F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i / 440i (B58) BMW M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) Official Release
ARMA SPEED

11-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #1321
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
The valves will work as they should as the control logic is unchanged and unaffected by the MPPSK tune.
Just no "sound-effects" and extra power/torque.
I could live with that. I'll probably end up getting the tune installed at some point tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #1322
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xdrive GC - M Sport

Yeah tbh I also had some hard time deciding after hearing the installation cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #1323
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirpi View Post
Yeah tbh I also had some hard time deciding after hearing the installation cost.
Just remember as pointed out you get a lot for the cost. You get a valved cat back exhaust and tune that fits within your warranty. I purchased the mppsk one year into ownership and with 6 years of warranty that was a big deal. Have been very pleased with all aspects of the mppsk. As noted in the forum it is not for everyone. But for me it has been perfect for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #1324
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Just remember as pointed out you get a lot for the cost. You get a valved cat back exhaust and tune that fits within your warranty. I purchased the mppsk one year into ownership and with 6 years of warranty that was a big deal. Have been very pleased with all aspects of the mppsk. As noted in the forum it is not for everyone. But for me it has been perfect for my needs.
Definitely... That was what made me move forward with it.

The only downside of the exhaust is..... I am driving with the sunroof open to hear more, and Chicago is getting colder every day
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #1325
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep

BTW another question I forgot to ask; did anyone disable the active sound design (fake engine sound inside the cabin) after getting MPPSK? If so, how does it sound before and after?

I was planning to ask the dealer to disable it, but I decided to sleep on it for a while. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:27 AM   #1326
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I have. Already before MPPSK. I could never categorically tell in my car (it was very obvious in a test 428i I had driven), but alone the though thought that silly "feature" was annoying.
Get rid of it! You have it for real, especially with MPPSK.

Many say the sound improves significantly without it.

The dealer won't do it. They are neither capable, nor allowed to do it.
      11-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #1327
kel445
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

MPPSK

I had the MPPSK installed a year ago at Tully BMW in New Hampshire. The total cost was $2518.40 with no tax. This obviously was a special which the dealer was running. This was with the chrome tips and the full tune. I have a 2019 440xi and I'm very happy with the installation. I post this simply as a point of reference as to what I paid. Not sure if this price point is available a year later at any dealership. It certainly was worth my driving from Cape Cod to Nashua, N.H.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #1328
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have. Already before MPPSK. I could never categorically tell in my car (it was very obvious in a test 428i I had driven), but alone the though thought that silly "feature" was annoying.

Thanks. How does it sound in Comfort mode without it?

Also have you used an app to change the programming, or physically disabled it?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #1329
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. How does it sound in Comfort mode without it?

Also have you used an app to change the programming, or physically disabled it?
BimmerCode
      12-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #1330
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BimmerCode
Ordered the adapter. I will hopefully get it tomorrow and give this a shot.

Now thinking back, when I got the car from the dealer I had that AC glitch I mentioned. It is possible that ADS was not working as well, because I remember thinking how silent the car was especially in comfort mode. Sport was really good though, with very nice engine sound. Once the glitch disappeared, car became noisier in a bad way especially in sport. If my guess is true, and the ADS was off when I got the car back from the dealer after installation, that's definitely the setting I want. I'll update you once it is done.

According to my google search, it will be very straightfwd, fingers crossed.

How can I take a backup of the existing settings before I code it out? Also, does the app give option to upload the backup to a cloud storage or something like that?

And last, are there any side effects of disabling the ADS? I've read some people were complaining about hissing sound from their speakers (I have the Harman Kardon sound system).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:50 AM   #1331
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

It is extremely straight-forward

Bimmercode makes an automatic backup when you connect to e certain module. You can then go back to any of the dated back-ups. (The problem often is one does no longer remember what the change was after each of the many backups). Don't think there is a cloud or other backing up.

No side-effects - one stupid, fake system less.
Never heard anyone complain about hissing sound or anything like that related to ASD. I also have the HK.
      12-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #1332
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is extremely straight-forward

Bimmercode makes an automatic backup when you connect to e certain module. You can then go back to any of the dated back-ups. (The problem often is one does no longer remember what the change was after each of the many backups). Don't think there is a cloud or other backing up.

No side-effects - one stupid, fake system less.
Never heard anyone complain about hissing sound or anything like that related to ASD. I also have the HK.
Ok, awesome thanks! I feel like this will be the second best thing I will do to the car after getting the MPPSK installed
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 08:17 AM   #1333
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, awesome thanks! I feel like this will be the second best thing I will do to the car after getting the MPPSK installed
Not comparable The impact is not THAT big, for me it was more the psychological burden of knowing that part of the sound is simply faked!
      12-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #1334
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not comparable The impact is not THAT big, for me it was more the psychological burden of knowing that part of the sound is simply faked!
Yeah I feel the same. In addition, I feel like I will also get rid of some of the drone in sport mode. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #1335
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just did it. I was very nervous but all worked well. I immediately exported the backup to my Google Drive. Then drove around for ~45 minutes.

The sound in sport is now sooo much better, 60-70% of the drone in sport mode just disappeared. When it accelerates, engine noise, exhaust noise is just perfect. Turbo noise is also enjoyable. Much more enjoyable on the highway as well. The amount of fake noise fed to the cabine with ADS was just unbelievable. I must say, whatever happened to the AC also happened to the ADS module when I picked the car. Now it sounds exactly the same as that day.

I guess it is understandable that ASD was enabled with the stock exhaust, but with MPPSK, it was just unnecessary and annoying. And definitely they should give people control over this through the iDrive system. Seriously.

I am so glad this forum/thread exists.

To everyone that is complaining about the excessive droning in sport mode, disabling the ADS makes things a lot better.

Last edited by kirpi; 12-08-2021 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
Skyhigh1926.50
CajunBMW1290.50
      12-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #1336
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just did it. I was very nervous but all worked well. I immediately exported the backup to my Google Drive. Then drove around for ~45 minutes.

The sound in sport is now sooo much better, 60-70% of the drone in sport mode just disappeared. When it accelerates, engine noise, exhaust noise is just perfect. Turbo noise is also enjoyable. Much more enjoyable on the highway as well. The amount of fake noise fed to the cabine with ADS was just unbelievable. I must say, whatever happened to the AC also happened to the ADS module when I picked the car. Now it sounds exactly the same as that day.

I guess it is understandable that ADS was enabled with the stock exhaust, but with MPPSK, it was just unnecessary and annoying. And definitely they should give people control over this through the iDrive system. Seriously.

I am so glad this forum/thread exists.

To everyone that is complaining about the excessive droning in sport mode, disabling the ADS makes things a lot better.
I have been thinking about doing this, but have been so busy recently. Can you provide a short outline of what you did and what hurdles you may encountered? Thanks glad it sounds better.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #1337
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have been thinking about doing this, but have been so busy recently. Can you provide a short outline of what you did and what hurdles you may encountered? Thanks glad it sounds better.
Sure... I used BimmerCode on my Android phone. I bought this ODB2 Bluetooth adapter from Amazon.com (no iOS support on this model): OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for Android and Windows https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00H9S71...ing=UTF8&psc=1

There are actually cheaper ones too. If you go to https://bimmercode.app/ it lists all the compatible ODB2 adapters for iOS and Android.

Once you get the adapter
1. Turn on the car (don't start the engine)
2. Plug in the adapter (it is below the steering column, towards the driver door) then switch to pairing mode
3. Put your phone to airplane mode, and pair it with the adapter
4. Open BimmerCode app and connect using the active Bluetooth connection
5. App will ask for your car. I picked 4 series - M4
6. Once it connects, it will get list of ECUs (takes about 20 seconds)
7. Top one was ASD (active sound design). Click that
8. Select 'deactivate', save and click code (coding will require full version, it was $44. You can buy it beforehand)
9. It will warn you that you will need to use the backup to restore the original setting. It is fine, it takes a backup anyways.
10. It takes 10 seconds or so for the coding to finish
11. Kill the Bluetooth connection, remove the adapter from the car.
12. Turn off the car
13. Open BimmerCode, and from the menu select export backup (top right on the first screen)I saved mine to Google Drive just in case.

You can do a trial on BimmerCode's demo mode.

I waited half an hour before I drove just in case (I think it takes about 20 minutes for the electronics to shut down). Then I drove. It was easy.

If you want to recover original settings plug in the adapter, open BinmerCode. After ECUs are populated, click on ASD, and click the top right button, then select recover from backup. I doubt you'll do it

If you have any questions please reply. I'll try to add more information once I'm home. There were couple of videos I found on YouTube. It is very straightforward.

Last edited by kirpi; 12-08-2021 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 08:51 PM   #1338
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you do it?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:17 PM   #1339
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you do it?
Not yet. Kids, soccer and work have kept me from any free time recently. Thanks for the write up.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 12:03 AM   #1340
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just got mine in the mail. Will be having it installed on the 20th. How do I know they installed the power kit?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 03:57 AM   #1341
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxngs View Post
Just got mine in the mail. Will be having it installed on the 20th. How do I know they installed the power kit?
By reading this thread!
Or at least the last few pages where your question has been asked, again, and answered, again….
      12-11-2021, 08:34 AM   #1342
kirpi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not yet. Kids, soccer and work have kept me from any free time recently. Thanks for the write up.
Np. Hopefully it was helpful. Let us know your thoughts when you give it a shot. I am extremely happy with my decision. It all sounds much better without the fake noise.
Appreciate 0