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcollector212 View Post
I have to laugh and its obvious you must been in your teens or early 20's to make such a post. If you had experience owning and building race cars for 30+ years you would know a brand new clutch single or multi disc is not supposed to be abused until the matting surfaces are broken in properly otherwise you will never get the full bite. common sense overall and i would never drive the car as your describing off the dealers lot because i respect cars and would never abuse a car that wasn't mine. My comments are just my feedback and take them as you will, i know how to drive manuals just fine.
Not 20...add a couple of decades of experience. Built several GT class cars as well but prefer factory cups now.

Raced actively for over 15 years in PCA HSR GRAND AM

Campaigned my ALMS 996 RSR very successfully and other P cars in GTA and GT2R classes.

had clutches changed and full engines and tranny's in the pits and immediately back on the track from Mosport to Sebring and Daytona and everywhere in between. Full out. If it's going to break; we found out on the track. And replaced it if so.

The only thing I gave a little time to was sticker tires for obvious reasons.

If your shopping for groceries on the track waiting for your new clutches to "bite" you're not out in front. If you're tracking in an HPDE event; then I understand the slower "break in" of consumables.

Currently still have that car, and a 997 GT3 RS and my old trusty 997.2 C4S as the Porsche part of my stable. (Sold too many fine race cars, though)

All driven hard and impeccably maintained, as all of my cars are.

I understand respecting cars; but I take them to the limits. Street and track. If they break; I bring them back and have them fixed. (That's the benefit of having a great pit crew team! )

Didn't mean to undermine your experiences; and after hearing that you have 30+ years racing experience; I have to give the benefit of the doubt to that. (Learned that the hard way when Paul Newman almost punted me off the track at Lime Rock with one of his 800 plus HP Vettes!).

Back to the original topic: put the settings all on sport plus and turn off the TC.

Then let it rip. The 6MT wants to be shifted at 6K plus. Those setting plus high RPM shifts will give you the seat of the pants G force meter that you thought was lacking and it will step out under throttle very easily to change slip angle very nicely but I can see predict increased lap times with the TC off.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #56
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but the 6MT gets smoother after break-in. Mine felt notchy during my ED trip, especially on the 1-2 shift. But somewhere around 1000 miles it started to get better, now the notchiness is completely gone.
      09-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #57
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
DCT i cruised at very low speeds to see how smooth it was and it was very smooth. then i literally drove it flat out for the rest of my drivhe

the manual i cruised around a bit then drove it flat out as well.

i liked both of them for different reasons almost wish i could have one of each but that would be ridiculous.

I honestly prefer a heavier clutch feel in a car thats just the way i like it.
I stopped reading here. I think our definitions of driving "flat out", unless your test drive occurred on a track, are quite different. By my definition, rega rdless of how many supercars one might own, one can't truly drive a car "flat out" on public roads, for nearly an hour. at least anywhere in the vicinity of a bmw dealership in the us anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #58
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

6MT in the F8X is a dramatic improvement over the E9X 6MT, and it is also a better match to the engine. No, it's not up to Boxster or Miata standards, but it's hugely improved and really pretty good. It's similar to the E36 M3 5MT feel.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #59
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
The Lag you describe with the Manual vs. DCT. Could be attributed to the Wastegates dumping boost when shifting. This was a an issue with the n54/335 The DCT definitely holds boost during shifts.

With all that said I have heard this was mitigated, BMW supposedly has engineered the turbos to be "pretensioned" to continue to spin during shifts and maintain boost . I have not driven the manual as yet

there are some other threads on this topic
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #60
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Try driving it in Comfort/efficient mode and see if there is a difference, there should be more turbo lag as the turbos are not "pretensioned" in that mode
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #61
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
6MT in the F8X is a dramatic improvement over the E9X 6MT, and it is also a better match to the engine. No, it's not up to Boxster or Miata standards, but it's hugely improved and really pretty good. It's similar to the E36 M3 5MT feel.
Not sure where you're getting this idea but I have an e36m and they both feel completely different. The e36 clutch is much heavier, and the gearbox longer throws and more notchy. Imo I like the notchy feeling, the f80 to me felt like it had a short shift kit after driving it right after I drove my e36. F80 clutch feather light
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #62
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

My impressions from driving both were:
1) DCT just did not feel comfortable in 'auto' mode -- I want to choose when gears change, no surprises.
2) I did not get comfortable flipping either, although I am sure that would come with more time behind the wheel
3) Might be imagined, but the extra weight of the DCT added to the sense of a bigger, more M5-like car. The manual seemed a bit more nimble.
4) The manual is a great manual transmission, spot-on for the incredible torque and the LSD.

There are good reasons for choosing either. Highly experienced drivers have made different choices. You cannot go wrong on this whichever tranny you get.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #63
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
The Lag you describe with the Manual vs. DCT. Could be attributed to the Wastegates dumping boost when shifting. This was a an issue with the n54/335 The DCT definitely holds boost during shifts.
Why would it dump boost? I sure don't release the gas 100% when shifting. On weaker car I keep pedal to the floor and more powerful cars release 25% while shifting.

I guess for street driving yes the pedal releases 100% but then again I'm not accelerating very hard.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #64
Carcollector212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Well everyone i bought the 6sp manual today after taking another drive and my wonderful wife pushing me for the manual. She made a good point that if i hate it i can always sell it quite easily since the car is so popular. So il be giving it a shot

Fyi the longer i drove it the better the clutch and shifter feel got.

I should be picking it up in a few days time. Should be a fun daily driver

Got the car up to 130 today felt pretty good but a huge difference from heavy larger super sedans i have had as daily drivers. One thing for sure is the pilot super sport tires on the m3 do not seem to bite like on my other cars, maybe from the excessive tire shine that slung itself on the thread ot just the compound used. Stickier tires would make a nice upgrade. I also think steping down to 18 would help traction as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #65
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr racer
Quote:
I have to laugh and its obvious you must been in your teens or early 20's to make such a post. If you had experience owning and building race cars for 30+ years you would know a brand new clutch single or multi disc is not supposed to be abused until the matting surfaces are broken in properly otherwise you will never get the full bite. common sense overall and i would never drive the car as your describing off the dealers lot because i respect cars and would never abuse a car that wasn't mine. My comments are just my feedback and take them as you will, i know how to drive manuals just fine.
Not 20...add a couple of decades of experience. Built several GT class cars as well but prefer factory cups now.

Raced actively for over 15 years in PCA HSR GRAND AM

Campaigned my ALMS 996 RSR very successfully and other P cars in GTA and GT2R classes.

had clutches changed and full engines and tranny's in the pits and immediately back on the track from Mosport to Sebring and Daytona and everywhere in between. Full out. If it's going to break; we found out on the track. And replaced it if so.

The only thing I gave a little time to was sticker tires for obvious reasons.

If your shopping for groceries on the track waiting for your new clutches to "bite" you're not out in front. If you're tracking in an HPDE event; then I understand the slower "break in" of consumables.

Currently still have that car, and a 997 GT3 RS and my old trusty 997.2 C4S as the Porsche part of my stable. (Sold too many fine race cars, though)

All driven hard and impeccably maintained, as all of my cars are.

I understand respecting cars; but I take them to the limits. Street and track. If they break; I bring them back and have them fixed. (That's the benefit of having a great pit crew team! )

Didn't mean to undermine your experiences; and after hearing that you have 30+ years racing experience; I have to give the benefit of the doubt to that. (Learned that the hard way when Paul Newman almost punted me off the track at Lime Rock with one of his 800 plus HP Vettes!).

Back to the original topic: put the settings all on sport plus and turn off the TC.

Then let it rip. The 6MT wants to be shifted at 6K plus. Those setting plus high RPM shifts will give you the seat of the pants G force meter that you thought was lacking and it will step out under throttle very easily to change slip angle very nicely but I can see predict increased lap times with the TC off.
Norm, don't let comments from a "one upper" ruffle your feathers.

This thread was clearly posted to stroke OP's own ego.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #66
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Well everyone i bought the 6sp manual today after taking another drive and my wonderful wife pushing me for the manual. She made a good point that if i hate it i can always sell it quite easily since the car is so popular. So il be giving it a shot

Fyi the longer i drove it the better the clutch and shifter feel got.

I should be picking it up in a few days time. Should be a fun daily driver

Got the car up to 130 today felt pretty good but a huge difference from heavy larger super sedans i have had as daily drivers. One thing for sure is the pilot super sport tires on the m3 do not seem to bite like on my other cars, maybe from the excessive tire shine that slung itself on the thread ot just the compound used. Stickier tires would make a nice upgrade. I also think steping down to 18 would help traction as well.
They will definitely need about 100 miles to wear off the mold release compound.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread