F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Following the 'Turtles' (Tortugas)
proTUNING Freaks

03-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #89
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW View Post
Do you know where I can track the Green Bay in detail. Also of the stuff I know about is for WW
I meant GPS tracking, of course

In case that's what you also meant: http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...l?call=WDD9433

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #90
mzrobbie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 X5 and (soon 2012 535i GT

No new info on our Turtles tonight, huh? We were originally supposed to arrive in Port Hueneme on 3/21, but all those "doughnuts" and "figure 8s" have set us back 24 hours. Will the Turtle Captain try to make up the time?

BTW - svache and weaselboy - thanks for the reassuring thumbs-up on my GT selection! Been hearing some criticism of her body style, and we girls are sensitive about that! But the GT seemed to be a nice transition vehicle after driving an X5 for 11+ years (my current 2004 and its leased 2001 predecessor). I wanted better gas mileage than the old X5, but since I'm still chauffeuring 2 kids (15 and 12 y.o.), I still needed a decent amount of space. I don't see a lot of GTs around town, which is a little disconcerting! My sales guy tried to reassure me that it's bc BMW doesn't manufacture a lot of them, but obviously, if they SOLD more, BMW would MAKE more!

(P.S. to svache . . . I hope it reassures YOU to know that I intentionally ordered the cold weather pkg, and I live in Scottsdale, AZ. It's amazing how quickly your body begins to perceive temperatures below 75 degrees as "just a bit nippy"! The heated steering wheel, however, MAY be superfluous!)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #91
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzrobbie View Post
No new info on our Turtles tonight, huh? We were originally supposed to arrive in Port Hueneme on 3/21, but all those "doughnuts" and "figure 8s" have set us back 24 hours. Will the Turtle Captain try to make up the time?

BTW - svache and weaselboy - thanks for the reassuring thumbs-up on my GT selection! Been hearing some criticism of her body style, and we girls are sensitive about that! But the GT seemed to be a nice transition vehicle after driving an X5 for 11+ years (my current 2004 and its leased 2001 predecessor). I wanted better gas mileage than the old X5, but since I'm still chauffeuring 2 kids (15 and 12 y.o.), I still needed a decent amount of space. I don't see a lot of GTs around town, which is a little disconcerting! My sales guy tried to reassure me that it's bc BMW doesn't manufacture a lot of them, but obviously, if they SOLD more, BMW would MAKE more!

(P.S. to svache . . . I hope it reassures YOU to know that I intentionally ordered the cold weather pkg, and I live in Scottsdale, AZ. It's amazing how quickly your body begins to perceive temperatures below 75 degrees as "just a bit nippy"! The heated steering wheel, however, MAY be superfluous!)
Nope, I think the Turtles will remain below water until March 20, 21 maybe. And yeah, haha, he sure had his fun but his fun made us get a day delay (and in the end a 4 day delay for me as my car probably misses it's connection on the 24th this way).

Haha you CA is a funny guy, saying they don't make enough and that's why you don't see them enough.. as long as they're being build to order, it is just whoever orders one will get one

Yeah, it saddens me a bit how people are negative towards the GT while it is a beauty of a car. I was sitting in my X5 today and actually saw a GT pass by, they're awesome! Perhaps it's my Dutch background, there is a lot of hatchbacks in Europe and perhaps people in Europe are more open to it (it was the explanation of my CA as to why sales are a bit low for it). It also explains a bit why you don't see the hatchback 1 series in the US but do see the (less spacy) 1 series coupe more often here. Oh well, I don't care if they like it or not, personally I love that car and I am a bit jealous of you for getting one

Haha, you're right about the temperatures. Often in the 'winter' I feel cold over here and turn my car heater on. Some people think I'm crazy because I live in Hawaii, but these are the same people who swim in the ocean with 75-80 degrees while I think it's waaaayyy too cold for that (funny thing, in Europe I loved to swim at that temperature). I often see tourists in shorts, slippers and all that, while we walk in long pants, shoes and sweaters lol. Yeah, I think I will have some use for those heated seats indeed, and if not me, then my wife will. She loves the heated seats (she had them before) plus she often does nightshifts so when she comes back early in the morning it's often cold, especially when she has a lack of sleep

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #92
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:

I really like the looks of the GT. It is a nice compromise between the 5-series and an X5. The fact there are not many GTs around is actually a plus as far as I am concerned. Who wants to go to the grocery store and see five cars just like yours?

+1 on the seat heaters. We live in the SoCal Desert and when I was ordering this 335i all my wife had to say was "Make sure you get the seat heaters." She loves those things on a cold day.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #93
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
btw, since you're hitching a ride with your GT, I do expect a picture of the car itself once you have taken delivery

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #94
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin
LOL. Looks like someone fed the transponder (or the pirate holding it) to a passing shark.

My father is a retired merchant navy skipper. I'm seeing him Friday so if your ship is still doing circles I'll ask him for an explanation. Better than that, maybe he could get on the sat-phone and talk them through the required manoeuvres!
I have an explanation for why the shop keeps going round in circles!

Apparently, they are waiting for the Pilot to come aboard (well 'of course', I hear you gasp).

However, for anyone that doesn't know, the Pilot is a highly skilled and experienced mariner who comes aboard specifically to guide the ship into Port.

So, while they wait for him, the ship does a few donuts just off the coast. It's easier and safer than, say, dropping anchor.

So expect more of this behaviour next time your turtle is ready to berth.

Thanks to Capt. PrinceBarin Snr for taking me through Maritime 101!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #95
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
I have an explanation for why the shop keeps going round in circles!

Apparently, they are waiting for the Pilot to come aboard (well 'of course', I hear you gasp).

However, for anyone that doesn't know, the Pilot is a highly skilled and experienced mariner who comes aboard specifically to guide the ship into Port.

So, while they wait for him, the ship does a few donuts just off the coast. It's easier and safer than, say, dropping anchor.

So expect more of this behaviour next time your turtle is ready to berth.

Thanks to Capt. PrinceBarin Snr for taking me through Maritime 101!
Cool, thanks! I didn't know this. I mean, I do know what a pilot is and what they do (my dad was a captain as well during his life (he has actually been commodore at one point) but I never knew the circling part and why they did that. This actually makes perfect sense

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #96
MacAttackBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 Sport Line - Alpine

Oh Panama... Oh Panama!!!!

Looks like the Green Bay made it to Panama!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #97
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looks like the Green Bay made it to Panama!!!!
Congrats! Seen it on the cam yet?

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #98
najammin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB M3 Coupe

my e92 coupe is alongside all its f30 siblings! cant wait til Tortugas docks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #99
mzrobbie
Registered
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
btw, since you're hitching a ride with your GT, I do expect a picture of the car itself once you have taken delivery
Will do! Actually, a widely disseminated photo will be the best way to answer all my family and friends who keep harassing me with, "You STILL haven't gotten your new car???"

The GT is the appropriate car for me now, but truth be told, the 3-series is a lot more fun to drive. Once the kids are grown, I see a convertible in my (mid-life crisis) future!

Photos from all of you please! (Let's hope the seas from BimmerHeaven to Hueneme have been smooth and there hasn't been a pile-up of our vehicles on the Tortugas! If that's the case, we should forgo the photo op.)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #100
mzrobbie
Registered
Rep

Unhappy

So is there not going to be any sign of our little Turtles before 3/22? Should I stop checking for its status?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #101
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by curryNrice004 View Post
my e92 coupe is alongside all its f30 siblings! cant wait til Tortugas docks!!
Welcome on board, only a couple of days more =)

Quote:
Will do! Actually, a widely disseminated photo will be the best way to answer all my family and friends who keep harassing me with, "You STILL haven't gotten your new car???"

The GT is the appropriate car for me now, but truth be told, the 3-series is a lot more fun to drive. Once the kids are grown, I see a convertible in my (mid-life crisis) future!

Photos from all of you please! (Let's hope the seas from BimmerHeaven to Hueneme have been smooth and there hasn't been a pile-up of our vehicles on the Tortugas! If that's the case, we should forgo the photo op.)
lol I want a convertible for so long already but every time there's another reason for me not to choose it :S

No probs, will post pics for sure once I take delivery of my car Just a few more weeks left

Quote:
So is there not going to be any sign of our little Turtles before 3/22? Should I stop checking for its status?
Haha yeah, according to Marinetraffic.com it will not pop up until close to CA in national waters. I think it's going to be the 21st before we see it, but if it gained some time it might drop anchor a day earlier on the 20st

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #102
najammin
Private
Rep

FYI...looks like Tortugas is half way to the port!!

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #103
najammin
Private
Rep

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=17.829...20163&t=h&z=10

After doing some quick math, it is about 1400 miles away from Port Hueneme as of yesterday 15:00.

If Tortugas is averaging 17.2 knots, then it should be within 700-800 miles by midnight tonight, which means it may be docking on the 21st after all...only time will tell!

Last edited by najammin; 03-19-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #104
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by curryNrice004 View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=17.829...20163&t=h&z=10

After doing some quick math, it is about 1400 miles away from Port Hueneme as of yesterday 15:00.

If Tortugas is averaging 17.2 knots, then it should be within 700-800 miles by midnight tonight, which means it may be docking on the 21st after all...only time will tell!
wow that's pretty sweet information, thanks so much! I never thought it would pop up already

edit: btw, did you see the last received tracking information? It might be that the ship is even further than this as it was received a day ago

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #105
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

0h my gawd, Tortugas is almost here! Whoever said Turtles were slow?

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #106
najammin
Private
Rep

Home stretch!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #107
EF30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i - MinGrey

I just looked online and the Tortugas is passing a city in Mexico called Tortugas! hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #108
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF30 View Post
I just looked online and the Tortugas is passing a city in Mexico called Tortugas! hmmm...
lol guess it was visiting some family

edit: just took a peek myself, and it seems to be working on it's final stretch.. Unfortunately LA was just outside the view but, wow, it's so close now

Last edited by svache; 03-20-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #109
MacAttackBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 Sport Line - Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF30 View Post
lol guess it was visiting some family

edit: just took a peek myself, and it seems to be working on it's final stretch.. Unfortunately LA was just outside the view but, wow, it's so close now

So happy for you guys! (and probably a little jealous) :P
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #110
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So happy for you guys! (and probably a little jealous) :P
It's still going to be tight, I have to be on another ship and sail to Hawaii still.. we might actually get the same delivery date lol

Appreciate 0