BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #89
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
We are allowed to pass on the right in Maryland.

Quote:
Section A7 21-304. When passing on right is permitted.

(a) In general.- Subject to the requirements of subsection (b) of
this section, the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the
right of another vehicle only:

(1) If the overtaken vehicle is making or about to make a left turn;

(2) On a highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked
vehicles and wide enough for two or more lines of vehicles moving
lawfully in the same direction as the overtaking vehicle; or

(3) On any one-way roadway, if the roadway is free from obstruction
and wide enough for two or more lines of moving vehicles.

(b) Safe conditions required.- The driver of a vehicle may overtake
and pass another vehicle to the right only if it is safe to do so.

(c) Driving off roadway.- The movement described under subsection (b)
of this section may not be made by driving off the roadway.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #90
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I was not trying to say there is any one explanation of the motivation for all speed limits. I think it is generally safety, I also accept there have been other reasons in some circumstances. I haven't gotten a ticket in several decades and never in a teeny little towns speed trap but I accept that such things exist.

The road is only one thing to be considered in deciding what is a safe speed limit. Without more restrictions on vehicles and drivers, they would seem to be the primary limitation. My son drives his 1978 Ford pickup pretty fast and it is just not as capable as my bimmer.

I think lane discipline is a "mind your manners" thing. Like signaling for turns, letting somebody merge by minorly modifying your speed, not driving side by side blocking all other traffic, not staying in your lane etc.. In general, there are too many rude drivers. They either do not know or do not care about everybody else. People that hog the left lane usually complain about people driving too fast. Possibly another form of rude behavior.

Jim
      06-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #91
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
We are allowed to pass on the right in Maryland.
Thanks for the info, Gary.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #92
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
In Maryland, it is legal to drive nine mph below the speed limit in the left lane.
We passed a law here in Colorado that you cannot cruise in the left lane. You must let faster traffic pass in the left lane. I have not heard or seen this law being enforced yet though.
      06-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #93
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
We passed a law here in Colorado that you cannot cruise in the left lane. You must let faster traffic pass in the left lane. I have not heard or seen this law being enforced yet though.
We have the same law yet I see police pass left lane hogs on the right rather than pulling them over and giving them a ticket. It incenses me.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #94
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
We have the same law yet I see police pass left lane hogs on the right rather than pulling them over and giving them a ticket. It incenses me.
Chicago drivers make me nuts! Nothing worse than some !@#%$ on 355 or 90 going the speed limit in the left lane.
      06-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #95
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

almost every state has a "left hand lane law". You can see if your state has one here:
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

June is Lane Courtesy month. Check out the website:
http://www.lanecourtesy.org/

If you are really interested in driver's rights and repealing poor traffic laws, you should join the National Motorist Association.

http://www.motorists.org/
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #96
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

if i intended to obey the speed limits all the time to the exact speed limit i would not of bought a BMW....shit even in my DD Honda CRV i speed every day usually 10mph over limit and never do i speed on a highway going more than 75 mph..high speed for any length of time takes toooo much concenration for me... it's why i like strong pulls to 60///which end up being to 80- before the car slows down LOL...Man if i was behind Track Rat with his Cruise Control on doing 35mph i would pass him and he probably would flip me the bird driving llke an older fart than me. ...i drive rural county road to work , 20 miles one way with speed limits 30-50 mph and they change speed limits at just about every corner...35 around the corner and go another 50 ft and its 45 again...The problem is that what works for trucks, vans, Suburbans, Minivans and shitty handling cars have the same speed limit as great handling cars that are much safer and can handle speeds better than a truck, but we all have the same speed limit..it will not change, and neither will i breaking the law....almost 40 years and only 1 minor accident and hardly never a ticket....i can handle 55 mph in a 45 no problem....also my PBA cards( i make donations at work to the police...local business).... and StateTrooper decal that was given to my son by his friend, a State Trooper Sergeant ....may help!!! My son is gonna be a cop!!! And he likes to drive fast...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #97
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
I wasn't whining about lousy U.S. drivers, just stating a fact. The whining is from people who want to ignore the law to rationalize speeding. I'll stick to obeying the laws. I do my fast driving on the track or the A-Bahn where it's legal and proper.
If you're not whining about bad drivers, then people aren't whining about traffic laws and fines to try and rationalize speeding.
We're simply stating facts about what goes on.

The comments on "civil disobedience"?
Well, everyone has a right to stand up for what they believe.
The problem with disobedience, related to speed limits, is that there is not a large contingency of citizens that will back you when you do get ticketed.
Some people will sympathize and empathize, but no one besides a lawyer will stand up en mas for your disobedience.
Though I wish there would be.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #98
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Legal, hell - it seems to be mandatory!

But can one be fined for (safely) passing these idiots on the right? I've gotten warnings in both Maine and Montana for that & figured it's a feature of all the states beginning with "M".

Tom
That's good question, because some traffic laws can be perceived as contradicting.
In Indiana, as with most states, you should only pass on the left side.
A few years ago Indiana passed a traffic law that makes it illegal to be in the left lane if there is traffic building up behind you, EVEN if you are doing the posted speed limit. I don't recall exactly how many cars would need to be behind the driver who won't move over, but I recall something about 5 cars.

The problem, and question is, can the drivers behind the "slow" car then pass on the right of said car?
And, if an officer sees this happening, who will he/she choose to ticket, the driver going the limit and holding up traffic flow, or the driver passing on the right?
If he pulls over the slower driver, then does the officer concede that the speed limit is too low?
Doesn't then the legislature also concede that perhaps the speed limit is too low by making it illegal to stay in the left lane even though you are doing the speed limit?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #99
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Simple answers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

The problem, and question is, can the drivers behind the "slow" car then pass on the right of said car?NO
And, if an officer sees this happening, who will he/she choose to ticket, the driver going the limit and holding up traffic flow, or the driver passing on the right?Typically the primary offender (the once commotting the higher level offense) - The one not moving to the right - but in reality the safest to catch.
If he pulls over the slower driver, then does the officer concede that the speed limit is too low?NO
Doesn't then the legislature also concede that perhaps the speed limit is too low by making it illegal to stay in the left lane even though you are doing the speed limit?NO

Next questions...

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #100
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Simple answers....
Depends totally on the state you're in though. In the majority of US states it's not illegal to pass on the right, and it's not illegal to be in the left hand lane when you're not passing. You CAN NOT be ticketed for either in those states. There are only a handful that have those laws in place.

And stop with the obnoxious red text. If people are ignoring what you're saying, it's not because they can't or didn't read it. Making it different colors isn't going to make you any more right.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #101
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Simple answers....
True answers would be better. Passing on the right is legal in almost every state if not all.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #102
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True answers would be better. Passing on the right is legal in almost every state if not all.
Sorry if my post was misleading. My answers were not intended as a universal declaration but were in answer to a very specific hypothetical situation where the passing on the right was presumed not legal but mitigating circumstances caused it to occur anyway. This led to a posed 'how would an enfocement officer react' under these conditions and which perpitrator would be the primary target.

Obviously if it were legal to pass on the right I doubt anyone would be asking the question of 'what would happen in a situation where someone passed on the right.... a.... nothing....

True?

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #103
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Depends totally on the state you're in though. In the majority of US states it's not illegal to pass on the right, and it's not illegal to be in the left hand lane when you're not passing. You CAN NOT be ticketed for either in those states. There are only a handful that have those laws in place.

And stop with the obnoxious red text. If people are ignoring what you're saying, it's not because they can't or didn't read it. Making it different colors isn't going to make you any more right.
Apparantly you were also under the assumption the hypothetical situation being quoted was not an assumption of a condition where passing on the right was presumed illegal. That was the base condition for my answer. As you can read in my reply above, I think we can all agree that if indeed the situation was based on one where passing on the right was legal (as you correctly state it is in most states) there would be no issue and no reason the ask who the officer would try and issue a citation to.

Oh, and I really don't have any sort of hang ups that my posts are or will be ignored. I ws merely trying to visually separate the answer from the quotes, a presentation dynamics tactic used in print quite commonly. So when did you first notice you had issues with red text?

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #104
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
A few years ago Indiana passed a traffic law that makes it illegal to be in the left lane if there is traffic building up behind you, EVEN if you are doing the posted speed limit...

The problem, and question is, can the drivers behind the "slow" car then pass on the right of said car?
Yes, the driver behind the slow car can pass on the right in Indiana.

Quote:
Indiana Code 9-21-8-6

Overtaking and passing on the right; conditions

Sec. 6. (a) A person who drives a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.
(2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two (2) or more lanes of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions that permit overtaking upon the right in safety. Overtaking upon the right may not be made by driving off the roadway.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #105
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
. So when did you first notice you had issues with red text?

When someone started using it in absolute terms in caps in a post full of assumptions with no real bearing on reality.

Are you really talking about hypothetical actions of hypothetical officers enforcing a hypothetical law and their hypothetical implications on the speed limit with such confidence? Seriously?!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #106
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
I don't flip people off. I figure what goes around comes around. I usually wave and toot my horn down the road when you're getting you speeding ticket handed to you.

Have you sought professional help for you lack of control?
LOL ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
driving, anger, or sexual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife could chime in on this one~!!!!!! Driving behind guy's like you...(honest driver who respects the law to the Tee) drives me crazy indeed... I understand why you do it, but going 35 on a back road with no one in site is not my style....on 40mph roads that are clear by me i usually do 45-50....DO NOT GET ME WRONG....i do break the law and it is alway's 40 in a 35 or 50 in a 45 .... Shit i have not even gone WOT in my 135i yet past 60....and maybe that's a crime LOL....
My CRV feels very comfortable doing 5-10 mph over the limit and a safe...If i get a ticket than i deserve it, but at 56 yeras old i have had 1 ticket in the last 10 years...yes, and that probably was you pointing at me doing 40 in a 35 laughing.... when i got pulled over.....your style doing the exact speed limit in all situations regardless of road conditions ONLY to obey the law is questionabale ,... i understand why....but it is not my style and if i am a criminal for doing 5-10 mph over the limit may Moses open the Red Sea again and flood me out!!! Like speed limits there are degrees of criminality...mine is going 5-10 over the limit at times....on a daily basis and when i drive my 135i for fun drives....i go 5-10 over the limit quite oftern and some strong pulls...otherwise what is the point of having a fast well made car....Only to use it on the track.....i do not think so...you can be responsible driver on the road if you pick your spots correctly and do not endanger others with risky shit....but driving 40 in a 40 all the time gets many folks angry, just not me!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #107
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

You are probably quite mainstream in your habits. But the fringe case this thread was started with is not:\
OP - "I think that this needs to be discussed more so heres another thread lol
For those who are new it is over someone who was caught going 101 in a 65."

That's really what has folks polarized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
LOL ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
driving, anger, or sexual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife could chime in on this one~!!!!!! Driving behind guy's like you...(honest driver who respects the law to the Tee) drives me crazy indeed... I understand why you do it, but going 35 on a back road with no one in site is not my style....on 40mph roads that are clear by me i usually do 45-50....DO NOT GET ME WRONG....i do break the law and it is alway's 40 in a 35 or 50 in a 45 .... Shit i have not even gone WOT in my 135i yet past 60....and maybe that's a crime LOL....
My CRV feels very comfortable doing 5-10 mph over the limit and a safe...If i get a ticket than i deserve it, but at 56 yeras old i have had 1 ticket in the last 10 years...yes, and that probably was you pointing at me doing 40 in a 35 laughing.... when i got pulled over.....your style doing the exact speed limit in all situations regardless of road conditions ONLY to obey the law is questionabale ,... i understand why....but it is not my style and if i am a criminal for doing 5-10 mph over the limit may Moses open the Red Sea again and flood me out!!! Like speed limits there are degrees of criminality...mine is going 5-10 over the limit at times....on a daily basis and when i drive my 135i for fun drives....i go 5-10 over the limit quite oftern and some strong pulls...otherwise what is the point of having a fast well made car....Only to use it on the track.....i do not think so...you can be responsible driver on the road if you pick your spots correctly and do not endanger others with risky shit....but driving 40 in a 40 all the time gets many folks angry, just not me!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #108
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are probably quite mainstream in your habits. But the fringe case this thread was started with is not:\
OP - "I think that this needs to be discussed more so heres another thread lol
For those who are new it is over someone who was caught going 101 in a 65."

That's really what has folks polarized.
i agree!! But to some doing 100 in a 65 is just the same as doing 50 in a 45 and it's not...to me anyway...i took my daughter to her AAU basketball tourney today at Farleigh Dickenson University in North Jersey...traveled 287 where the speed limit is 65......i was doing 70-75 in the slow and middle lane and 90% of the folks were passing me.....so go figure....sorry to go off topic, and will leave my final words...yea i am guilty of doing 5-10mph on back roads because the roads feel safe to me as i have traveled them for 22 years 20 miles each way to my store and doing 35 to 40mph does get me totally ...aggitated so i do go a little faster ...and Track Rat....nothing against your style of driving sir....understand it...but it has not worked for me....i do the speed limit 90% of the time, but slow drivers get my?????
not sure of the word...but i will leave it at that PEACE !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #109
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
i agree!! But to some doing 100 in a 65 is just the same as doing 50 in a 45 and it's not...to me anyway...i took my daughter to her AAU basketball tourney today at Farleigh Dickenson University in North Jersey...traveled 287 where the speed limit is 65......i was doing 70-75 in the slow and middle lane and 90% of the folks were passing me.....so go figure....sorry to go off topic, and will leave my final words...yea i am guilty of doing 5-10mph on back roads because the roads feel safe to me as i have traveled them for 22 years 20 miles each way to my store and doing 35 to 40mph does get me totally ...aggitated so i do go a little faster ...and Track Rat....nothing against your style of driving sir....understand it...but it has not worked for me....i do the speed limit 90% of the time, but slow drivers get my?????
not sure of the word...but i will leave it at that PEACE !!!
Im with you. I just don't feel like I'm missing anything. I'm happy driving the limits around town and just enjoying the looks of approval our cars draw.

The performance thrills come from as many events as I can possibly get to. And the thrill level there is so off the charts that nothing breaking the law on the roads can do could compare. It would just be a let down. PEACE back at you....

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #110
tmclssns
Sideways
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW E87 118d

I live in Belgium. Highways are limited to 75 mph. Cities etc. are limited to ~30 mph or ~45 mph depending on the fact if the road has two or more lanes, if busy places or buildings are nearby, etc. Whenever a school is in the immediate surroundings the maximum allowed speed is ~18 mph.

I do believe law is good. Following the law is good too - but - I'm wondering why we don't have variable speeds for certain periods. Take the school environment speed limitation. It's only in place during school days (so excluded are weekends, holidays, etc) and during school hours and it makes sense. Why would you drive 18 mph (before this change in the law, you were allowed to drive 30 mph there) when there is a lower risk of causing an accident?

Now, why can't we do the same for highways? Of course you'd be crazy to drive +100 mph during busy traffic hours. But whenever I have to work late, I drive home to Antwerp from Brussels and take the R0 (that's a highway ring around the city of Brussels). It's empty, no one's there except maybe a few other unlucky people like me that had to stay up late at work. Why can't I drive 100 mph then when the environment and setting allows up to such speeds? I'm not saying you *should* drive that fast. Take Germany and the Autobahn. Parts have no speed limit and yet not everybody (in fact I think +90%) is taking their car to the maximum.

What you get with these "silly" speed limits is people don't care as they don't see the purpose of it. They don't slow down for road works as they know at 75 mph it's still safe to pass. In Germany, everybody on the road is more disciplined. I often wonder why? Mentality? Education?

During workdays everybody is pressed, driving faster but somehow it works. Left lane is often faster than the others, people go at 100 mph (and above) without accidents. Whenever you drive like that during weekends, you continuously have to brake for people changing lanes without indicators, etc. it's like "a different kind" of people is on the road during the weekend.

It also has come to my attention that even due to the higher left lane speeds, most traffic accidents occur on the right lane of the highways. Am I really the only one that notices such things? Higher speed driving comes with more responsibility, more attention to the road and other drivers. While this is no excuse to break the law, someone should seriously for once reconsider the laws we have in place regarding speed limits.
Appreciate 0