E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 Roof Rattle fix?

12-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

E93 Roof Rattle fix?

I've been getting a slight rattle on my e93, i've done some searching and it seems like a lot of people have this issue and some have fixed it by "lubing" the seals but nobody explains what that means exactly.

Can anyone explain to me what exactly "lubing the seals" means?! or if anyone has any insight on a good fix for this roof rattle please share!

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Jarrod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 335is

Where is the rattle coming from? If it's near the latches above the windshield, this is fixable by installing shims under the alignment pins.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I have this issue! Is there a link or DIY we could follow because I would pay good money to get this fixed!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
Jarrod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I didn't DIY this particular fix - I had "fix the hardtop rattle" written into the purchase contract, and the tech told me what the fix was.

First, you can verify if this is the particular rattle by applying slight upward pressure on the hardtop right next to the windshield and near one of the two latches while going over a bump that you know would have caused the rattle. If that silences it, then this fix should work.

The way it was described to me is that you use a deepset socket to remove the conical locating pin on part #6 in the following diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=54_0365

Then reinstall it with one or more of the 54377148164 washers installed as a shim. Mine was on the right latch and required 2 washers to take it from rattling like mad over every little road imperfection to dead silent even over big bumps. I think the washers come in a bag of 4. These are the leftovers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jarrod; 12-07-2016 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
I didn't DIY this particular fix - I had "fix the hardtop rattle" written into the purchase contract, and the tech told me what the fix was.

First, you can verify if this is the particular rattle by applying slight upward pressure on the hardtop right next to the windshield and near one of the two latches while going over a bump that you know would have caused the rattle. If that silences it, then this fix should work.

The way it was described to me is that you use a deepset socket to remove the conical locating pin on part #6 in the following diagram.

Then reinstall it with one or more of the 54377148164 washers installed as a shim. Mine was on the right latch and required 2 washers to take it from rattling like mad over every little road imperfection to dead silent even over big bumps. I think the washers come in a bag of 4. These are the leftovers.
thank you for the information. I think my rattle is actually coming from the rear most of the time but I'm sure this will be helpful for a lot of other members
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #6
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This is exactly what's wrong. If I place my left hand on the top left hand corner of the roof, the rattle goes away.

I will be fixing this promptly!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Jarrod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
This is exactly what's wrong. If I place my left hand on the top left hand corner of the roof, the rattle goes away.

I will be fixing this promptly!
Sounds like it. Super, hope you get it knocked out. It was described as a super-easy 10 minute fix. If you can post a couple pics that would be awesome. Since I didn't get to see it done, and it isn't clear from that diagram, I am not sure exactly where the washers go. It sounded like he was describing that they go on the back of the locating pin, thus moving it slightly farther out so that it fits more deeply into the corresponding hole at the top of the windshield. Not 100% sure on that, though. Let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Jarrod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
thank you for the information. I think my rattle is actually coming from the rear most of the time but I'm sure this will be helpful for a lot of other members
I still have a slight rattle that sounds like it comes from the left rear when I go over bigger bumps. There is also a tiny leak back there - I found two drops of water next to the left rear window after a big rainstorm the other day. Unsure if the two might be related or not. Probably not but I got a bottle of Gummi Pfledge and will go over all the seals with it this weekend, to help keep them supple.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like it. Super, hope you get it knocked out. It was described as a super-easy 10 minute fix. If you can post a couple pics that would be awesome. Since I didn't get to see it done, and it isn't clear from that diagram, I am not sure exactly where the washers go. It sounded like he was describing that they go on the back of the locating pin, thus moving it slightly farther out so that it fits more deeply into the corresponding hole at the top of the windshield. Not 100% sure on that, though. Let us know how it goes!
I'll see if I could get to it on Saturday. If I do, I'll definitely post pictures. Thanks for the guidance.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I still have a slight rattle that sounds like it comes from the left rear when I go over bigger bumps. There is also a tiny leak back there - I found two drops of water next to the left rear window after a big rainstorm the other day. Unsure if the two might be related or not. Probably not but I got a bottle of Gummi Pfledge and will go over all the seals with it this weekend, to help keep them supple.
i just ordered a bottle off amazon yesterday, should get here sat and I plan to try it out
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #11
Tucker020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
I'll see if I could get to it on Saturday. If I do, I'll definitely post pictures. Thanks for the guidance.
Did this work? If so, could you provide socket size and what all was involved to remove pin? Also, could either of you provide the measurements of the washers? Would rather just run to Hardware store than have to wait for them to ship.

Thanks for the info.....this rattle has been driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
Krynos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, F10 528i

Lubing your seals is exactly as it sounds - you take lube, and place it on your seals lol.

There is a really good write up over on bimmerfest...but the basics of it is:

1. Stack your roof and stop it, go put the keys somewhere else so the roof will not move on you accidentally. Turn the car off of course.

2. Clean your seals with gentle soap and water. just enough to dampen, clean and remove dust and crud. Not enough water to drip or run into your interior. It's at this point you realize how many feet of seals the E93 has.... seems endless once you inspect it.

3. Along all your seals apply at the minimum - Gummi Pfledge, or much better is Krytox grease (a little goes a loooooong way).

4. While you are at it get some Wurth 2000 penetrating lubricant spray and lube up every joint you can find in your roof, start at the trunk and work your way forward. Don't forget the pins and receivers at the front along the windshield tops.

5. If you are feeling particularly diligent take a trombone cleaner and run it through all the seals with rain gutters / drains so they are clear.

6. May as well inspect the strings that control the roof lining while you are all up in here. Replacing worn and frayed strings is pretty cheap, simple and quick and can save you major $$'s on dealing with the damage if they snap.

This should help a lot and it maintenance all E93 owners should do at least yearly.

There will always be some clunk or rattles if you hit a pothole or similar, but in normal day-to-day use on a semi-decent roads it's shouldn't be rattling.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #13
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

^+1

I lubricate all of my seals and joints 4 times a year and never hear any rattles or have leaks.

The only time I hear creaking is if I accidentally get my interior protectant (Griot's) on the rear chrome strip where the rear roof shell seals to the trunk. Cleaning it off and re-lubing the seal fixes that.
      02-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #14
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

For more details on what lubing the seals means look here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=609222

It also covers the linkage which also needs attention...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #15
Tucker020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

Thank you for the responses. I will definitely be doing all of that. I remember coming across that post a few years back and it actually crossed my mind the other day to try and find it again. So fun2drive, thank you for re-posting it and the hard work that went into making it. Curious on how often the motor itself needs to be maintained. I've NEVER had a single issue with my top since I bought the car in 2010 *knocks on wood*, so I've never had it serviced. Does it need hydraulic fluid replaced at a certain point?

My rattle sounds more like metal on metal though ( like the pin shim situation described above)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #16
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

forgot to update this thread! I lubed my seals with gummipledge and it didn't do anything, then after some more research i used dupont krytox and it almost got rid of all the sounds! i'm a believer!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-92.../dp/B0081JE0OO

It's cheap and is compatible with all rubber compounds. Only a super light coating is necessary.
I also use Gummy Pledge right after cleaning the seals to condition them, then use the silicone.
      10-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #18
sklr
Rep
Drives: e93 `07

You must be very careful how many shims you put there! It will stop the rattle, but if there is a 1-2 shim more than needed it will leak. It's best if you have pressure washing machine to test for leaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #19
SirHoward
Captain
Rep
Drives: Da Car I Wanted

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #20
R6jay
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330i, F33 330d

Smile Fixed - Thankyou soooo much

Quote:

Well, I have to say a big thank you for this. The rattle was driving me insane. So, i went to my local dealer, i have a great relationship with them having bought 3 new cars over the past 5 years and asked the service team if i could speak to a technician over this. haha, good relationship, not! they said two hours investigation time required... BS, so i bought parts as per this thread and took a 13 mm socket to the pin, removed it, fitted two washers, they are very thin BTW, id say 1 mm approx, and refitted the pin. Et voila, problem solved. This car was a replacement for our summer drive weekend car, an old Z4, and id have happily moved it on with this noise. Now solved, we are happy! I joined the forum so i could post this thank you, can't say how much i appreciate the wealth of information on here as it has helped me resolve a number of little gremlins.
BTW, took less than 10 minutes although i took the op to Gummy Pflege the seals and oil the moving parts too, so maybe 20 total....
Cheers
J
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #21
Innes Ireland
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 520D & 2007 325i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
I might be able to help - I had this rattle from the left rear for a year or more. It was coupled with a slight creak when the car flexed, (going up a kerb etc). Tried everything. Got the missus to drive me round in the back seat - Still couldn't find the source.

In the end it was the small hinged plastic squares at the rear of the parcel shelf, which rise up to allow the roof arms to extend. Can't see those? No, they're hidden - that's why. Here's how you check. Start to open the roof and stop when the roof is stacked and the rear deck is about half way up. The plastic squares can then be got at. Wiggle and flex them slightly - don't break them! One of mine creaked when moved. That was both the creak and the rattle that had been annoying me for a whole year. A drop of silicone or WD stopped it completely.

But it taught me a lot. In trying to find this rattle, I learned how to lube and service the whole roof, how to dismantle and re-assemble the boot and back seat assemblies and a whole lot more. So I got to know the car a lot better.

I hope that this will help some poor soul out there.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2019, 02:31 AM   #22
M3drop
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innes Ireland View Post
I might be able to help - I had this rattle from the left rear for a year or more. It was coupled with a slight creak when the car flexed, (going up a kerb etc). Tried everything. Got the missus to drive me round in the back seat - Still couldn't find the source.

In the end it was the small hinged plastic squares at the rear of the parcel shelf, which rise up to allow the roof arms to extend. Can't see those? No, they're hidden - that's why. Here's how you check. Start to open the roof and stop when the roof is stacked and the rear deck is about half way up. The plastic squares can then be got at. Wiggle and flex them slightly - don't break them! One of mine creaked when moved. That was both the creak and the rattle that had been annoying me for a whole year. A drop of silicone or WD stopped it completely.

But it taught me a lot. In trying to find this rattle, I learned how to lube and service the whole roof, how to dismantle and re-assemble the boot and back seat assemblies and a whole lot more. So I got to know the car a lot better.

I hope that this will help some poor soul out there.
I am having this issue right now in my M3... I will try to do what you said tomorrow morning and maybe post some pics.

Real loud rattle coming from rear passenger side. I haven't opened the roof yet to inspect, but opened the trunk at the gas station, noticed a plastic cover for the roof contraption when the top goes down in the trunk. It was loose unlike the one on the driver side and may be the issue for my rattle.
Appreciate 0