BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-13-2024, 07:50 PM   #1
beckumf
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Codes Help (Need to pass smog)

Hello all,

So I recently bought an E92 with knowledge that there were some codes on the car due to the valved/straightpiped exhaust that is on the car. I’ve been trying to get the car registered in Oregon because I am a student here, but I live in California and everything has been going good but I just need to pass a smog test. The gentleman that inspected my car flunked my test, obviously, because i’m getting a few emission codes. The three he told me I need to get fixed are P2626(02 sensor Pumping current circuit open), P0030(HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1) and P0128(Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature). I called a mechanic shop to see if they could help code it out for me and they basically said they’d bang me for $150 and I just wanted to see if there was maybe any DIY or alternate routes I could take. If anyone could help me ASAP that would be awesome, thank you !
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 12:20 PM   #2
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E83 X3, E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
I'd wager your thermostat failed and isn't getting to temperature in the allotted time for this fault to flag.

Look at the wiring to the bank 1 O2 sensor. Make sure it's not covered in oil or something. If you end up replacing the O2 sensor, I'd recommend replacing both the front banks.

Post some pictures and report back. GL!

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 01:42 PM   #3
beckumf
Rep

Hey RocketyMan,

So basically I just need the codes turned off. I’m not too worried about them because I am familiar with the O2 codes from the straight piped exhaust but the thermostat code on the other hand i think i can just disregard. From all the forums and manuals that I have been reading through, all the symptoms of this code could be obviously broken thermostat which i know is working because i use it everyday, my car warming up slowly which it warms up at a normal pace, and a broken sensor.

I am not too worried about it right now, and I just bought a FoxWell ScanTool that I am going to be using to turn off the codes so I can go pass smog. I heard if you do this, and the code still comes back up for the thermostat, then I might have a problem! I am just trying to avoid going to some shop and have them tell me what I already know for $150 and then charge me even more for some sensors. Thank you so much for your input, i’ll let you know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:54 PM   #4
beckumf
Rep

Update to anyone who cares:

Did not work. Drive cycle wasn’t finished which flunked my smog test. The foxwell scan tool did its job, however the codes just came back after the car was turned off then back on. Still trying to figure out what to do. If anyone knows any good shops in the Portland Oregon area that could help me out, that would be awesome!

Thank you😎
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:10 AM   #5
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E83 X3, E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Yeah. I think I read enough to agree with you and recommend you taking it to a shop, too.
Portland, Or?...call Andrew. His shop is off airport way.
Good luck.

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:13 AM   #6
beckumf
Rep

What shop is Andrew located at?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 05:11 AM   #7
RileySimmons
Registered
Rep
Drives: mustang 1969

Any update on that? Is everything well now? I am also doing well because I have completed my thesis work and approved it. It all happened with the help of this https://domypaper.com/ website. When I thought I was not able to complete it on time, I took help from them, and they handled it so well, and the price was also affordable. If you are also nearing the deadline, you can visit them.

Last edited by RileySimmons; 04-21-2024 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 11:04 AM   #8
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

i mean the first question is, is your car tuned? if so, flash back to stock.

secondly, just replace your 2 primary o2 sensors.. easy diy. since you never mentioned doing it.

third, the gasket from your header to xpipe is probably blown.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 11:14 AM   #9
beckumf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
i mean the first question is, is your car tuned? if so, flash back to stock.

secondly, just replace your 2 primary o2 sensors.. easy diy. since you never mentioned doing it.

third, the gasket from your header to xpipe is probably blown.
To anyone that might be wondering, I took my car to a shop to have the O2’s looked at. The sensors are perfectly fine, nothing wrong with them at all. All my other codes popped up due to the O2’s.

SO, as of yesterday at the time of this post I put my car on the Evolve-R Stage 2 tune because i’m fully straightpiped and catless lol. All of the codes are completely gone and then car runs incredibly smooth now, and on one of my forums I talked about steering feel being a little wonky at higher speeds and after evolves adjustments on the servo’s it feels AMAZING.

Hope this helps anyone in need, lmk if you guys have any questions !
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 11:15 AM   #10
beckumf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileySimmons View Post
Any update on that? Is everything well now?
Check my recent response 😎
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #11
beckumf
Rep

UPDATE(Problem Solved):
For anyone still running into not passing as an issue, here is what I did.

My 09 E92 M3 is completely straightpiped with no cats and I had to pass emissions in Oregon which is a very picky state, just as bad as California. What I did is what I believe to be one of the best methods because it provides some longevity to the problem! Basically, I got my two upstream O2 sensors replaced because they got fried from previous owner running straightpipe without tune. I then put the car on an Evolve Stage 2 Tune and had the CEL removed. After flashing the tune, the CEL was still present but all I had to do was reset the drive cycle a couple of times and make sure all monitors were ready. Be aware, this took me 5 DEQ trips to pass. Be patient, and make sure you are following all the steps of the drive cycle in order to make sure the monitors are “Ready”.

Good luck, hope this helps someone 😊
Appreciate 0