BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-19-2024, 08:44 AM   #23
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, GT350, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
hard to tell from the pic if it's just surface or structural (some spots do look like it's more than just surface), so i'd budget on refreshing the rear end, including at least a sand blast / powder coat for the subframe, at worst a new subframe. that's a few K depending on how involved you get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Rear subframe on all E9x is steel & almost always has at least some surface rust even in no snow/salt states if the car was driven in rain..
An E9x driven in snow/salt zone will definitely look like this.. It’s the only underbody part on these cars that rusts!
New rear subframe is just under $1,000 last I checked but is labor intensive..
Not sure if sandblasting/rust proofing at this point would help.. just drive it & replace in the future when needed..
Yeah I am thinking after sleeping on it, can slow the spread best I could and address it more thoroughly when it becomes an actual problem. It would be garage kept only driven on dry days so that would help.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:26 AM   #24
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep

Car has been purchased! Now arranging transportation and getting the garage ready fit it in next to the mustang. Gonna be tight in there. Now we wait for BE bearings to get in stock, will minimize driving it around until I get those in.
Appreciate 2
kolosy1508.50
a5m617.00
      04-27-2024, 02:49 PM   #25
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep

On the way!! Parts ready and making some space in garage
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
a5m617.00
      04-27-2024, 05:54 PM   #26
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Congrats! I got a similar pic of when mine was getting loaded up for delivery. Good memories

Loving the GT350. Two high revving naturally aspirated V8s. Good taste

Curious, why the Liquimoly? Looks like you're doing the work yourself. Nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 06:25 PM   #27
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
Congrats! I got a similar pic of when mine was getting loaded up for delivery. Good memories

Loving the GT350. Two high revving naturally aspirated V8s. Good taste

Curious, why the Liquimoly? Looks like you're doing the work yourself. Nice!
Nice!! Def a good photo to cherish the memory.

Arguably some of the best sounding V8’s! I feel like I’ve accomplished a life goal lol.

It came with the rod bearing kit on ECS Tuning and my mechanic suggested it. I’ve read the divide on it here, not sure where I stand with it yet. I considered doing the work myself but opted to have a pro knock it out. Basic maintenance is more in my wheelhouse lol.
Appreciate 1
a5m617.00
      04-29-2024, 07:48 PM   #28
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep

It’s arrived! So relieved. Next up some detailing and getting those rod bearings replaced. What a journey it’s been!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #29
egebhardt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3, 2024 Nissan Pro4x

I think it might be worth removing the subframe, sandblasting, priming, painting.
Sure you can buy a new one but they don't have much coating on them either.

The other thing is:
It would be REALLY nice to have a second subframe ready once the rusty one comes out.
The swap is so much faster as you can bolt in the new one and start putting parts on it immediately. Makes the disaster workplace duration much shorter. I bet you could find a used one to refurbish.
Appreciate 1
PiZauL87.00
      Today, 05:24 AM   #30
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
I think it might be worth removing the subframe, sandblasting, priming, painting.
Sure you can buy a new one but they don't have much coating on them either.

The other thing is:
It would be REALLY nice to have a second subframe ready once the rusty one comes out.
The swap is so much faster as you can bolt in the new one and start putting parts on it immediately. Makes the disaster workplace duration much shorter. I bet you could find a used one to refurbish.
Yeah I’ll be looking for a replacement one to prepare. For now someone suggested liquid film that I’ll just spray after wire brushing everything loose, that stuff worked wonders on my horribly rusted Geo Tracker many years ago. Took the car to Maryland state inspection yesterday and guy didn’t say anything about it, car just needs new front rotors which I just ordered. Huge sigh of relief!
Appreciate 0