Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

09-29-2014, 03:30 AM   #89
Spied4US
Private
Rep
Drives: Cautiously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcollector212 View Post
Well everyone i bought the 6sp manual today after taking another drive and my wonderful wife pushing me for the manual. . . . .
Wait. You raise hell about the inadequacies of the manual transmissions in general and BMW's MT in particular, accuse one and all who prefer MTs of being Luddites, and then you buy one, laying the decision off on your wife?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #90
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Fail
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #91
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
Not sure where you're getting this idea but I have an e36m and they both feel completely different. The e36 clutch is much heavier, and the gearbox longer throws and more notchy. Imo I like the notchy feeling, the f80 to me felt like it had a short shift kit after driving it right after I drove my e36. F80 clutch feather light
The E36's I've driven for the past 17 years have felt pretty good to me, and - to me - the shift action of the F8X feels reminiscent of the E36 M3. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #92
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Pics of the new ride?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #93
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Very strange thread....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #94
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Very strange thread....
Yeah OP posts a lot, bags on the manual, " buys a manual", then disappears. Strange indeed lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #95
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I hesitate jumping into yet another MT vs DCT thread . . . but here goes.

First, I'm an old MT guy. Over 35+ years of car ownership, I've owned one car (for 14 months) that was an auto transmission. And yes, I know all the arguments . . . DCT is faster, MT is more visceral . . . vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream.

About 18 months ago, I bought an M5 MT. The Germans said that that car was built for the DCT and that the MT was offered only to placate people like me in the North American market. After driving the car for two days, I knew in my soul that they were right (serves me right for arguing with the Germans). I got rid of the car after a year and jumped back into a 911 7MT. Joy!

About two weeks ago, my BMW guy offered me a test drive in a M4 MT that they had on the lot (he's a smart guy, knowing that I've been driving BMWs since 1984 and that I wouldn't stay away for long). Anyway - I was blown away by the M4 and its MT. I loved the car and the transmission. I haven't driven a DCT and don't want/need to. Long story, short - if you like and want an MT, you won't be disappointed with the M3/4's. If you like and want a DCT, there's no way that you'll be disappointed either.

Fwiw, I'm back lurking in the BMW forums, learning as much as I can about the M3/4. My dealer was right and I expect to trade my Audi S4 next year for an M3.

Last edited by hinckley; 09-29-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #96
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Like others I originally wanted a 6MT, but wound up ordering DCT. Coming from a GTR I wanted a 6MT so bad, but after driving a 6MT M4 my thoughts have changed. I *think* I would want a 6MT in a more raw car, if that makes any sense?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #97
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwin_sd View Post
Like others I originally wanted a 6MT, but wound up ordering DCT. Coming from a GTR I wanted a 6MT so bad, but after driving a 6MT M4 my thoughts have changed. I *think* I would want a 6MT in a more raw car, if that makes any sense?
Even though my M4 must not be "a more raw car", I am very glad that I got the 6MT and am extremely pleased with it. For me, it makes driving the M4 more fun and the shifter and clutch are outstanding. The best of the 15 BMWs that I have owned.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #98
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Why would anyone who knows how to drive a MT get an auto in this car? I get the fact that the auto is a hair-length faster but you are giving up so much user engagement and money while adding weight.

IMO, BMW makes the AT a $2,900 option for a reason... and the reason is not necessarily for higher performance; it is for ease and comfortability while attracting more potential buyers

For those saying the MT is notchy or slipping or whatnot... can you please elaborate what you mean and your experience with MT?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #99
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

BMW MTs historically have been a little notchy. Did not like the manual no the E9X which is why I went with DCT. Do we know if BMW is using the same shift mechanism on the MT as they did in the E9x, also is the DCT identical?

OP I have to admit I did like the DCT, but because somewhat boring to drive after some time and felt very unattached to the car. Actually ended up driving in auto many times. If you want to stay connected get the Manual.
      09-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #100
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

Quote:
Well everyone i bought the 6sp manual today after taking another drive and my wonderful wife pushing me for the manual. She made a good point that if i hate it i can always sell it quite easily since the car is so popular. So il be giving it a shot

Fyi the longer i drove it the better the clutch and shifter feel got.

I should be picking it up in a few days time. Should be a fun daily driver

Got the car up to 130 today felt pretty good but a huge difference from heavy larger super sedans i have had as daily drivers. One thing for sure is the pilot super sport tires on the m3 do not seem to bite like on my other cars, maybe from the excessive tire shine that slung itself on the thread ot just the compound used. Stickier tires would make a nice upgrade. I also think steping down to 18 would help traction as well.
Waitaminutehere.....I thought you said you respect cars that aren't yours. A buck 30 on a "test" drive is not what I would call respectful. Where exactly in NYC did you achieve this stunt safely? What about respecting other drivers and their safety?

No bite from the MPSS tires implies you finally got the rear wheel spin you were looking for and lacking initially. Why ask for stickier tires when you said you wanted to spin them to begin with??

WTF? Am I the only one seeing all of the inconstancies with the OP?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #101
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Norm, don't let comments from a "one upper" ruffle your feathers.

This thread was clearly posted to stroke OP's own ego.
Clearly.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 03:16 AM   #102
m3stunna
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Quote:
Yeah the car overall is alot of fun but the DTC is so refined compared to my older SMg M5. I was expecting some kick in the hardest setting but it really felt like my Ferrari Dual clutch, however in the automatic mode the DCT from BMW is much better than in my Ferrari. I think porsche and bmw have these dual clutches perfected and Ferrari is right behind them. forgot to add that my Ferrari California 2011 feels slow compared to my SL and CTSV. I think these big displacement forced inducted V8 are pure monsters for the power band. I guess this is why there is so much hype with the new C63 coming out.

I also thought the manual gearbox car had more fake emitted sound in the cabin than the DCT car. id be curious if BMW did this on purpose.
Ferrari, M3, SL, and a CTSV?!?

What else you rockin? Maybe an Aventador?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #103
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

Interesting comments.

I'm coming from a CTSV, and I felt the opposite. I was extremely encouraged by the M4's torque and power compared to the V. Obviously the V had more sheer firepower, but the M4's agility coupled with it's just creamy motor makes it oodles better in my book. Not a regret in the world switching the cars.

I do have a 6spd, and I understand that the DCT is faster and all that but for me, I wouldn't want this caliber of sports car without a stick. If I were getting something higher up in the sports range, like a GT3, Speciale, 650s, and it's not like i have the choice, but I understand why a dual clutch is the only option. Those cars are just on a different planet, and as much as we think we are each the next Alonso or Vettel, we're not. I could see having that much power and 3 pedals could be a very stressful ride (but I would still love to try it before I pick =( *

Ultimately, I love my M4. I really do, I take pride getting into it everyday. It's got tons of personality and character and that's something that I missed a lot in previous BMW's. The box and clutch isn't as great as my 991 C2S, but it's good enough that I've strongly considered getting rid of the c2s for a GT3. It doesn't sound like much, but for me, if a car can make me sell it's competitor, it's doing a pretty fine job.

^Maybe the OP hasn't seen the Speciale's gearbox. I don't think Ferrari is behind anyone when it comes to a dual clutch. Rightfully so, They've been working on them for over a decade.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #104
WVUDrJay
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I like manuals because they are fun to drive. While waiting for my M4 I drove an automatic Jeep Wrangler which is my winter car. My hand rested on shifter the whole time, could not help it. But in the end get whatever YOU like.

And I know an m4a and a jeep are not the same but every time I drive any 2 pedal car I find it less fun. That included a 911 turbo which I can't afford but a work colleague let me drive.
      10-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #105
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Guys what about the throttle response feel DCT vs 6MT - any difference for guys that have driven both?

I drove a DCT M5 and M3 back to back Friday. The M5 is an all out monster oh my god. I really liked the M3 as well but it seemed the computer was tweaking the input between the pedal and the engine way more than in the M5.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #106
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

After a 996 and a 997 (both 6MT), I had a DCT e92 for three years and found it boring so I got and am still driving a 6MT e92.

I drove a 6MT F82 a couple of weeks ago.

The e92 really needs to be over 5,000 RPM, and in that range, the throttle response is powerful. Up at that range, shifting between gears is tricky because just being a few hundred RPM off of the rev match and the car jerks around (just as it does if you're driving along at 6 or 7,000 RPM and you just take your foot off the gas and re-apply - watch your passenger's heads bob back and forth). That's why I always felt that the DCT was a great transmission for that V8 engine: those high RPM gear changes are always smooth and don't unsettle the car. Nevertheless, I just don't have as much fun pulling a paddle as trying to do it myself. There is a lot of satisfaction in learning to drive that car with e 6MT well.

On the other hand, the F82 turbo lag was obvious to me, so the car didn't have the same kind of immediate throttle response that my e92 has at high RPM (please read that sentence carefully - Im not saying that the F82 isn't powerful). Plus, given how much extra lower end torque the F82 has, it seemed to me that one could shift at lower RPM and still get plenty of pull (unlike the e92). It seemed much easier to shift and match revs in the F82, so I actually think that the 6MT is a better choice in the F82 than in the e92, unless you're just after the pure fun factor of doing it for yourself.

I do believe that the DCT was a better match for the e92, and that that advantage is diminished in the F82. With the auto rev matching that's available in the F82, the MT seems like the perfect transmission. When you're feeling lazy (or you're letting someone else drive your car), the computer matches revs perfectly, and when you want the challenge and fun, you can do it yourself.

As for notchiness and light pedal feel, you just get used to all of that stuff after driving the car for a few weeks and then they just don't matter anymore. These are purely subjective experiences that seem biggest at first and diminish over time. I wouldn't let those features affect my decision.

The bottom line is whether you think it's more fun to do it for yourself or not. If you do, the 6MT in the F82 is a great choice.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #107
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Great explanation. It probably is a gnats ass worth of turbo lag I am sensing. Leaning DCT but I need to drive the 6MT before I pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #108
Fifth Echelon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Long story, short - if you like and want an MT, you won't be disappointed with the M3/4's. If you like and want a DCT, there's no way that you'll be disappointed either.
These, ladies and gents, are wise words. Heed them.

Both transmissions are clearly excellent with great feedback from forum members. The MT will of course have much more of that connected/engaging feeling than the DCT. On the other hand, the DCT is the quicker transmission, and (arguably) better geared for the F8x (although the difference is not as significant as in the E9x). It will also set you back an extra $2,900 on a US car.

I, personally, prefer the DCT. The extra performance and responsiveness is valuable not just on a track; sometimes on the street, that super-fast downshift compared to a 'normal speed' row-your-own downshift does provide that little bit extra. To me, that sort of transmission response just feels right in this M. Those ultra quick shifts just give me a hugely satisfying feeling.

There are those who would miss the engagement of the MT if they owned a DCT; I would miss the razor-sharp quickness of the DCT if I went with the MT - on the F8x. By comparison, I'd rather have the MT on a Cayman over PDK.

Either way, you cannot go wrong. They are both fantastic transmissions on a fantastic car.

Past: 2005 Mercedes SLK350 6MT | Silver/Blue
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread